• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When do you know You are ready?

smallwolf24

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0834-2422-8954
I've been wanting to go to a Tournament but I don't know what's stopping me. I'm currently the strongest among my friends in Brawl but it's not satisfying enough, I would be constantly be looking for fights with people offline just to get stronger. My friend would always tell me you should go to a tournament already. but I would always tell him that "I'm not ready yet".

Almost everyday I would train perfecting techniques and attempting to create new strategies. I'm always trying to perfect my mains and knowing other characters strengths and weaknesses. I would be constantly fighting MK users to get faster in the game to react faster and I succeed all the time I know I keep growing.

What I'm trying to Say is, When do you realize that you are ready to compete with other people in tournaments? Do you just one day say "This is boring now I need to fight people stronger than me" or do you require the right mindset to just be mentally ready and just go for it, Or do you train until you know all and head out. I would imagine that I would be limiting myself.

I'm just afraid that I'm still a disciple level smasher and going in there just to get mangled, but that's a normal feeling you get all the time when you are up against any Master out there, seeing Azen or Mew2king fight just fuels my blood and all I have in my head is to fight and to defeat.

What would you guys recommend?:urg:

.Marik

is a social misfit
There's only one way to find out. If you really want to get better, you'd start going.

Then, you will have your answer if your ready or not. Just remember, if you lose, then that's a sign that you need to improve, which is something all true Smash Bros players are willing to do. If you win, then your good enough. But Tournaments improve you, that's a known fact.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
If you want to get better at this game then start going to tournaments.

My first tournament was a week after I learned what advanced techs were.
It is never too early to start going to tournaments.

The Bird

Smash Apprentice
Hmm I decided i was good when i beat my brother (after 8 years of losing to him)
just fight, losing is ok if you enter a tournement its ok to lose you'll never win if you don't enter lol
as a few standards though

-beating 3 level 9's(in 3 on 1) is easy without items in 2 min
-you can beat a level 9 at least by a total score of 4
-all events cleared
-brawl with me! You seem like a fun opponent

'sigh' i sound like a noob metioning level 9's don't I

THAT IS WHY I JOINED! Smash Fourms To See If I Am Good!

turtlecake

Smash Journeyman
Hmm I decided i was good when i beat my brother (after 8 years of losing to him)
just fight, losing is ok if you enter a tournement its ok to lose you'll never win if you don't enter lol

-all events cleared

Best post ever.

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
if you want to get better go to tournaments. end of story.

i never felt this way, i was always pumped for tournaments, and i found out after my first one i was a decent leveled smasher, and i just kept improving from there and trying to make a name for myself.

honestly, find the next tournament.

go to it

give it your all.

dont be nervous! =)

good luck bro =)

Mewtwo1414

Smash Cadet
Sorry for posting this here, but is there a website or something that tells you where local tournaments are? Sorry again for posting this here.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
You should be going to tournaments to play other ppl, not necessarily win. If everyone stayed home til they thought they were good enuff, there wud b competitive smash. You shouldnt go to a tourney just to win, as there is so much learning that can be done there. You will improve so much just by going. No one cares if u dont win the first tourney u go to, in fact unless ur mega famous, theyll only remember ur wins.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
Just go. There's no reason to doubt yourself. In Brawl, as long as you play smart, you'll do fine. ;)
Even if you don't place, it still gives you the opportunity to play with other people.

Hibiki

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I think you're ready at anytime.
But I haven't been to a serious Smash tournament in ages.
And back then? I kinda sucked.
So I'd think you'd be okay. Hahaha.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Just go to a tournament. You seem to have the right mindset, but once you go to your first tourmanent, It really doesn't matter if you win or lose. Heck, I sometimes like when I lose because that means that people are better than me and I know what and how to improve. Even if you get dead last you'll still have the thrill of fighting against good smashers. I went to a tournament like 2 months after the game was out and failed pretty bad, but I was so pumped, even after losing. Then I joined the boards and decided it was time to take it to the next level. Go. Do it.

:061:

Soy Nut

Smash Rookie
Is that even possible? I've been wondering as well when I should go to a tournament, but if that's a usual requirement or recommended level of skill, then I'm way off. I can utterly own 1 level 9 sure, but always come close to defeating 2, having done so only a few times. 3 Seems like hell...
To topic creator, hey if you're in Southern California I'll go to your first with you xD

(I'm not sure if I'm breaking any rules because this post doesn't directly respond to the topic =/ so I apologize if it doesn't)

Greenstreet

Smash Champion

-all events cleared

Sigh...... :036:

Lv 9's will never be a feat of skill. Ever.

Foxy

Smash Master
Beating any number of level 9's is very easy if you play with no skill.

Honestly, just time and space smash attacks. Years ago, when I was a scrub, I could beat Very Hard All-Star without continues just with basic strats like that.

However if you try to actually apply advanced techniques and play them like real people, you'll find they have a lot more advantages in those situations, like perfect reaction time, etc.

So you can see why while level 9's are easy to good players, fighting them is worthless.

I recommend level 3's, great for practicing combos (no DI of course, but good prep for dealing with DI) and advanced techniques in your matches. Level 4's are the next best, I like them a bit less because they're a bit on the level 9's side of the spectrum where real strategies no longer work really well against them.

Of course, any level computer gets ***** by Marth's dthrow off at 0% to edgeguard.

Yeah, no matter how much you suck, just play anyone good (tournaments are great for finding players, obviously) and do two things: play consciously, and with the intent to learn. Make sure you know what you're executing at every moment, never run on autopilot like we usually do. That way you can notice your mistakes, correct yourself, think of new things, etc. Also, watch your opponent as much as you can manage, because you'll learn combos and strategies and also pick up on their playstyle and how to abuse it. Finally, while you should be playing your best, just set a goal of getting better.

Like I always say: until you're good enough to make money, a match was a success if you improved by playing it. Once you're good enough to actually place, you can worry about "winning".

EDIT:

can YOU beat 3 level 9s?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZwg37tu6B0

The Bird

Smash Apprentice
my my a lot of people are getting rowdy about the 3 level nines allow me to explain:

it is very possible to beat, if not totally humiliate 3 level nines at once
think of it this way
you get 3x more the chance to kill and when you die you have invincible armor
so all your kills are basically multiplied by 3
lol, although if you aren't able to think this way than maybe you aren't good enough

to summarize a how battle goes with 3 level nines in a 2 min battle:

1: you fight all their damages go to about 20-70 depending on your skill and character
2: normally you die then and rebirth with super armor so you can take on all 3
3: depending on your skill they either die by you smash moves or their damage increases 40-90
4: they get re-birthed or you die and kill all 3, after a rebirth by smash moves
5: the score is now Team Human -2,+3 Team CPU -3,+2 (this changes depending on skill)
6: phases 1-5 may happen twice in a battle, but rarely three times
7: the rest of the battle is meaningless and results in a stall
8: Yay! Humans win!

there doesn't sound hard now does it?

I Really SOUND like a noob taking about level 9's! I am NOT!!!

IF the sound of 3 level nines scare you (there i go again but its used for reference), Then the idea of fighting my brother will cripple you

Soy Nut

Smash Rookie
my my a lot of people are getting rowdy about the 3 level nines allow me to explain:

it is very possible to beat, if not totally humiliate 3 level nines at once
think of it this way
you get 3x more the chance to kill and when you die you have invincible armor
so all your kills are basically multiplied by 3
lol, although if you aren't able to think this way than maybe you aren't good enough

to summarize a how battle goes with 3 level nines in a 2 min battle:

1: you fight all their damages go to about 20-70 depending on your skill and character
2: normally you die then and rebirth with super armor so you can take on all 3
3: depending on your skill they either die by you smash moves or their damage increases 40-90
4: they get re-birthed or you die and kill all 3, after a rebirth by smash moves
5: the score is now Team Human -2,+3 Team CPU -3,+2 (this changes depending on skill)
6: phases 1-5 may happen twice in a battle, but rarely three times
7: the rest of the battle is meaningless and results in a stall
8: Yay! Humans win!

there doesn't sound hard now does it?

I Really SOUND like a noob taking about level 9's! I am NOT!!!

IF the sound of 3 level nines scare you (there i go again but its used for reference), Then the idea of fighting my brother will cripple you
Heh... I misunderstood it. I thought it was about BEATING 3 level 9's within 2 minutes... like 4 Human vs. 12 stock total of level 9's... yeah, can do that...

The Bird

Smash Apprentice
Heh... I misunderstood it. I thought it was about BEATING 3 level 9's within 2 minutes... like 4 Human vs. 12 stock total of level 9's... yeah, can do that...
No, no that's not that hard either... harder than the first but still not that hard.

cedrick

Smash Apprentice
tournaments are for fun and to meet new people who like to smash. the money and winning is just a bonus

also, 3 lvl 9 cpus are easy with mk. turn team attack on and mash b

Metà

Smash Master
Best way to improve = go to tournaments, play, and learn from better players

I don't understand why you feel the need to improve so much before you go to your first tournament. The first tournament will tell you where you stand, and where you need to improve. Go to as many as you can, and keep practicing, learning, and improving. The agony of defeat is overcome by the satisfaction of improvement, at least from my experience. Getting destroyed, for me, is incentive to improve; if you don't have this mindset, I'm fairly certain you won't do well at high level competition, and you'll probably be less likely to attend tournaments.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
You're born ready. There's tons of people who go to tournaments who aren't too hot (me included!) and there's always people of varying skill there. You probably won't win your first tournament, but you can still attend and have fun while improving. People are very friendly!

Neverender

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the best way to improve is to go to tournaments. Ive only been to one, but it has improved my game by alot. It really shows where you need to improve.

smallwolf24

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0834-2422-8954
Thanks guys I appreciate all your guys help this helped me understand what I have to do

-Many thanks

-Null

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
great topic, I've learned a lot from it as well. I guess the only way to really improve is to experience heated human competition. :laugh:

Top Bottom