• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where Robin should be Buffed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverNote98

Smash Rookie
NNID
RiverNote98
Switch FC
2363-3348-2129
As You know Mewtwo has had a speed buff and Corrin got a walk and run speed decreased by 0.5 So I was wondering, Should Robin get a run speed buff in his arsenal because when I play robin his walk and run are almost identical and I guess you can Argue that he has boots and a tactician Robe so his speed is reduced but I say that's a dumb excuse considering you can make Robin's speed your best stat in Fire Emblem Awakening I don't see why you cant just buff his walk and run speed just a little bit. I hope I'm not the minority that thinks this is dumb and Robin needs that buff.

Last edited:

LevinViolin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CaptainLinebeck
3DS FC
4038-6039-4160
Well you're definitely not in the minority when you say that you think Robin needs a speed buff, but you'll probably find a lack of that opinion over here.

The reason why is because from a balancing perspective, it makes sense for Robin to be as slow as they are. Their moves are fairly powerful, and surprisingly quick. Their projectiles are also very strong. It makes sense that they would be lacking in overall mobility as a result; we don't want people to be able to run circles around their opponent barraging them with various spells, do we? Yes, it doesn't make sense that their design in Sm4sh partially ignorant of Robin's potential in Awakening, but this definitely isn't the first time a smash character has been changed from their source material (I'm looking at you, Ganondorf).

Robin's speed isn't particularly a hindrance either, unlike Mewtwo. Robin doesn't need to move fast to do what they're supposed to do. There's a fundamental difference in the design philosophy between Mewtwo and Robin. Mewtwo is a glass cannon character, Robin is not. Mewtwo's previously low speed made just being in a match against certain characters dangerous because of his light weight. People could outspeed Mewtwo and kill him before he could weave out of harm's way. Robin is a character that relies on projectiles to apply pressure from a distance, and their inability to escape a faster(or every) character is the reward which the opponent is granted for getting past said projectiles. This is why Mewtwo got his speed buffed twice and Robin's speed hasn't been touched since launch.

For the sake of not turning this into a thread solely about Robin's speed issues, what does anyone reading this think about Robin being buffed? What should be buffed? Should anything be buffed? Should anything be nerfed? (pls no) What does everyone think about Robin being changed? What needs to happen to break Robin's "low-mid tier" stigma?

RiverNote98

Smash Rookie
NNID
RiverNote98
Switch FC
2363-3348-2129
Well you're definitely not in the minority when you say that you think Robin needs a speed buff, but you'll probably find a lack of that opinion over here.

The reason why is because from a balancing perspective, it makes sense for Robin to be as slow as they are. Their moves are fairly powerful, and surprisingly quick. Their projectiles are also very strong. It makes sense that they would be lacking in overall mobility as a result; we don't want people to be able to run circles around their opponent barraging them with various spells, do we? Yes, it doesn't make sense that their design in Sm4sh partially ignorant of Robin's potential in Awakening, but this definitely isn't the first time a smash character has been changed from their source material (I'm looking at you, Ganondorf).

Robin's speed isn't particularly a hindrance either, unlike Mewtwo. Robin doesn't need to move fast to do what they're supposed to do. There's a fundamental difference in the design philosophy between Mewtwo and Robin. Mewtwo is a glass cannon character, Robin is not. Mewtwo's previously low speed made just being in a match against certain characters dangerous because of his light weight. People could outspeed Mewtwo and kill him before he could weave out of harm's way. Robin is a character that relies on projectiles to apply pressure from a distance, and their inability to escape a faster(or every) character is the reward which the opponent is granted for getting past said projectiles. This is why Mewtwo got his speed buffed twice and Robin's speed hasn't been touched since launch.

For the sake of not turning this into a thread solely about Robin's speed issues, what does anyone reading this think about Robin being buffed? What should be buffed? Should anything be buffed? Should anything be nerfed? (pls no) What does everyone think about Robin being changed? What needs to happen to break Robin's "low-mid tier" stigma?
As for anything else I believe his down tilt could have less of knock back that would be nice to have a follow up dash attack. For forward throw I say angle it so you can hit thoron a bit more easier since it's sort of difficult so have a follow up for forward throw unless for spacing. Speaking of throws buff his up throw like Jesus Christ it kills at 330% for fast fallers like Falcon 350% for heavy characters like DK 235% for light characters like Jigglypuff and 310% for mid weight characters at least make it have more growth at higher percents, I feel it should kill at 145% - 170% at least. Another thing make his grab range a lot more better it's one of the shortest grabs in the entire game for goodness sake. I cant grab the opponent on for glory with me eating a very hard punish.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
U-throw is useless by design and doesn't need to be buffed. The other 3 throws do everything they need to.

Grab range does not need to be better, because Robin's reward off of grab is insane.

LevinViolin LevinViolin already correctly covered why Robin's run speed shouldn't and likely won't get a buff.

I will now be locking this thread, as several others like it already exist and you can post in one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom