• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which 3rd Party Franchise do you think needs a new rep?

Which Franchises needs more Reps?

• Total voters

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Smash has a ton of 3rd Party guests characters these days. And back then a lot of us thought there wouldn't even be more than one character per company. But now we have characters like Ken and Richter as secondary reps in their franchises. Granted they're Echo Fighters but still this makes me think. Which already represented franchise do you think needs another rep?

For me I'd say Sonic. Sonic has been in Smash since Brawl and unlike Snake hasn't been removed and has basically become a main stay in the series. He's the third party character with the most appearances through out the series being in Brawl, 3DS, WiiU and Ultimate. That's 4 out of 6 Smash titles. Let's not forget the fact he almost made it into Melee but only didn't because of time constraints. But still after all this time he's been the only rep of his series despite how much demand there is for another Sonic fighter and how big the franchise is. Knuckles and Shadow are assist trophies so most likely they won't be in. Tails already got a Mii Fighter costume through DLC which may be enough for some to count him out. I'd say Dr. Eggman in his Egg Mobile. Using weapons from his multiple boss fights like the wrecking ball from Sonic 1, Big Arm from Sonic 3 and the tools on the Egg Dragoon from Unleashed.

What do you think?

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
I'd shoot for final fantasy. Kind of mixed on that one because it'd be 2 songs 2.0 but FFT is my favorite game in the franchise and Ramza is one of my favorite characters.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I honestly prefer another Street Fighter rep like Chun-Li or M. Bison or another Mega Man rep like Zero or Tron Bonne. But the truth is that if there is any 3rd party franchise deserving of more reps or secondary unique fighters it's Sonic. The franchise is so iconic and the cast is just about or almost as iconic as the Mario cast. Tails, Dr. Eggman, and Knuckles definitely need to happen at some point.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Sonic totally needs a second rep

Shadow or Knuckles would be my main choice, Knuckles as a Semi-Echo and Shadow as an Echo.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Sonic

Why it haven't happened yet is beyond me. I'm hoping there will be one during the second DLC wave

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
"Need" is a strong word, I don't think it's really the case for 3rd party series in the same was that it is for 1st party.

Still, Sonic should clearly be first in line if any established 3rd party series gets a unique newcomer. Eggman would be my pick, I think with the format of Ultimate's DLC it's much easier to base a DLC pack around him than it is for sidekick characters like Tails or Knuckles, and alongside Sonic he's one of two characters to be in the series from its very first game. His mech fighting style would also be really unique, I know Bowser Jr already kind of does it, but Eggman would really go all the way with it.

Final Fantasy is also a good shout and would be my second choice. I think in that case it would be better to pick someone from outside FFVII, because even if there's a lot of hype for it at the moment, it's already represented in the game. Terra would probably be my pick as FFVI is a proper Nintendo classic, although maybe her game is more iconic than herself. Black Mage is another option, although despite being very iconic he's admittedly not much of a character, but rather a class.

If I got to pick anyone I'd want, I'd pick Guile or Alucard, but they are obviously not realistic, and it's not like more SF or Castlevania characters are a priority.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Its Sonic, really. Sonic is sooooooo deserving, its not even a contest. For my picks, Knuckles or Eggman. Sonic has long since earned it as a third party staple and near Nintendo merge. 2nd, I would vote Metal Gear Solid. Lets be realistic, people.

SneakDuckens

Smash Cadet
NNID
heiny13
Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with Sonic here. I would love a Shadow echo along with whatever main character ended up in the fighters pass. I realize that isn't feasible but a man can dream.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'm gonna go on a whim and say Persona. My gut feeling says there's a lot of untapped potential both in Smash and in cross-console relations by Nintendo working further with Atlas. Also, music.

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
i would say Sonic! i still think Shadow should had been a playable character
such a shame and disappointment they didn't do this >.>
but Silver, Amy, Blaze,and Rouge would be interesting options too just for the fact they have their own and different fighting styles
Tails, Knuckles and Eggman just feel meh to me, seeing them as a fighter just don't really interest me i guess. but i am not against the idea just well..not very thrilled about them,
probably cause i got my fave Sonic characters and i prefer to see any of these first haha

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Sonic. It's ridiculous that so many niche first party series have more fighters than Sonic.

Tails, Knuckles, Eggman in the Eggmobile and a Classic echo would be my choices. (or Classic replacing Modern of course.)

Honestly Sonic rep in Smash has never been that good, for quite possibly the most requested fighter in Smash history, they gave him a really bland moveset.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm gonna go on a whim and say Persona. My gut feeling says there's a lot of untapped potential both in Smash and in cross-console relations by Nintendo working further with Atlas. Also, music.
.. What? Nothing compares to Sonic's untapped potential in priority other than Metal Gear. I'm not even a priority fan of either series and I can still admit both are seriously deserving.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
.. What? Nothing compares to Sonic's untapped potential in priority other than Metal Gear. I'm not even a priority fan of either series and I can still admit both are seriously deserving.
Oh, so this thread is "Can everyone please say Sonic deserves the next content"? Thanks, I'll leave.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I said street fighter because chun-li means a lot to gaming and Sakeria says street fighter 2 is the best fighting game. But it was a close call between that and Sonic. I know everyone loves sonic and he deserves a second rep after so many years.

Top Bottom