• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's Your Gaming History?

D

Deleted member

My gaming history (Warning: pretty long)

I am an huge video game fan and always will be, especially of Nintendo. While I may not be the eldest gamer on the forum, I do have a history to tell. Please note I will be telling of video gaming events that happen before I was born, video gaming events that happend during my life, and what I plan on doing in the near future.

Before I was born:

1985-1989: My uncle got an Nintendo Entertainment System. One of the games he played was Ninja Gaiden.

1990: My dad got an Nintendo Entertainment System. There are tons of games that he got for the system.

1992 or 1993: My uncle got an Super Nintendo Entertainment System. The first games he can recall buying was Super Tecmo Bowl, Super Mario World, and Street Fighter: Turbo

The rest of the 20th century

April 20, 1994: I was born (Yeah, unrelated to the subject, but I wanted to throw that out of the way).

1998: I was introduced to video gaming at my mom's house (I lived there at the time). My mom had a Nintendo 64. Games I remember playing were Yoshi's Story, Banjo-Kazooie, Wave Race 64, and Crusi'n Racers. My mom had an SNES at the time too, as I remember being afraid of the intro in Super Street Fighter II: The New Challenger. At my grandparents house (Not the one I live in), they used to have some Game Boy games and the SNES games my uncle collected over the years.

1999: Me and my two older brothers moved away from my mom and stepdad and into my grandparents. On Christmas of 1999, I got an Nintendo 64. The first game I can recall playing is Super Mario 64. That game was a revolution and forever hooked me into the gaming world. I got many other games for the system, including Super Smash Bros. (You're only a true fan if you've played all three games in the Super Smash Bros. series), Banjo-Kazooie, Battletanx: Global Assault, etc. I also rented a lot of games for the system, including Worms Armaggendon/I] and Paper Mario. The Nintendo 64 is my all-time favorite console. I started to get into Pokemon in this year with Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow for the Game Boy Advance. The SNES also moved backed into the grandparents house that I don't live in. Me and my brothers used to go there frequently to play that game. Around this time, my cousin also had an Nintendo 64. I used to play Goldeneye 007 and Mario Kart 64 on there a lot.

2000 and the sixth gen:

2000: Continue to loved my Nintendo 64 and built up a collection for it. I got some Game Boy Color games as well. However, my SNES collection started to decline since my uncle was selling some of the games I had, such as Street Figher Alpha 2 and Mortal Kombat 2. Still was an excellent year for gaming thought. For example, I remember crying because I didn't get the 2nd generation of Pokemon games until I got both Pokemon Gold/Sliver.

2001: Continued to add to my Nintendo 64 collection. Nothing significant until I got an Playstation 2 in December, 2001. I got Gran Turismo 3, Crash Bandicoot: The Warth of Cortex, 18 Wheelers, and ATV Off-Road Fury. This would become my favorite non-Nintendo system. Shortly after, my Nintendo 64 moved to my dad's house.

2002: Got some more Playstation 2 games and my mom and stepdad bought us an Xbox.

2003: My Playstation 2 broked and my grandparents had to get another one. I also got an Game Boy Advance. Those days of Pokemon Ruby/Shappire were the goods. I also finally got to experience the games for the Nintendo Entertainment System that my dad brought.

2004: Got some more Playstation 2 and GBA games, but nothing really special happend. Except that my mom's Nintendo 64 probably broked, explaining why she doesn't have the system anymore.

2005: My Playstation 2 broked once again, only this time, we didn't get another PS2. My grandparents were not going to put up with it. From the summertimes to Christmas Eve, we played on our Nintendo 64 that we gotten in 1999. Releiving those great memories is something I will never forget. On Christmas Day, I got an Nintendo Gamecube with Super Smash Bros. Melee, Mario Party 7 (I asked for this), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Wakers, and Super Mario Sunshine.

2006: Bought a few Gamecube games and got an Nintendo DS Lite for Christmas, along with Big Brain Academy and Need for Speed Carbon. Once, my brother talked about the Revolution. He was interested in it, but I wasn't since I thought it was just old games. Little do I know that it was something that I would defend with pride to this day with another name.

This generation:

2007: I finally get a Nintendo Wii on April 22, 2007. Earlier that year, I remember watching some ads regarding the console and being wowed be it. I wanted to get one for my birthday, but me and my grandparents agreed on Christmas instead. However, I got it just two days after my birthday. Me and my grandfather was on a three-wheel motocycle (The bottom two are spread out to allow room for two people). We went into best buy and got the last on at store. Then we raced back home. My brothers said the Wii sucked because they had difficulties imputting the settings, but we got it down eventually. Later, I would learn that you shouldn't stand too close to the TV for good motion controls. I gave away my Gamecube to my cousin and the games I had. This was a great year for me in gaming. I rented a lot of games and got a few games for Christmas that I wanted, including Super Mario Galaxy, one of my all-time favorite video games.

There was one major tragedy in video games (Not really MAJOR, but something that litterally made me cry on the inside). On November, 2007, my Nintendo 64 finally broked. I felt terrible inside. I knew I would never again be able to play my favorite system. Nothing has currently filled in the void.

Also that year, I heard of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, which became my most anticapated title before it's release.

2008: This is where I really started to become an core gamer. On March 17, 2008, I got Super Smash Bros. Brawl during Spring Break as an early birthday present. However, that game was very disappointing, which I won't be explaining here. Also during the summer of 2008, I finally get my Wii connected online and I started to use my Wii a lot more often. This was an excellent year in gaming for me.

I also started to join video game forums on August 22, 2008, starting with Video-Game-Info Forums. I am an moderater there under the same name and has achieved over a thousand post there. Granted, I'm currently inactive there, so don't expect much of me there.

I also joined Nintendo Life, Youtube, and other Internet sites. My interest in the Playstation 3 started to appear during this time.

At this time, I discovered the Virtual Console. This has become my favorite thing on the Wii and I personally think it's a great service. Just put in Earthbound and I will be satisfied.

2009: Also an great year for gaming. I didn't get much, but it was enough to sufficent. I bought an Nintendo DSi (Traded in my Nintendo DS Lite and Game Boy Advance, big mistake), although I haven't used it much. I also got a few games, notably The Conduit, Excitebots: Trick Racing, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

I got into a lot of arguements relating to Nintendo and made a lot of stupid choices that I shouldn't have done.

Oh and on early February, 2009, I got an Sega Genesis for free. Coming with it was Sonic the Hedgehog, an near-perfect 2D platform. I started to become more intereseted in retro gaming, having bought The Lion King, Jurassic Park, and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for my Genesis.

2010: Not much has really happen, other then I got Tiger Wood PGA Tour '10.

The Future:

My future in video games looks very bright. These things I would like to do in the near future:

2010: Get another Nintendo 64. I want to own this system so badly, I'm currently trying to negotiate a trade with Prometheus. First I need a job and the right to pay online. I also seroiusly need to catch up on Wii games, I am missing so much, which explains why I haven't played my Wii much recently.

Late 2010-Mid 2011: I want to be able to get a Playstation 3 also, depending if I can scrap up the cash and if the next generation of consoles hasn't been confirmed.

Wow, that was a lot to say. Thanks for reading. And this is my 50th post here that actually counts.

D20

Smash Lord
1. Super Mario Brothers 3
2. The Legend of Zelda
3. Super Mario 64
4. Ocarina of Time
5. Perfect Dark
6. Pokemon
7. Super Smash Brothers Melee
9. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
10. Resident Evil 4
11. World of Warcraft
12. Battlefield 2
13. Super Smash Brothers Melee

Yep... that was the basic progression. I'm not much of a "gamer," but these games truly became obsessions.

StinkomanFan

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2724-2849-3244
The first Game i think I played was Super Smash Bros. on the N64.
Same here. It was a match on Veridian City with Me and my little bro fighting as Jigglypuff and Pikachu. You see back then all we knew of video games was the Pokemon franchise, and even then we just knew about the anime. We had no clue who Luigi or Samus or Fox were. As I was saying it was me as Pikachu and bro as Jigglypuff. Sure he says he has no memories of that event but I'm sure he's just saying that because he hated Jigglypuff. :laugh: I can't remember who won but I know that day changed my life forever.

Zamerux

Smash Rookie
Wow you're like the antithesis of me :D

I don't have much gaming history, but I'm more of a "newish" guy.
Tool-Assisted Speedruns are my thing. ^w^

I like katzkatzkatz

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I don't think this thread is appropriate for the PRoom. I think it'd be a bit better for the Light House? Locking it for now because I'm not really sure if it is good to go in the Light House, so if you guys want to have a thread like this, ask one of the Light House mods about it.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
My first system was the Xbox, I believe...I had a few games for it, the one I played most was Spiderman (I was like 7 when I got it, I'm 16). My parents are divorced, so that was at my dad's house. My first system at my mom's was a PS2, still own it with a crapload of games. So, I played the Xbox for some time, rarely, though. I didn't play that much, then the best thing that's ever happened to my life happened. Someone broke into my dad's apartment and stole the Xbox and all the games...I got the Gamecube as a replacement, and Melee was my first game for it. I played it constantly, it started me on my Nintendo fandom. I got a GBA, then DS->Lite->DSi currently. I still play the Lite a lot, though, due to the lack of a GBA slot in the DSi. I got Metroid Prime as one of the next couple games for the GC. Playing through that game the first time was an incredible experience. I believe I was 10 playing it the first time, it had come out not too long before...anyways, I digress. I later got Echoes, Paper Mario: TTYD, and a lot of otehr GC games. Now, at my mom's, I got a 360. Hardly played it, also, until my stepdad brought home Halo 3 one day. Then we got the first 2 games plus ODST...I'm a big Halo fan now. It got the RRoD, and still has it, hopefully it'll be fixed when Reach comes out...anyways, then I got a Wii in '07, first games I got: Super Paper Mario, Corruption, Strikers Charged. Played the Wii a lot, my favorite games: The Conduit, Metroid Prime Trilogy, SMG. Then I got a bunch of VC games and experienced the likes of SMB 1-3, Metroid, Super Metroid for the first time. Awesome experiences also. Strangely, and luckily, I'm a big Nintendo fan now, excited for the new Kirby, Metroid, and Donkey Kong games, and obviously Halo: Reach! Should be an awesome year for gamers!

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
My first system was a Game Boy Pocket. I had Pokemon Red as a kid and loved it. Some Christmas after that, I got a Game Boy Color and an N64. I wish I still had it since I lost my blue Game Boy Color D: I remember my first game was like Pokemon Stadium or something. I had a Transfer Pack at one point to upload Pokemon to either Stadium. That was awesome :bee: I also had Super Mario 64 at one point and was an idiot and sold it. Gah, that was a huge mistake. A few years later, I got a Gamecube with Melee and Sunshine. I was so happy to get a Gamecube :bee: A few years later, I got a silver GBA SP from my parents. I was so freakin' excited when I got one. I got some weird Lemonie Snicket game or something (and so did my brother). I also got Sonic Advance 3 and my brother got Sonic Battle. A few years later, I got a silver DS phat from my Grandma. Before I got my DS, I got Animal Crossing: Wild World and was like "I don't have a DS. Maybe we should return this." My brother got a blue one and my parents bought Mario Kart DS for him. A few years ago, my parents got my brother and I a Wii. I got The Simpsons Game, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games and I think that's it. During my sophomore year of high school, I bought myself a black and red DS lite because my old DS phat had a touch screen scratched by a pop can tab, a bad R button (Mario Kart DS snaking anyone?), and a broken hinge.
That's pretty much it. I still have my old DS phat, my SP, and a Game Boy Pocket with a missing battery back.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I want to get one of these "Game system" things.

I'm considering getting me one of the "Wii's"

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I don't think this thread is appropriate for the PRoom. I think it'd be a bit better for the Light House? Locking it for now because I'm not really sure if it is good to go in the Light House, so if you guys want to have a thread like this, ask one of the Light House mods about it.
It's fine with me. Feel free to continue your discussion guys. :)

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Considering that I've already posted here months ago, I thought I'd say my history in a better way (mostly because now I'm unsatisfied how I posted this months ago and because I need to update it as well from current things)

Ahem

When I was about 3, my dad bought an N64 to my mom and I ended up having it due to me liking video games better. I can also remember my first video game. It was DK64. I remember being in awe from playing that game. I also had other games such as SM64, which I never beat myself, Kirby 64, another game I never beat, Pokemon Stadium, etc.

Later I got a GameBoy Color. I can't exactly remember what happened during that time period, but apparently I got a lot of games for it including Pokemon Silver.

Afterwards, my dad came home with a Rocket Power game (lol now I think the show sucks) for the GBA. Me not knowing that the GBA was even out yet, I tried to test out Rocket Power on my GBC, but found out that it was incompatible with the GBC. So later in the week my dad ended up buying me a GBA to play my game. I spent a couple of years playing with it, enjoying games like a Rugrats one.

Then the GC came and and whoa ho, was I psyched for it. I got it the first Christmas it came out and got Sonic Mega Collection with it or whatever it was called. During this period, my life was mostly centered about Sonic. I played SA2B for many hours straight and I even drew pictures of Sonic in class (XD). I also played SMS to a much lesser extent. I was underwhelmed for the GC though. Even when I was little, I found the GC mediocre, considering all the games that came out for it. Even to this day do I believe that the GC could have been executed a million times better.

After a few years, I heard that a new GameBoy was coming out, the NDS. I was ecstatic for the game. I couldn't wait. I couldn't wait for something this hard for a really long time. I even tried to sell my GBC and GBA games to Gamestop... though they only offered like 20 bucks for the millions of games I had :/. So the DS came out and it was everything I ever dreamed of... until a couple of months having it. Not only did a lot of games not appeal to me, but the Phatness of the thing bothered me (Yeah yeah, now there's Lite, but this was like a year or two before Lite came out ok?)

So I ended up getting a PSP as well... only to leave my DS in the Gamestop where I bought the PSP... oh well good riddance to that I guess... The PSP was very, very, VERY boring. And I mean extremely boring. Sure, there was a sleep mode where I could turn the game off and keep playing exactly where I was later, but come on. So I gave away the PSP a couple of years later to a kid that my parents knew in Cuba that really wanted one, but was too expensive to buy, so I sold it at a very cheap price (I can't be bothered with the **** thing)

Then came the Xbox 360. I kept seeing news reports of how realistic the gameplay was and I decided to try it out. I also got CoDMW with the Xbox the christmas it came out (yeah... little 10 year old playing a war game >:D), and that's when I started to start to stray away from all the "kiddie" games that Nintendo had to offer. I got many games for it, and was satisfied with it, until the quality started to diminish and the Red Rings of Death started to get worse. I kept it because this was the only thing I had to keep myself busy.

About 3 (?) years later, I bought myself a wii with money I earned in a job my dad made me get last year. I was extremely obsessed over getting Brawl and I bought it off a friend with a bunch of games for really cheap. After seeing all the N64 games that can be downloaded off the wii shop, I haven't regretted this purchase since.

Around a week before HG/SS came out, I begged my dad to give me 50 bucks to buy a DS Lite off a friend who was selling it to me. I was extremely hyped for it and I was desperate to play HG/SS (for those of you who remember how hyped I was, you have an idea already). So I bought it and got SS as well... I got bored of it in about 2-3 weeks XD. I haven't really gotten anymore games for the DS and I'm planning on getting B/W for it when it comes out.

Now just last week, my dad brought me home a PS3 that somebody at work gave him and I've only gotten Red Dead Redemption for it and I'm planning on getting CoD Black Ops and Portal 2 for it for sure.

That's pretty much it, if you don't count the times I've used an emulator :/

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I believe my first time playing a videogame was Super Mario Bros. on my uncle's NES. There were also occasional times I'd play other games like SMB2, Kid Icarus, Lion King, and Super Street Fighter II(This is as far back I can explicitly recall having a preference for female characters). During this time, I had never heard of the Sega Genesis or other consoles.

When I turned six in 1996, I got a Nintendo 64 for my birthday. I can still remember the Mario cake (I don't remember if I knew him at the time.) and getting Super Mario 64. I remember trying to beat the King Bomb-Omb with my family and neighbors cheering me on. Little did anyone know, including myself, that this day would forever change my life.

During the Nintendo 64's lifespan, I enjoyed many of the staple classics, and other gems such as Mischief Makers. When I would visit my grandma, I would play my uncle's Playstation, who lived there at the time, and played games like Tekken 3, Crash Bandicoot 1 and 2, and Final Fantasy VII. This made me want to have a Playstation as well. My mom had said "We'll see.", but it never happened. I ended up with a GBC in the future, enjoying Link's Awakening and Pokemon Yellow. This was also the time span that I would read Expert Gamer for game info (I don't remember how that ended happening) which led me to having a hardcore gaming experience.

Fast forward to Christmas 2001 when I got a Gamecube and Super Smash Bros. Melee. This is when I would develop a mild case of fanboyism. This is when I eventually stopped subscribing to the magazine in favor of websites like IGN. Eventually, I did pick up subscribing to Nintendo Power for a few years, but eventually stopped because I stopped reading them. This is the time span where I started to observe trends in the game industry and started to read up on E3. I also got myself a Gameboy Advance and got into the Metroid series with this.

A few years later, I got myself a DS and have enjoyed excellent games such as the Ace Attorney games. Once the Wii came, I considered becoming Wii60 so they could supplement each other for exclusives. For a while, I neither had the money nor a desire in any particular games. That was until my dad spent some poker money on a XBOX 360 and I loved Kameo. At first, this wasn't anything significant because I didn't touch it otherwise. Then came Super Smash Bros. Brawl. After I got bored with this, Street Fighter IV caught me on the rebound.

Once this game came out, I decided to buy myself one in the future before I headed off to college, and I did so with a mix of my graduation and work money. Doing this was quite a milestone as I developed more of an interest in the balance of the game and the mechanics and everything behind the scenes in a game. Not only this, but this got me into getting out of my comfort zone and trying different genres such as other fighting games and action games like Bayonetta.

So, I guess you can say that two games have changed my life: Super Mario 64 and Street Fighter IV. The former for setting me on the path I walk now. The latter for keeping me motivated to stay in programming and has also made me some nice friends that I would have never met otherwise.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I've got a pretty unique gaming history, if anyone reads it.

AGE3 : Super Nes. I played my favorite game, to this day, Breath of Fire II with my mom, among other titles.

Soon after, as I grew, we got a N64, and I played Mario, SSB, Zelda, falled into the world of Nintendo.

Then Sony came, and the rpg in me came back out. At that time I played several RPGS

I then later got PS2/GCN and kept up to date on those releases as well.

I have a Wii now, but no other current Gen. Finacially, it's not possible, but also for other reasons.

When I was in the 8th grade I started an MMO called FFXI. In this mmo I met my girlfriend, and we played together for years. Upon my Senior year this year, she moved down to live with me, and we quit. Now I'm getting a PS3 and have left MMOvile for real games.

And we play games together, (Crystal Chronicles is amazing) and etc. I'm very lucky =)

Edit: GBC/GBA/DS go somewhere in there as well.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
First game i ever played was SSB64, in 1999 when i was 3. I've been hooked ever since

Piety the Diety

Smash Apprentice
okay. when I was in like 1st grade, my parents got us an N64 (which I still play) My brother and I were addicted to Super Mario 64 for a very long time. Our dad, who was really good at Donkey Kong as a kid, helped us play. We also had Star Fox64, and SSB.

After we got a gamecube, I came home too see my brother playing as Bowser in what I thought was SSB. I asked him if he hacked the game, and apparently he bought melee. soon after I was taught strategy and whatnot by our neighbor/good friend. We had done glitches and experiments, and soon enough, we spent like half the summer at eachother's houses playing. And thats when we heard Brawl was coming out.

We all had Wiis, and were REALLY looking forward to Brawl. we followed Dojo and all that jazz. When it finally came out, we went to the midnight release. They got their copy a minute before midnight. We were so excited when we found characters dojo hadn't released info on yet. we eventually got really good. Then our friend learned how to hack brawl. we then made a smash crew of me, my bro, our friend, and his bro. We wanted to call it the Cookie Club, but our friend for some reason didn't approve, so we called it Special K.O.

So basically I became a gamer via the awesomeness of Smash, and still hate Sony.

Slots

Smash Rookie
The first game that I had ever layed eyes on was Pong for the Atari (joystick only >.>) After that I got my PSX and Spyro 1. Then Spyro 2. Then Crash Bandicoot. Then Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden Memories. The last game I ever had on my PSX was a dragon fighting game sort of like Final Fantasy, but not.

After PSX I got PS2 naturally. I have dozens of games for that but my first was Ty the Tasmanian Tiger. I went through a lot of games until I found the LEGO series which was fun to me, even at my age. Following those I made a leap of faith to Phantasy Star Galaxy which I am glad I did. Eventually tired of the PS2 I moved on.

Saved up for my Wii. Played Wii sports, then COD: WaW. Finally I came across Brawl after playing COD until 5th prestige. Brawl was fun and still is. Played Mario Kart, even Super Sluggers, and always came back to it, UNTIL ONE DAY:

My girlfriend of 5 years got me a PS3 for my birthday last year. Ever since me and her spend time together playing Uncharted or BF: BC 2. I never liked MW2 and sold it after a week of camping and spamming.

Thats my history.

(IF SLOTS COUNT AS VIDEO GAMES THEN I AM AN ADDICT)

WB40

Smash Apprentice
I started playing when I was 2. My first game was SSX 3 on the PS2. I was hot sauce at it. When I was 8, I got a PS3 with Motorstorm, Smackdown V Raw 2008 and Fifa 08. I got my Wii last December with Wii Sports. I got Brawl 2 days later along with Boom Blox.

Top Bottom