• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When is Nair preferable to Uair?

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
When I juggle my opponent I almost ALWAYS use the Uair.

It's easier for me to use and I can use it really quick.

Another reason is that I can't position my self very well when I use my Nair. After a falcon boost (if they shoot straight up) I follow with an Nair and then Uairs (OR A KNEE!!!). That's about it. When I try to use the Nair any other way, I either stop too short or I overshoot it.

So should I be using my Nairs more often? Or will the Uair be suitable enough?

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I think nair has a bit more hitstun at low percents so I use it alot in combos at low percent. But nair->nair combos can easily be DI:d, so overall uair is better (for comboing).

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
um this isnt brawl were we talk about hitstun. nair is falcons main approach. for combos they are sexy. if you follow your opponents di youll be fine. you probably cant shffl very well since your asking this.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
There are lots of professional and good players in Edmonton, among them are Falcon players, including myself. For god sakes, instead of constantly asking questions here, just come to one of our smashfests and tournaments. (We had one today for example.) You'll get MUCH better that way and you'll be getting advice from the experts.

You live in one of the strongest and most active cities in Canada. I haven't a clue why you're not taking advantage of it.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
um this isnt brawl were we talk about hitstun. nair is falcons main approach. for combos they are sexy. if you follow your opponents di youll be fine. you probably cant shffl very well since your asking this.
Off course you need to talk about hitstun, it's what makes combos work >.> How could you even talk about hitstun in brawl btw, there isn't any
But let's keep this dicussion to melee and melee only.
And nothing would suggest that he's not good at shhfling. Maybe he's just not used to falcons type of comboing yet, or just felt like asking for advice <.<

And to halcyondays, about spacing the nair properly for combos read angelbangelo's falcon guide and go to the part about nair->nair->nair combos (and watch his falcownage vid so you can see how it looks, the link is somewhere in the guide) Remember that these combos are very DI:able though, theyll get out if they DI up and towards you. But if they do they'll set themselves up for an up air so it's win-win. :laugh:

Spacing it properly for combos is real hard in the beginning because you don't want all forward momentum in the jump or else you'll go flying past them before the second hit of the nair connects.
Otherwise you can the uairs if that's working for you. I like using the nair alot though, it's good when they're to low for the Uair.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Pretty much to use Nair in combo's, especially at low percents, you need to learn how to DI to place yourself in the correct position to follow up the second hit. Try practicing on a ganon, as they're easiest to hit with (but you still need to watch them so you don't get faired in the face)

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
Low percent nair will lead to grabs and easier comboing.

Mid percent uair is usually better but there are times where they DI down and away where you can follow with nair then.

the overshoot under shoot problems is fixed by just playing and learning the range.

Top Bottom