• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did you realise you didn't like Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

L__

Smash Master
Bah, Melee isn't too fast? Try rewatching Zelghandi if you haven't. Made me rethink life and E=mc2 itself.

Energy = Mass(Speed of Light)2

...Lies. Albert Einstein was too dumb for his age!! >__<"

Bleh, even though I was never really great, I thought I was somewhat ok until I saw Zelghandi again.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Do you mean zelgadis?

Cuz that's an oldass video and alot of the **** he did is commonplace now lol.
WHAT video, theres shined blind and evolution? or just every match ever,I think zelgahndi is something different actually

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Neither one it doesn't matter. Not saying they're bad but nowadays not many people find them that impressive x

Well I never heard of Zelghandi so I just assumed it was Zelgadis. If you're right, my bad.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
You guys: "I realized that I stopped liking brawl becuase it's more balanced and somebody actually beat me by playing the game the way it's supposed to by played and I'm a tourneytard!"

Awwww, did we, scrubs, ruin your little game?

"No items, three lives, final destination!" hahalolololololololol lulz

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
You guys: "I realized that I stopped liking brawl becuase it's more balanced and somebody actually beat me by playing the game the way it's supposed to by played and I'm a tourneytard!"

Impressive amount of failure in your post. Brawl is a **** and slow game which can be picked up at any moment by a random person and the fight would be even.

KyUuKyUu

Smash Ace
Hopefully far away from anybody who wants to know

You didn't ruin our game, I don't think anybody could care less about what you think or do. Enjoy your Brawling.

I was actually playing Brawl but then I found some people at school who played Melee so I just got back into it. I don't mind playing Brawl non-competitively, but competitively it's a joke.

Bah, Melee isn't too fast? Try rewatching Zelghandi if you haven't. Made me rethink life and E=mc2 itself.

Energy = Mass(Speed of Light)2

...Lies. Albert Einstein was too dumb for his age!! >__<"

Bleh, even though I was never really great, I thought I was somewhat ok until I saw Zelghandi again.
It's all flashy, 95% pointless stuff though. Nobody does it in tourney except for Silent Wolf himself :p

edit: and not many people can do that stuff anyway

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
You didn't ruin our game, I don't think anybody could care less about what you think or do. Enjoy your Brawling.

I was actually playing Brawl but then I found some people at school who played Melee so I just got back into it. I don't mind playing Brawl non-competitively, but competitively it's a joke.

It's all flashy, 95% pointless stuff though. Nobody does it in tourney except for Silent Wolf himself :p

edit: and not many people can do that stuff anyway
More people can do it then I think you realise, next to nobody can do it at the speed and constancy he does it at though

Zodiac

Smash Master
What about GAMEPLAY? The **** is with you idiots and not giving a **** about a game's physics/mechanics, but only caring about aesthetic appeal? You realize many come here to play smash competitively and thus improve as such.

Brawl is regarded as being inferior to Melee in terms of gameplay. Care to address that?

Because you were bad it? It's understandable for one to get bored of a game that they lose at 99% of the time.

What about gameplay? Or do you just play Brawl to mash buttons with the hope that you'll win? I prefer to play with the outcome under my control, not at the whim of some idiotic mechanic.

Yeah, good joke. Samus wasn't even that overpowered in Melee; stick to your scrub games fillied with rolling and smash spamming.

Not even worth wasting my ****ing time on.

And to those out there that are wondering about my real opinion on Brawl, I have nothing against it as a game. Just gets annoying when you have those who say that it's a definitively better game than Melee is based on its aesthetic appeal. Probably one of the worst arguments you can make on a semi-competitive forum.
Truth, pure turth.

True, man, What with the tag's latley? Are the mods just trying to play some cruel trick on us? If so, its to cruel And I am not laughing, and I laugh a lot usually, to do something that doesn't make me laugh is truly a sin.

Amide

Smash Lord
My friend plays like a n00b in Brawl, and sometimes beats me. He played like a n00b in Melee, and him beating me? Wow, I made myself laugh.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
^From what I understand, his friend plays like a ****** but manages to win in brawl (by pure luck & randomness), but the sheer thought of him beating him in melee (which doesn't have these luck factors) is amusing.

*On topic*

When did I realise I didn't li- sorry, hated brawl...hmmm...probably when I started playing it. ~_~

That game is wrong in so many ways, but Im not even gonna bother writing it all. (only reason I posted is boredom, but I'm already bored of typing as well so...)

elashish

Smash Rookie
Watching Brawl 1v1's is booooring..

In any case, when I realized that I needed an encyclopedia to understand all the characters and items, I just said **** it, go melee. Haven't looked back since - my view is that Brawl is just an ADD-oriented party game.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
^From what I understand, his friend plays like a ****** but manages to win in brawl (by pure luck & randomness), but the sheer thought of him beating him in melee (which doesn't have these luck factors) is amusing.

*On topic*

When did I realise I didn't li- sorry, hated brawl...hmmm...probably when I started playing it. ~_~

That game is wrong in so many ways, but Im not even gonna bother writing it all. (only reason I posted is boredom, but I'm already bored of typing as well so...)
Glad to see Europeans see the light early on.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
at least get the joke right.

No items
Fox only
Final Destination
In Brawl, the stereotype would be Snake only. And Jesus mother****ing Christ, do not say that people use a bunch of characters in Brawl. Yes, a bunch of characters are used in Brawl. But guess what? Most people that don't use the super tier characters ****ing suck. The people that are actually making noise can be limited to like, seven characters. And besides, tournament placing in Melee can be done with several characters too. So anyone who wants to pull your ****ing ******* "Fox only" argument can suck my ****. I played this game for a good like, nine months (I've only been playing for like, 11 months-year) before I started using Fox. And guess what? Fox is mother****ing fun. I don't give a **** what you noobs think about items and a "diverse cast" being fun. Fox's gameplay is mother****ing fun, and items would just ruin the mood of competitive gameplay. When you actually learn to play this game well, items just aren't fun anymore.

Amide

Smash Lord

Yep. It's so unbelievable. If you press B as fast as possible as Meta Knight, you can sometimes beat someone with technical skill. It doesn't make any sense. I need to play Melee again so he can learn what 'true skill' is.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
I started playing competitive melee in late 2004. The first year i was able to learn basic l-cancel, land dash and wave dash, however i was trying to look more flashy than actually winning. As i kept playing my meta- game evolved, i started getting better, I even went to a tournament, and smash reunion with people from this site with no money bets. It was fun as hell. Me and my friend practiced with each other maybe 8 hurs every weekend, and we wouldnt get tired. I used Falcon and he used fox. We both had diffrent game plays, good practice cause all our main characters were diffrent, he used Fox Falco and Marth and i used Peach, CF and IC's. It was super fun and when i heard the announcement of brawl i was so happy. As i waited the news kept getting better, however the first night i got the game i was disapointed but i kept playing the game because i thought that there had to be something else, unfortenately the game didnt get better, in fact it got worst. Me and my friend called over some people. me and my friend would destroy these kids at melee with the usual 4 stock no items FD, Battlefield, pokemon stadium and all the other tournie worlds. Well, these kids beat us, yes, camped us, i practiced but as i practiced with the IC's to get the chaingrabs like i did at melee, nothing helped, camping is what brawl is about. I knew that there had to be something else, however my friend kept telling me, "dude , this game sucks, lets play melee". as soon as i played melee again, i stopped playing brawl. I havent played brawl for i think 3 months now, and im hella glad i never went back to that piece of ****. Soon after brawl, mario kart came out, i read bad reviews on it and since then lost all hope on nintendo. I was a hardcore nintendo fan, but now all hope is gone. The wii is horrible, dont deny it, its a hardcores worst nightmare. So now i happily after not coming back to this site after 2 months because of all the brawl idiots who liked the game, to tell my story. Brawl is dying so fast, the only reason people think its good is because all the **** hype we made, the game is horrible and think should really stop lying to themeselfs. Melee is truly the best fighter game ever made, and no game will ever come close. Why the hell would i wana play a game so communist like brawl? where everyone is the same? i made a picture to describe my feelings toward brawl, hope yal like it XD

1 more thing, i hate when people say, you just want it to be melee 2, well if it was melee 2 it would have been a much better game :ohwell:

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I knew Brawl was going to have to be different right off the bat from the trailer. Just like the difference between 64 and Melee. I was suspect of it when Sakurai said it would be slower than Melee. That was my worry up until it came out. When I realized that hit stun in Brawl is a joke and you can't combo, I went back to Melee.

Honestly, if you make a game slower, focus on combos. If you want a game to be aerial based, don't give players the ability to airdodge infinitely. Clearly this game was made with the noob in mind.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
I cant believe people havent tried to make so melee tournaments again, anyways anyone wana buy brawl? il put it on ebay or anyone wana trade it for ......lets see......its worth nothing so.......****it its so bad i would have to pay someone to keep it. Well im going to go play some Gunz or call my friend to play some melee.

Steck

Smash Journeyman
I think, for me at least, if I were good at melee and could play it with other good people I would enjoy it way more than brawl. I can see it now just because of the mechanics of the game. But two n00bs playing melee=boring. My cousin and I played melee. I am better than him so I won both matches but we are both really bad. First match it was a bit even till I got into it a bit and started to own him. Second match i used Captain Falcon so most of the match's enjoyment came out of kneeing him in the face and saying "Show me ya moves". But the actual match was boring. I need a better opponent who I really have to work hard to beat. Maybe that will come when melee comes back (it will). Most the enjoyment I get from a smash game is when you are fighting the opponent really hard and you are working as hard as you can. Your jaw starts to vibrate ,you get really into it. It's intense. Brawl does that for me but I think melee could do it even more.

Boxob

Smash Champion
I really tried to make Brawl fun for me, I stuck with Sonic mostly cause he's the fastest. I just officially gave up about two hours ago. I just practiced Melee again for a while, got all my tech skill back and ****. I wanna play some people now lol.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Would anyone agree with this, this is my opinion by the way. It seems like a few of the older people in the smash community are going back to melee so the melee community is slowly reviving but it is getting out numbered by the new people coming into the smash community playing brawl thus the brawl community growing and the melee community seeming as if its at a stall. Anyone agree or disagree or a bit of both or whatever....?

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Would anyone agree with this, this is my opinion by the way. It seems like a few of the older people in the smash community are going back to melee so the melee community is slowly reviving but it is getting out numbered by the new people coming into the smash community playing brawl thus the brawl community growing and the melee community seeming as if its at a stall. Anyone agree or disagree or a bit of both or whatever....?

I think you're totally right. Younger people didn't always have the possibility to attends melee tournaments, or didn't even play melee. Thus many don't realize how better melee is.

We gotta host many Melee tournaments, but also Melee/Brawl ones, and show that Melee is way better, just showing how intense and fun to watch the matches are =)

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Glad to see Europeans see the light early on.
Yup. As you guys can see, even Nihonjin (best Melee player in Europe 2005-2008) thinks this game is absolute crap. I pity the ones who even take Brawl seriously. And I'll shoot the ones who take Brawl online seriously.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Yup. As you guys can see, even Nihonjin (best Melee player in Europe 2005-2008) thinks this game is absolute crap. I pity the ones who even take Brawl seriously. And I'll shoot the ones who take Brawl online seriously.
You Dutchies better keep organizing big Melee tournaments too ;)

Wrath`

Smash Master

We gotta host many Melee tournaments, but also Melee/Brawl ones, and show that Melee is way better, just showing how intense and fun to watch the matches are =)
Well a probleme with trying to show melee is better(this is me bieng serious scine no one is flaming) is that you will get 3 types f people at the tourney, thoese who are like most people on this thread, melee men, thoes who like both(me) and thoes who just like brawl and dont care about melee.

To show it is better will be hard, beacuase the people who like both will say ok, cool,and..?
Thoese who like brawl probably wont even look at the melel side
so were does that leave you.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Well a probleme with trying to show melee is better(this is me bieng serious scine no one is flaming) is that you will get 3 types f people at the tourney, thoese who are like most people on this thread, melee men, thoes who like both(me) and thoes who just like brawl and dont care about melee.

To show it is better will be hard, beacuase the people who like both will say ok, cool,and..?
Thoese who like brawl probably wont even look at the melel side
so were does that leave you.
Having fun is the way to go, because if people see you have fun, they'll wanna try or take part too. :p
Crews are really good too, because in Melee there's a higher potential for KOs => the atmosphere can be awesome all the time => this atmosphere is easy to spread and can makes people take interest into the crew match (and the game).

Wrath`

Smash Master
Having fun is the way to go, because if people see you have fun, they'll wanna try or take part too. :p
Crews are really good too, because in Melee there's a higher potential for KOs => the atmosphere can be awesome all the time => this atmosphere is easy to spread and can makes people take interest into the crew match (and the game).
well brawl is ment to be fun, and if they go to melee and have fun, but later get aninihlated by people who know advance thec and combos, they are going to go away agian, so you going to need to have a pep talk with the pros/semi-pros there.

otg

Smash Master
well brawl is ment to be fun, and if they go to melee and have fun, but later get aninihlated by people who know advance thec and combos, they are going to go away agian, so you going to need to have a pep talk with the pros/semi-pros there.
This might just deter people from playing Smash in general, and thin down the the numbers so only Melee lives on. Watching Brawl tournaments is like pulling teeth. The last one I went to was a crew battle where everyone had to play everyone else ('red robin' or something like that?) and it took FOREVER and was BORING.

If there was a Melee/Brawl tournament, hopefully all the Brawl players would see how much more interesting Melee is and all the cool options it has to offer, and decide to give it a try. If you don't like it than w/e. The Melee community get's bigger everyday, and Brawl will inevitably just die out

Miharu

Smash Hero
Actually, every game is meant to be "fun." Why else would you create a "game" if that wasn't its primary appeal to the consumer base?

I don't see how you can apply that argument to Melee, and not apply it to Brawl. In fact, the same thing goes for both games, except in Brawl someone of lower skill actually feels like they're accomplishing something due to the fact that it's harder to make (critical) mistakes and punish said mistakes effectively. So in the mind of someone new to either game, Brawl seems more appealing due to the fact they FEEL like they're doing something instead of just getting completely destroyed as they would be in Melee.

However, just because the skill gap is less apparent in one game than the other doesn't make it "more fun," nor does it exonerate it from its many faults/downsides.

Might just be my preference, but I'd rather play and get ***** in Melee, while learning at the same time, rather than simply feel that I'm doing something in a more shallow game overall. Then again, most people play "for fun," and in turn use that as a crutch or excuse to back themselves up. Not much to be done there.

The last Brawl tournament I went to, I witnessed a finals set that consisted of Falco vs DDD. Probably the most ****ing boring match I've ever seen my whole smash career. One of them even forfeited because it was "too boring." And yet, people still insist on playing Brawl because it's "something new" and they're bored of Melee. But is there really any point in playing a competitively inferior game in the same competitive environment?

Just some thoughts/ramblings I wanted to throw out here.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Yeah, people play competitively because it is fun.

It's fun to learn new things and improve. Brawl puts a very high limit on both of these. There is also a very small skill gap and the top tiers are even more broken than in melee, so not only is there very little point to getting good, but it's so easy to get "good" that the status is pretty much pointless.

_kSo_

Smash Master
I realized I didn't like brawl after playing it a few times and seeing that the only upsides of the game were the graphics and variety of characters. the style of play you have to engage in order to win is not appealing and the only reason that anybody plays it is because they want the money from the tournaments that are usually spammed up with noobs and people who were bad at melee (sorry that was a bit redundant).

Honestly, I don't find joy in beating someone in a game that has the learning curve and strategic depth equal to that of tic tac toe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom