• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which controller do you think is the smoothest for a smash game?

Sai_

Smash Apprentice
So, I've been playing Smash with a Gamecube controller all my life until I got a Wii U and Project M, so I was forced to use Classic Controller Pro. I just got a GameCube controller adapter so now I can use the GC controller. It definitely feels weird; wave dashing and L-Cancel took me a few minutes to get used to because of the GC controller's "hard" buttons, whereas CCP has soft buttons and is easier to manage, but GCC has all the buttons nice and close together. I found preference over GC controller but CCP is not bad either. What do you guys think?

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
It's mainly based on preference. More people seem to like the GameCube controller, but I have heard of people using Classic just as well as other people use GameCube controllers. I personally use a GameCube controller because that is what I grew up on and I don't own a Classic Pro controller. But they do both have their merits. The CP controller has one more button than the GC controller, but the buttons are a bit more spread out.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I would suggest anyone who is thinking of changing to a wireless controller think twice if they want to play in tournament settings eventually. Such controllers can often complicate things with mixed signals/accidentally being bumped on and interrupt a tournament match. Not to mention that they inherently have more input lag than a corded controller (how much this affects you is on a person-by-person basis). Larger tournaments often ban devices such as wavebirds since they use radio frequency, rather than Bluetooth to connect.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
White Official Nintendo GC Controller

Go big or go home

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
If its not an official gamecube controller I don't want to use it.

Although I occasionally play with a wii remote (No nunchuk) for Maximum salt.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I use a GCC but I want to switch to CCP. While I like the GCC I don't think I'll get better with it because I've played with too many controllers with legitimate shoulder buttons. But who am I to judge. More than enough people have proven it's a great controller for Smash. It just

MLGF

Smash Lord
I have a Classic Controller, the old kind, for when there aren't enough GC controllers to go 'round and I want to induce max salt.

Zujx

Smash Apprentice
Gamecube Controller forever and until the end of time
me and the gamecube controller just running around having adventures all 100 years.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've never played Smash on a non-Gamecube controller (barring of course Smash 64, and nowadays I play that on Wii VC when I do play it, so I use a GCN controller anyway) so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I couldn't see myself using the Classic Controller Pro because of the position of the control stick. I've never liked it down there on any controller (looking at you Playstation) and for Smash I could see it being a real problem.

sushifreAk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cyb3Rnite
3DS FC
4554-0880-9460
Getting used to CPP right now so it doesn't hurt as much when Smash 4 comes out and you have to say goodbye to your GCC.

Sai_

Smash Apprentice
Or get the GCC adapter. I just got it yesterday and it works perfectly, but probably not allowed in tournaments. I prefer CCP's shoulder buttons because they are soft pressed and it's easier to wavedash with those than GCC, but everything else wins in GCC.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Or get the GCC adapter. I just got it yesterday and it works perfectly, but probably not allowed in tournaments. I prefer CCP's shoulder buttons because they are soft pressed and it's easier to wavedash with those than GCC, but everything else wins in GCC.
You should look into removing one or both of the springs in your GCC. It really makes a difference.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I'm too used to a GC controller. I have a feeling I'd be using an adaptor with the Wiimote when Smash 4 comes out since the Wii U has no GC support.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Gamecube controller.
I actually really enjoyed using my Classic Controller Pro when I did, but I kept fudging up because if I changed the controls so ZR and ZL were switched with R and L I kept reflexively hitting them as if they were normal.

Sai_

Smash Apprentice
Oh my that looks awfully hard to hold. I'm already having trouble holding the Wii U gamepad in my hands without getting exhausted after a few minutes of holding that damn heavy brick, but this...

archedmaid

Smash Apprentice
I use the nunchuck, but its not convenient for throws, shielding/evading, or side taunting.

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
Up on D-pad is Usmash
Left/right on D-pad is grab
Down on D-pad is jump
Tap jump off

everything else is default.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I tried out all of the normal available options just to see which is way better. It depends on how you like your hand placement and the size of your hands. Muscle memory is also key. Though you can train your stupid body to finally realize that you're holding a nunchuck/classic controller and NOT a GC controller eventually. I treat my electronics with care, but wear and tear, along with heavy pushing will still take its toll. My Wavebird (wireless GCC) is on its way out and official GCC died. However, this was AFTER TEN YEARS. TEN. FRICKEN. YEARS. WHAT. They deserve actual funerals and all. Of course, playstation, xbox, and gamepad controllers will be attending the funeral - assuming they can stay alive ong enough to actually attend it.

I say base them on functionality and durability.

Wiimote: whywouldyoueven (good for super simple characters like Brawl Metaknight). Very durable. It's meant to be shaken and stirred, of course it's durable~ You won't be doing anything fancy with these.

WiiChuck: now we're talking. Buttons are a bit funky and not as easily accessible due to the shape. Very durable; same as above. Doing anything fancy will be hard.

Classic Controller: better for those with smaller hands since it's just so thing and light weight. If you are a button masher (heavy inputs), you will destroy this thing before it's first unpacking day/birthday. The Pro controller has handles like a GCC, so you can alleviate some of the button-pushing-pressure, thus making it last a bit longer. This thing has the durability of a decent 3rd party GC controller. However, it has all the buttons you need to do wavedashing/techs/whatever.

Gamecube Controller: It's the masochist of the Nintendo world, next to the Gamecube and Nintendo DSfat. You can mash the hell out of buttons and jam the control sticks however you want it, the GCC just says "Yo is that all you got? lel weak bro." However, this is the official GCC, not a crappy 3rd party one. GameStop's brand of choice is OK, but it will die on you in a few months time. The official one costs twice as much, has a bigger cord, and better durability that assures it will last long enough to see several of its unpacking days/birthdays.

Buuuuuuuuuuut, by this point I'm sure you have your preferred controller.

NameChange

Banned via Warnings
I mainly use the classic controller but I can also use the Gamecube controller should I have to alternate

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
This is like, what, the 50th controller thread in the P:M section now? XD

Oh well. As always, Classic Controller Pro with custom controls for me. ¦D

BILL?

Smash Apprentice
When I smash with other people, I use a genuine GCC from Nintendo. The controllers belong to my practice crew although some of us bring our own when we do mini-tournaments.
At home, I use a heavily modded Gamestop controller. The control stick is from a PS2, and the C-stick was made by filing down the original Gamestop control stick after the rubber fell off. The L-trigger has a modified spring, and I removed the rumble thingy. The Y button was shortened to make it more like the GCC button in height and sensitivity.
It actually plays quite well, but it is wearing down and is 'not the same' as the nintendo controllers.

I'm going to buy a legit nintendo white GCC soon and get it over with.
GCC? $40ish.
Not having to **** with the darn thing constantly to make it feel like a 1st party GCC? Priceless.

Top Bottom