• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When is drill rush preferable to mach tornado?

juantendo8

Smash Cadet
Hi, I just wanted to ask 2 quick related questions.

1. In what situations would the drill rush be a better move choice than the more reliable mach tornado?

2. In general, how can the drill rush be integrated into MK's game so that it is useful and actually helps him? What are its best and most reliable uses?

I feel like the drill rush is a bit like dead-weight on my moveset right now and I want to start using it more. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

HolyForce

Smash Journeyman
It has a few uses but primarily recovery in certain situations.

On a map such as Final Destination, it has the potential to recover to ledge from off-screen bottom, and many other locations. Great option to use all your air jumps off-map to chase your opponent(s) down then drill back to map.

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
1. In what situations would the drill rush be a better move choice than the more reliable mach tornado?
As a vertical recovery move?

Kiryu

Smash Rookie
I drill rush when hanging from the ledge to get back onto the stage, really handy. Also, throw it out when someone knocks you away from them to instantly kill the away momentum and get right back on top of them.

giuocob

Smash Journeyman
For vertical recovery, Drill Rush can recover onto the stage from pretty much anywhere. That will probably be your main use. Mach Tornado actually has better horizontal recovery than Drill Rush, so I find myself either cycloning or gliding back to the stage most of the time. Also, I've found that following a Uthrow with DR almost always gets a few hits on the opponent.

ckm

Smash Journeyman
alot of ppl poo-poo the use of drill rush on here, but despite everyone calling it punishable, I still use it for more than recovery. I will admit that I sometimes get in trouble for it, but if I didnt get more benefit than punishment, I would quit. One move that works fairly often (depending on how they react) is Dthrow > Drill rush. Alot of times, an opponent will DI away fromt the throw, and often will tech /roll away when they land. The drill rush will catch them when they do this, and land a good amount of hits. Afterwards, your spacing will often be perfect for a Dsmash too. This can be avoided if they are expecting the move, but I catch ppl alot with this. Just dont be predictable. Another big thing I like about this move, is its ability to cover a large horizontal distance very quickly. Sometimes I am trying to apply pressure to my opponent, and they manage to create a good amount of space between us. often, when fighting a player who likes to camp or just has nasty projectiles, I will use drill rush to catch up with them and keep the pressure on.

Honestly, the only time this move seems punishable is when you do one of three things:

1) space it wrong, and end the attack in front of them, or too close behind them (allowing them to shieldgrab or counter)

2) Use the attack in a vertical direction as an attack. The best way to use it as an attack is to either be horizontal, or angle it downwards. Downwards is good because it knocks them back enough that you wont have to worry about recovering.

3) Become predictable, allowing them to react with a counter (or to space themselves for a good counter or shieldgrab)

Try it out, lemme know what you think.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Besides using it as a recovery option his Drill is pretty good because its hitboxes. I'll explain

The Drill is a good approch move. While Meta's tornado is more wide when it attacks, the Drill's narrow hitbox along with controllable angle makes his moves pretty effective.As Ckm just said, the Drill can be used for punishing/approching spammers. afterwards if you're angeling it as to you pressing him down and such, you can go on with a Dtilt or a Dsmash (depending on their damage meter and knockback).

Another good use of it is for pressuring the shields. Majority of characters (especially small ones like Olimar) would suffer his Drill, as they can't take all of his attack (careful though, there are some that could actually block the entire thing like Dedede).

Like all other moves TRY not to spam it. The more you do the drill/technique, the faster they'll catch on and counter attack. Also, when they shield, (I'm not sure if this is all) they CAN grab you out of it during/ending of the attack, so watch out as well.

juantendo8

Smash Cadet
This is all really great advice. I'll try it for vertical recovery instead of always using SL. I'll see how I can implement it as an approach to projectile-spammy characters and try angling it downwards. I'll try it just as a surprise attack every once in a while and try chaining throws into it. I'll also try it as a punisher for reckless techs. I believe that should be most of what was said.

I also thought I read somewhere that the cool-down lag of the drill rush could be canceled on the edges of platforms such as in battlefield. If this is true, how could this be translated into another edge to MK's drill rush game? Lagless drill rush = awesome weapon.

StealthFighterX

Smash Journeyman
Ckm thats some great advice you took most of what i was gonna say. I like using it while i pretend to run away and just turn around and drill rush them into the ground. My main problem is a become to predictable with it and opponets get use to it...the mindgames in this game really matter. I think theres a vid of that drill rush cancel or something...i dont really remember.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Ckm thats some great advice you took most of what i was gonna say. I like using it while i pretend to run away and just turn around and drill rush them into the ground. My main problem is a become to predictable with it and opponets get use to it...the mindgames in this game really matter. I think theres a vid of that drill rush cancel or something...i dont really remember.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOfwE5an1Ps

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
I prefer drill rush vs characters that can easily stop the tornado...as the drill rush can catch them off guard more easily and stil has insane priority. IE DDD, since like half of his moves stop the tornado. -.-. Or projectile spammers.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
So as an attack, you want to be sure to hit them with the last hitbox, to allow space/time to recover from the lag, and to recover, if you go as straight up as possible, you can grab FD's ledge from the bottom of the screen?

I didn't think it went that far O_o

ckm

Smash Journeyman
So as an attack, you want to be sure to hit them with the last hitbox, to allow space/time to recover from the lag, and to recover, if you go as straight up as possible, you can grab FD's ledge from the bottom of the screen?

I didn't think it went that far O_o
you dont always have to hit them with the last hitbox, but it is a decent option. To do so, you usually want to angle the attack downwards. This also knocks both of you in opposite directions afterwards allowing for a safer recovery. Another option is to try to go THROUGH the opponent, ending the attack behind them. This one might be a little more dangerous as far as recovery goes (depending on how far you are behind them, mostly), but it seems to me that it might be harder to shieldgrab because you hit them with more hits. (I could be wrong here, I havent tested it... and the downward attack does get decent hits in).

and yeah, the vertical recovery on drill rush is really good. Part of what makes is so good is how MK kinda pops up and away after the attack, as he enters fallspecial. Sometimes I will barely miss the edge with it, but this allows me to float back to it. Just make sure you use the right attack, as its pretty easy to accidentally shuttle loop and die.

Protathlitis

Smash Cadet
There's a lot of good stuff already here. Recently, I found out that you can drill rush off of the edge at a downwards angle and score a kill sometimes (the fall special sends you back to safety on the edge). However, this only works against certain people with rather predictable recoveries and is a rather risky move, considering that a DI may result in someone edgehogging you. Use it unpredictably.

Top Bottom