• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where are all the Shulks on For Glory?

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
In all the time I've been on there since release, I have NEVER seen Shulk show up in a single match in 1v1 For Glory.

80% - Little Mac
20% - Rest of the cast except Shulk

I really want some Shulk Time in For Glory at least once instead of the Mac Bandwagon.

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
Only Shulk I've ever seen was this guy who was just cycling through characters every match. It's a bit baffling, honestly. At first, I would think Shulk is 'that really awesome dude with a crazy beam sword' that even people who don't know him would be using a lot. Yet I've never truly come across one.

My friend who planned on maining Shulk since his reveal dropped him very early on, saying he felt very stiff and awkward, and didn't like managing the arts. I think a lot of people are turned down by how he plays? His attacks are quite slow and unorthodox, and on top of that, he has Arts management. All his other B specials are very situational attacks...

I guess it's either the above, that he's a very complex character, or... People just don't find him appealing? Maybe they don't like his accent.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I play Shulk as a secondary, and while I'm not great, I'm decent at best. I did run into one out of the 500 or matches I played, but I ended up 2-stocking him without much effort. So yeah, I guess not enough people on FG are "feeling it". :(

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
It's probably Shulk being a complex character trying to manage his arts and all. Instead you get Mac after Mac.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Because Shulk isn't easy-to-play & his learning curve is super duper high, so basic attack patterns aren't very effective when playing Shulk. I admit I was turned off at first, but that was natural when he didn't play the way I "thought" he'd play like. Adjustment was done but yeah, not a lot of people are feeling it.

Last edited:

Daryl

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1693-1886-6962
Agree with everyone.. I'm too maining Shulk and haven't really face any Shulk user.

Shulk has high learning curve, managing art is quite difficult at beginning. This things may turn down some people..
Also I think Shulk has a slow recovery from side b or up b give a lot of room to punish.

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
Shulk doesn't really have slow recover with Up B, considering it's his recovery. His Side B on the other hand you may want to just hand out on occasion. But really, I'm kinda disappointed that FG isn't "feeling it" at all. #NeedsMoarShulkTime

MHFsilver

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2878-9786-7166
Every Shulk I find just jumps around and counters. I would also like to find at least a decent opponent in For Glory that isn't a Little Mac.

They thought back slashing was the plan with Shulk

Then it didn't work

Then they stopped using him

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
If people thought Back Slash was the go-to plan, then we're all back-stabbing shameful swordsmen.
:troll: Owell I'll be feeling it regardless.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Because people can't comprehend the almighty Nair, that's why. :p

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I've faced a total of 3 other Shulks in For Glory, and one of them was those cases of "haha I'm beating you with my main so lemme take you on with your character."

It didn't work out for him.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I haven't seen another Shulk since like release day and it's a little sad since dittos can help you get better at matchups, you know. Guess other Shulk users back slashed to their death and never came back :^)

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I'm sure that when/if a notable enough player picks up a Shulk and shows something even moderately impressive people will jump all over him.

But for now, I'm enjoying the slight feeling of superiority that comes from knowing that my For Glory opponents literally have probably never faced someone like me.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I fought one...We then had like 10 Shulk dittos.He won while I was Link then I won(barely),Then we were both Shulk and he won like 5+ times,but I was getting better(I was feeling it!),I won 3 times then suicided as I had to go.TLDR:Shulk dittos are the funniest match in the game!

Sui

Smash Cadet
NNID
sui892001
3DS FC
5344-0231-3607
I've faced a total of 3 other Shulks in For Glory, and one of them was those cases of "haha I'm beating you with my main so lemme take you on with your character."

It didn't work out for him.
These are basically the only times I face Shulk in For Glory too, unfortunately. I've got some 800 matches or so, and I have faced a FEW more Shulks than those people that use Shulk just because you're using Shulk, but they're VERY few and far between. The only character I think I've seen less of online in For Glory is Wii Fit Trainer (literally, I think I've seen ONE in those 800 matches).

I think Shulk players in For Glory definitely have a reputation for being easy to beat though (probably because of the learning curve and being easily punishable when you don't know how to use him). I have yet to lose to another Shulk in For Glory, and most (most, not all) of the other Shulks I face pretty clearly don't know how to use him effectively. It's unfortunate. =/

CWBY

Smash Rookie
NNID
fireball3k
i think the only times i ever saw anyone use shulk online were one guy who played him first match, then another who switched to shulk after i'd whooped up on him with the same. it's a pity, too; shulk dittos are really fun.

i actually don't see that many people playing little mac online, at least not on for glory. that's a matchup i'd like to learn better.

Omniomega

Smash Apprentice
I have faced 2 other Shulks, beat them both, and both had different play styles.

The first being the style of no idea what the hell he was doing.

The second was the buster and rush down style.

Other than that it's been nothing but Marth, Sheik, and Greninja.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I have faced 20-30 of them. Most of them spam backslash and up-throw to up tilt (Not a real combo.) Also, shield at 0%. Big plays.

Dilligaf

Smash Rookie
Finally found another Shulk after about 100 games. Played 3 ditto matches (I won all of them), and switched to Fox. I don't think he mained him because he overused his counter and rarely used his arts, going only for Smash on occasion, but still good games.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Um.... I think one of the Shulks here actually do that and win a lot.
Oh wow, I am curious now. He becomes combo fodder with it activated basically, so what does said player do to counter that?

Last edited:
Oh wow, I am curious now. He becomes combo fodder with it activated basically, so what does said player do to counter that?
Well, I don't know. He only uses Shulk specifically against Little Mac as far as I know

@ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer

Well, I don't wanna bother him though so I don't know why I tagged him >_>. My bad

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
You don't become combo fodder any more than you are normally. It ****s up people's strings because you don't really go anywhere, although I suppose when people learn that they can adapt.

You'd take less hitstun though, I wonder if that affects comboability as well.

I really don't feel like Shield at 0% is that disadvantaged to you.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Combo fodder maybe, but not really because we can escape out of them with panic Vision or buffering a doublejump+AirDodge. Or you could laugh at the attempt of being juggled & only taking ~20% in total because Shield reduces damage taken like a B0SS.

Combo fodder maybe, but not really because we can escape out of them with panic Vision or buffering a doublejump+AirDodge. Or you could laugh at the attempt of being juggled & only taking ~20% in total because Shield reduces damage taken like a B0SS.
Vision can sometimes be unreliable. Don't get me wrong. I use this also but I've also missed the vision attack a couple of times.

I'd rather soak up the damage.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Vision can sometimes be unreliable. Don't get me wrong. I use this also but I've also missed the vision attack a couple of times.

I'd rather soak up the damage.
Yes. . . .take a dip in that bath of damage. .:shades: Maybe then all the Shulks would occur more often in FG:shades:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I've been too busy playing Smash Run to play For Glory. ;-; I just need that one last Achievement in the top-right corner of the third panel, and my life will be complete. I'm like nearly there on trophies and I'm working on custom moves atm.

I've already memorized the Smash Run map and all the enemies game just work with me pleez. I've forgotten how to fight real people.:tired:

I've been too busy playing Smash Run to play For Glory. ;-; I just need that one last Achievement in the top-right corner of the third panel, and my life will be complete. I'm like nearly there on trophies and I'm working on custom moves atm.

I've already memorized the Smash Run map and all the enemies game just work with me pleez. I've forgotten how to fight real people.:tired:
You didn't miss out on much

They still love rolling

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
My friend who planned on maining Shulk since his reveal dropped him very early on, saying he felt very stiff and awkward, and didn't like managing the arts. I think a lot of people are turned down by how he plays? His attacks are quite slow and unorthodox, and on top of that, he has Arts management. All his other B specials are very situational attacks...
This, he was my most anticipated newcomer and the first character I used ofc...but as I've said in other threads, he feels like a weaker, slower Ike. I understand his monado arts and all but when I play for Glory I'd rather use Mario, Pac Man or Donkey Kong over clunky Shulk, maybe when I can play on a gamecube controller I'll give him another shot. I still play him now just not as much as I thought I would.

Last edited:

CommanderVimes

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0275-7625-7862
I've probably used Shulk in For Glory more than anyone else, in my top 3 mains atm. I've played about 250 FGs, and maybe 1-2 have been against a fellow Shulk. I think there are a few characters I have seen less though, or not at all. I do not recall ever fighting DK, Charizard, Olimar, or G&W.

As for who I see the most, probably Ganondorf, Little Mac, and Falcon.

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
I don't think i've seen one decent Shulk in for glory (Not that i see much Shulks in the first place), barely any use the monado arts, most of them spam back slash/vision & in general are awful.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
So I guess it's a safe bet that the only way you're going to play a decent Shulk is by exchanging Friend Codes, sadly. Also, why do people spam Back Slash, anyway? Do they expect us to roll into it....Oh wait. Yeah they do, nevermind.

Sui

Smash Cadet
NNID
sui892001
3DS FC
5344-0231-3607
...but as I've said in other threads, he feels like a weaker, slower Ike
More like a more versatile, able to adapt to any situation, version of Ike. If he feels slower than Ike and weaker than Ike, you're not using your Monado arts properly.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
I'm a Shulk main, I've been playing him in For Glory for 3 days straight. If you've seen a "sWiTcHeRoO" before, that's me.

I neglected him a bit at first because of some flaws of his that worried me, but I'm feeling more in control now.
Helps a lot that I learned not to rely on Monado Arts entirely. I get my ass kicked less now.

Also, people wanting to play Shulk can't go in with the mentality of a Marth/Ike player, he's not like them at all and it honestly annoys me that some people shut Shulk down as an option because of this. He's completely different from every swordsman yet, and not just because of Monado Arts.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
More like a more versatile, able to adapt to any situation, version of Ike. If he feels slower than Ike and weaker than Ike, you're not using your Monado arts properly.
As if they are all that complex, :p

I wish I was wrong but I don't see that I am yet.

I need to use him more, on FG all the few Shulks I've faced just spam Back Slash and fsmash

Last edited:

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
As if they are all that complex, :p

I need to use him more, on FG all the few Shulks I've faced just spam Back Slash and fsmash
It's not about complexity, but rather all the options available to you because of how drastic their buffs (and drawbacks) are. Not only do they force you to change your playstyle on the spot, but your opponent's too, which is both a blessing and a curse depending on how good both players are at handling the Monado Arts on themselves and if fighting a Shulk using them.

I wouldn't take terrible For Glory players into consideration when it comes to a character's potential BTW. That shouldn't even need to be said.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I said I need to use him more, obviously scrubs who spam those attacks and don't even use his arts don't affect how I see him lol.

He has loads of potential, I guess I'm not fond of his moveset and hitboxes.

Last edited:
Monado arts say hi and yes, even until now, they're still complex. We haven't even tapped all of the art's potential

But anyway......

He's a faster runner and walker than Ike. His attacks are faster than Ike's by a margin overall. Additionally, one of our aerials has a landing lag of 12 frames while Ike's least laggy aerial has 16 (N-air). The damage is understandable because Shulk has longer range and quicker speed than Ike in general. Giving him more power would give less incentive to use Ike over Shulk

Overall, he's a faster, longer ranged, weaker Ike if anything which automatically changes when switching to whatever art. I've already tried out Ike btw. Actually, it isn't gutsy to say that Shulk being a slower, weaker Ike is factually wrong. Well, almost factually

Hope you have a jolly good time though

Last edited:
Top Bottom