• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When People Taunt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
I seriously want to break their thumbs. And I mean just in general. It doesn't have to be a taunt after a kill either. If the match starts and I see someone do the Capt Falcon "Come on!" taunt it seriously just makes me want to say "OK you go sit at the kids table, you have shown us you're not a big boy." For some reason in this game is just makes me so irritated and instantly makes me boil. I have no explanation for this. Maybe it's because the taunts aren't fun like Team Fortress 2? And don't use the "it's in the game that's what it's for!" argument either. Yeah, and I could Bowsercide every last stock, but I'm not a huge ****.

I can't be alone on this. I have 0 explanation of why this pisses me off so much in this game because taunts don't bother me at all in any other game.

Yoship

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yoship2
3DS FC
1865-3001-1257
I don't really get mad over taunts, it rather fuels me with energy to take them out.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I don't really get mad over taunts, it rather fuels me with energy to take them out.
Same here, I see no point at getting angry over it, When I am taunted, I get better at playing. Besides, I taunt all the time because I like to tease the player a little bit... Not to be mean.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I taunt every time I play a new opponent to demonstrate that I'm not taking things too seriously.

I suggest you learn to control your emotions and not resort to juvenile reactions before accusing others of being children. No need to get upset, it's just a game.

raymundoTheGod

Smash Apprentice
I seriously want to break their thumbs. And I mean just in general. It doesn't have to be a taunt after a kill either. If the match starts and I see someone do the Capt Falcon "Come on!" taunt it seriously just makes me want to say "OK you go sit at the kids table, you have shown us you're not a big boy." For some reason in this game is just makes me so irritated and instantly makes me boil. I have no explanation for this. Maybe it's because the taunts aren't fun like Team Fortress 2? And don't use the "it's in the game that's what it's for!" argument either. Yeah, and I could Bowsercide every last stock, but I'm not a huge ****.

I can't be alone on this. I have 0 explanation of why this pisses me off so much in this game because taunts don't bother me at all in any other game.
We're the only people that get mad over this. I take taunting seriously, like they're saying "hahayousuckimbetterthanyouyouretooslow". Of course that hits a nerve, because taunting literally means "a remark made in order to anger, wound, or provoke someone". How else are we supposed to take it from a complete stranger online without any communication?

Link24242

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4184-3214-6215
I get a little annoyed when people taunt after they KO me, but I love it when people taunt at the start of a match. If I can make it to them fast enough I get a free hit and make them look really stupid.

Yorsh

Smash Apprentice
We're the only people that get mad over this. I take taunting seriously, like they're saying "hahayousuckimbetterthanyouyouretooslow". Of course that hits a nerve, because taunting literally means "a remark made in order to anger, wound, or provoke someone". How else are we supposed to take it from a complete stranger online without any communication?
Well, since it's the only way to communicate, we (at least I) don't use it only to actually taunt every time.

What it can mean, imo:
After a KO :
- Get rekt (yeah, ok, it happens, just leave after the game if you think he meant that)
- Oh ****, I just did something cool
- I have nothing else to do and I like the taunt animation

After getting killed :
- Well played budy

After a double SD or something funny :
- Haha

In the middle of the fight :
- Stop running away and fight

At the start of the game :
- Hello
- Well played last game

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
I seriously don't get this new trend about people getting absolutely getting pissed off at a simple animation and putting words on their opponents mouths.

Seriously, that's all they are.

An animation that does nothing, and in a lot of cases, means nothing too.

Last edited:

raymundoTheGod

Smash Apprentice
I seriously don't get this new trend about people getting absolutely getting pissed off at a simple animation and putting words on their opponents mouths.

Seriously, that's all they are.

An animation that does nothing, and in a lot of cases, means nothing too.
I'm sure two "Come on step it up" Taunts in a row mean nothing.

Roast Grief

Smash Rookie
I taunt at the start of matches as a sort of polite bow before the fight.
I taunt after KOs because Melee conditioned me with the fighter pose bonus. Plus, after KOs I have a free moment anyway.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Well, since it's the only way to communicate, we (at least I) don't use it only to actually taunt every time.

What it can mean, imo:
After a KO :
- Get rekt (yeah, ok, it happens, just leave after the game if you think he meant that)
- Oh ****, I just did something cool
- I have nothing else to do and I like the taunt animation

After getting killed :
- Well played budy

After a double SD or something funny :
- Haha

In the middle of the fight :
- Stop running away and fight

At the start of the game :
- Hello
- Well played last game
Never thought of it that way...
Why are you such an angry person?
I support this question. Why EXACTLY are u mad at taunts? I played smash bros since I was 4 and I never got mad over taunts.
I taunt at the start of matches as a sort of polite bow before the fight.
I taunt after KOs because Melee conditioned me with the fighter pose bonus. Plus, after KOs I have a free moment anyway.
Perfect way to use taunts before battle dude. That's cool actually... I need to start doing that

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
I love it when they start with a taunt, gives me a free laser on then. And often I then proceed to own like I own most noobs on FG 1v1. Besides the practical benefits of getting free hits if they are not taunting carefully I really do not care if they taunt or not.

I do taunt myself though, R.O.B.'s uptilt makes it look like he is raising the roof if you spam it so it is a fun way to celebrate a victory , a kill, or just the match going well. I also taunt when I kill the opponent and am losing, implying that I will not give up!

Aside from that I think that the OP is childish himself for getting angry at trolls in a game. Maybe you can use Smash to practice self control. Not getting angry at pointless things is much better for your happiness.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't taunt at all but that doesn't mean I have a problem with other people taunting. They do it anyways no matter what you think.

MrChickenNipples

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4485-0725-3171
Taunts don't bother me if they taunt after a really nice KO, but if they taunt after I SD because of lag, then yes, break their thumbs off and shove them down their throats.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I always taunt like a madman when the opponent SD's!

Sometimes I even pretend that I am going to SD too but then I recover or fly below the stage. At least the latter gives them a good chance to gimp me, so they should not complain.

Last edited:

Honest

Banned via Warnings
I find taunting to be quite disrespectful personally. I don't really get angry when someone taunts though, it honestly just makes me want to win the match that much more to prove to them that I don't deserve to be taunted and that I am a worthy opponent.

D

Deleted member

It kind of depends on the taunt like Sonics "Youre too slow" taunt is annoying but ones like pit's are cool.

Kornaki

Smash Cadet
I taunt after every KO, even if I'm losing. I'll play a guy four or five games in a row, lose every one and still taunt after I kill them. Why? I don't know, it's mildly amusing.

If it makes you mad that's probably some slight psychological edge to me?

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Hmm, ok, maybe it's only me.
Just because I'm curious, what do you think when someone taunt at the start of the game for example ? Or after you killed him ?
I think that is exactly the stuff the would taunt for...

ViciousZen

Smash Rookie
I'll taunt with the intent to piss off my opponent, because an angry opponent is predictable. Thanks for being that guy. <3

Dr.Megaman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dr.MM20XX
3DS FC
1392-5817-5075
Taunts are mean't to be disrespectful. Don't get upset. I like using Megaman's down taunt at the end of the match to make it look like I teleported to the victory screen :)

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
I taunt every kill. It seems like you're just like my brother. One time, I was playing a match with him, and I had a very annoying strategy. When I killed him, I taunted and he went furious. Anger in taunts are quite common. Now, if someone spikes you, or does some awesome trick that kills you, and then taunts, DON'T RAGE! They've done something that makes them feel good. They really do deserve that taunt.

But if you die in a way that's like lag... Rage all you want.

TheKingWalnut

Smash Apprentice
I don't taunt unless the other player taunts.
The only time I'll taunt before the other player taunts is if I get a spike or hit someone with a tree.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I taunt every kill. It seems like you're just like my brother. One time, I was playing a match with him, and I had a very annoying strategy. When I killed him, I taunted and he went furious. Anger in taunts are quite common. Now, if someone spikes you, or does some awesome trick that kills you, and then taunts, DON'T RAGE! They've done something that makes them feel good. They really do deserve that taunt.

But if you die in a way that's like lag... Rage all you want.
You do not have to deserve the right to taunt it is just a game. One should never let someone else control his emotions using a mere game. Why would having a weak personality ever be a good thing?

It is not about what the opponent does. it is about how you react. You can not control the opponent but you can prevent getting salty and having a bad time by reacting without rage.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I don't understand why people get mad at taunting, it's just for fun. If I taunt when playing locally I'll probably get punched tbh, all cause I want to see Zelda wave and say what I like to imagine as "bye *******"

Honestly, If they taunt after a kill they kinda deserve it to be fair

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I really hate it when Pikachu does its pikaaa pikaaaaaaa taunt after koing

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
Taunting can be taken so many ways because there is no defining reason as to why you taunt. For some it may be an insult, for some (like me) it might be a way of seeing "Holy f**king **** did you see what just happened?!". Define it as you will. Some people even taunt after literally every kill, for no reason, even if they're being decimated.

Either way, you can take it as you want to take it. If you feel that they're using a bunch of pixels on the screen to taunt you, then it kinda shows how mature they really are. It's just a game, it's meant to be played for fun. If you get really worked up over something as silly as that then you're as mature as they are. Be the bigger person and shake it off. You're better than that. (This isn't aimed at the OP, I mean in general, I'm not targetting anyone.)

I really hate it when Pikachu does its pikaaa pikaaaaaaa taunt after koing
Personally, rather than taunting, I prefer to crawl backwards with him. It's cute a f**k. cx

Last edited:

InsaneSanity

Smash Rookie
NNID
InsaneSanity
3DS FC
3797-7902-2713
To be safe, I never taunt (I also use that time to charge up another gyro!). But I do rapidly crouch just to show I'm having fun sometimes.

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196

I used to have this opinion. I really did and then I realized. It may mean more than what I see. Because taunts can mean many things. Because there is no text chat, it may be a way to communicate. Because of this, they may be saying, good stock, or something along those lines. It doesn't piss me off nearly as much now.

1FC0

Smash Lord
To be safe, I never taunt (I also use that time to charge up another gyro!). But I do rapidly crouch just to show I'm having fun sometimes.
You can often do both though. Or use uptilt as psuedo taunt, just spam it a few times.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Honestly, I don't see what's so wrong with taunting... It's just a animation of 60 fps inside a screen. I only get mad at taunts when I lose to spammers/campers... and when somebody uses Falcon's Up taunt! Now that's annoying.

ntw3001

Smash Rookie
I do rapidly crouch just to show I'm having fun sometimes.
Great party guys! *crouches repeatedly*

I find it irritating when people don't taunt after a KO. If you have a laser to charge or whatever then fine, but don't just stand there. You have several seconds and a selection of animations. People should be taunting at all opportunities. If you're using Wii Fit Trainer, crawling back and forth is an acceptable taunt substitute.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
When an opponent taunts, I just see it as them having a good time and taunt too. I try to keep from taunting if I play as Sonic, because I know how horrible it is to fight a Sonic player. Also, I taunt a lot if I am playing as Pit vs a Dark Pit, because my character is clearly superior ;)

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
My favorite time to taunt if after a lag SD, and my opponent gives me a charity stock. I immediately run to the opposite end of the stage, and taunt, as a thank you, and as a way to reset the match by being at a distance from my opponent.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I do squats or down tilts. Gotta keep the momentum pumping.

Sometimes I dash dance for fun. I only taunt when I do something sick or the guy played like a total tool and got destroyed for it.

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
I don't taunt but if I ever get a stock taken away from me and proceed to hear a taunt afterwards from my opponent I'm going to bump my play a bit more so I can win.

It doesn't get me mad, it just triggers something inside me along the lines of "Go kick this guys butt". I don't know, as soon as I hear someone taunt against me when I get KO'ed, I'm going to make sure he loses that match cause screw him for taunting me.

If I win in the end, you know who's going to taunt who in the last few seconds of the game :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom