• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whats your favorite thing about Melee?

HeroicWeasel

Banned via Warnings
I like the platform based movement. The stuff with wavelanding and pivots and such always fascinates me about smash in general.

This is what makes smash unique IMO. The movement and aerial and platform movement. Not "because it's ez to learn" or w/e the hell people are saying. Yeah in SF4 you learn to do a quarter circle for moves. You know, quartercircles, that thing that almost everyone does when doing running platform shield drops, dash crouch cancels, running upsmashes, waveshines, etc.

SAUS

Smash Ace
I like the platform based movement. The stuff with wavelanding and pivots and such always fascinates me about smash in general.

This is what makes smash unique IMO. The movement and aerial and platform movement. Not "because it's ez to learn" or w/e the hell people are saying. Yeah in SF4 you learn to do a quarter circle for moves. You know, quartercircles, that thing that almost everyone does when doing running platform shield drops, dash crouch cancels, running upsmashes, waveshines, etc.
In those scenarios, you are doing a quarter circle because it is convenient to do so. In other fighting games, you do the quarter circle because it is how you do the move. You have to look at the move list in order to find out that that's how you do that move (unless you want to spam all the different directional inputs with all the different buttons). I don't mean to say that that's bad, but that's why people mention it.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
The speed, technicality, versatility, characters and overall feel of the game is what sells it for me. You can play all the characters in your own unique way, completely differently to how someone else may play them (e.g. Ken's Marth compared to Azen's or M2K's (shoutouts to Wife for that example))

orvs

Smash Cadet
my favourite thing about melee is the depth. there are so many little details and factors that make the game amazing. there are only so many characters but there are so many different ways to play each one. when i watch players do their thing, i can easily see the different playstyles and it's nuts. also, when i look at melee as a whole, i feel like there is virtually no way to stop improving at the game. because of the type of movement that you don't see in other fighting games it feels like you can literally do anything with your character to outsmart your opponent.. this makes the mental aspect of the game so sick

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
What I love about Melee is that it just never gets old. Melee's just over 12 years old now, but it's still fun to play today. You can keep coming back to it and still have a blast.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
As others have already said, the speed and professional techniques are what make Melee truly unique. It's the reason I find Melee Tournaments so much fun to watch. Melee's the perfect fighter because it's easy to pick up but difficult to master. I can't even wavedash at the moment but I still love the way the game is designed. Even when it annoys the hell out of me, I will still continue to play to improve my skills.

Year of the Melee

Smash Rookie
Can't decide between these:

That the items are fun AND balanced.
The voices are actually GOOD (Luigi's Star KO cry is awesome!).
That the Adventure, Classic, and All-Star Modes are fun while not being too long, drawn out, or pretentious.
The tight controls.

Last edited:

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Being able to do really flashy things.
Character diversity and complexity.
How much fun you can have playing non-competitive stages.
Watching Fox vs. Falco.
Playing any matchup but Fox vs Falco.

.toasty

Smash Cadet
I love movement based games, regardless of genre, and love to play with friends, no matter how hard I get beat.

Top Bottom