• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where you AGT? The Official Toon Link General Discussion/ Video Thread!

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
But when would it even be better? Even if they weren't expecting it? >_> You can't just do a mix-up for the sake of it. It's slower, easier for the opponent to react to/punish and it doesn't look like it offers any defensive advantages in comparison to options like sweetspot dj, sweetspot up+b, tether, wj -> waveland or wj -> b-reversal. In that specific example it even put TL above the edge when he was close to the stage which is an awful position since it's very easy to just gimp him with a ground based poke that sends at a normal angle if he's not sweetspotting or landing on the stage.

TL?

Smash Ace
Is the TL skype group still a thing? I just started playing P:M a few weeks ago and decided to learn TL.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
sry for offtopic-ness

4253 - 3604 - 6891
add me if you have pokemon, and let me know if u did so i can add you back

LOL

also add me back to the tl skype group. i wanna see what u nerds talk about lool

D

Deleted member

Daze comes to the TL chat group, maybe warming up to smash again
LOL NOPE POKEMON YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Jolteon

No way did I just get called a nerd by a 24/7 sm64 speedrunner.

lol jk <3 u daze.

Wingman1106

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone, ive never been to a tourney, but ive played smash for years and its something im looking to get into. Toon link is my main and i was wondering why there is never a toon link placing in tournaments? Is he just at that big of a disadvantage? Has anyone gotten close with him?

Jolteon

Toon Link is good enough to place well in tournament, if you've never been to a tournament before your main focus should be to change that and also to improve.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Toon Link is good enough to place well in tournament, if you've never been to a tournament before your main focus should be to change that and also to improve.
I REALLY want to go to a tournament, but there are virtually none in my area. The only one reasonably close(4HYPE) was postponed indefinitely.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I live near Kansas City. Given that it's a big city. I'm sure there ARE some local players, but I've never found any. The tournament listings are all in Illinois or Michigan or something, & I can't convince any of my friends to try P:M. I almost was able to bring it to a tournament my school's debate team is hosting, but they shot me down because, "they don't want any mods."

Jolteon

I would suggest looking in the regional zones and on facebook, some areas have groups there. Otherwise I'm not really sure what to say. :v

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
By "regional zones" do you mean like clicking "Midwest" on the Smashboards tournament listing page, or something else? That's what I've been checking. I'll look around facebook once I get home(pesky school web filters).

Jolteon

There is a forum subsection on the front page called regional zones. You can find discussion and info about regional zones there.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Ask around a lot. Go to those sub-forums and ask where you would go to find Kansas payers. It's a very connected community, and everyone will want to help, but it's your initiative. :D

Check out the local PM player project too.

D

Deleted member

Wait what? I actually haven't ever seen this before. I'd imagine jolt has but this is really interesting

SpiderMad

Smash Master
how do lucas and rob do this with out bombs?
You can do it out of any attack that causes you to be in hitstun(or tumble?), You wiggle the control stick left and right to escape hitstun/tumble earlier and then Tether (for Lucas), Idk how Rob does it maybe he has to throw a Gyro I forget.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I assume it acts like Zelda's Naryu's OOHit-Stun thing, but because it's AGT, it's sexier.

I miss the 2.1 BS Grabs that the Links both had. :p

Jolteon

I think you need to revise how you use TL's projectiles and use his movement/normals more. Like, in the first match you have this mexican standoff situation with Ivy, except half the time you're throwing bombs at Razor Leaf or being hit by Razor Leaf when trying to pull out a bomb, you should be taking advantage of FH bomb pulls against Ivy since this will enable you to pull out a bomb without getting hit by Razor Leaf. If you simply utilise the space you have better you'll find that you're being hit with less crap and you have more control in neutral.

To elaborate on projectiles: It looks to me like your game plan with projectile use is to rack up damage with them, which isn't really utilising them to their full potential. Yes, his projectiles do solid damage and have considerable range, and he has the speed to play a keep-away game, but they're also quite easy to avoid and you will lose space by doing this and you will find that this doesn't work out in your favour. Instead, I would suggest looking at his projectiles as a way of limiting your opponent's options/space, easing up how you interact with your opponent by making your own options stronger (relatively). For example, look at the act of a bomb pull as literally just expanding your options. You don't have to throw it away immediately, simply by holding on to it Ivy has to respect the fact that you can punish her jumps/aerials with bomb -> combo and you can play to that strength with a waiting game. In doing so, you will notice that you pull bombs less frequently and that they work out more in your favour. In general, you should be using bomb/rang to force actions and then react to the option they use to try and get around your projectiles.

I'd also suggest sharking with uairs more when you have Ivy in the air. You're letting him land far too easily.

You played a lot better vs Pikachu. I think the projectile issue is still prevalent though, for example at 5:08 you throw a rang at him and he jumps at you with a thunderjolt (very risky), instead of pulling a bomb you should have naired into him or JC usmashed his landing. I'd also suggest using more nairs vs chu to make it harder for him to get in, his hitboxes are pretty poor and its easy for sex kicks to stuff them out.

D

Deleted member

Part of the thing is I've never played vs Ivy offline before as tink, I've played vs this guys pika and a few others as well...
Thanks for the feedback, I understand all of it.

Top Bottom