• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's -your- counterpick stage?

Big Bob

Smash Apprentice
We all have stages that you like. When you lose a round in a tournament, what stage do you usually pick for your counterpick? I does vary from match to match, but generally what stage do you claim as your own? Under the old Brawl rules I always picked Frigate Orpheon for my counter, but now it's changed to Norfair (and I'm not even a big Metroid fan; I just like those levels).

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I pick Smashville. =P
Its not a counterpick though. >_>

Pikminx45

Smash Cadet
I usually Pick Smash ville considering how I like that level and Olimar's tethering range is insane making it a great stage for him. I'll all so pick Luigi's Mansion considering how it's a huge advantage to Olimar, but sometimes I don't becuse I feel cheap when I do so.... Ganon on Luigi's Mansion vs Olimar..... Ganon Dies.

PKPower

Smash Cadet
I love frigate orpheon, it is an awesome stage with great music. Delfino is a great CP too, you pretty much cannot get gimped there (besides when it is swapping stages or when the platform is in the middle of the ocean).

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
theres alot that goes into your CP decision.
If the opponent doesnt have some kind of wallgay or fingay, i pick corneria
if they do, ill pick rainbow cruise
if im fighting against a tetherer, frigate orpheon
if i want an easy win, PS1 and then ill choose D3
for my next tourney, ill be CP ing pipes,
and if im feeling lucky, brinstar

x9whitey9x

Smash Journeyman
Halberd or Norfair. Norfair can save DK from way below the stage if the side fire comes out right.
OFF topic: Why is Olimar insta-**** on Luigi's Mansion?

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Pirate ship, If it is banned at certain tourney (which it shouldn't be) I will now pick Final destination or battle field.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I usually Pick Smash ville considering how I like that level and Olimar's tethering range is insane making it a great stage for him. I'll all so pick Luigi's Mansion considering how it's a huge advantage to Olimar, but sometimes I don't becuse I feel cheap when I do so.... Ganon on Luigi's Mansion vs Olimar..... Ganon Dies.
tbh, i think delfino is a better counterpick for olimar considering he is way to easy to edgehog and delfino 1/2 the time doesnt have edges to grab onto, which is a good thing for olimar

I main Marth so I often CP Battlefield unless it's in my opponent's favor as well. I like Frigate Orpheon, too
frigate for marth? and battlefield i can understand, but frigate is such a rob/ wario level.. marth, imo, doesnt do well there, maybe brinstar or even green greens but not frigate. fill me in please?

Nurotasama

Smash Journeyman
I CP with Halberd, Final Destination, or Delfino Plaza no matter what character I play. The layouts on those stages simply suit me and my play style, and as such, I am also not much of a fan of stages such as Rainbow Cruise or the like that have many 'gimmicks' that modify general player-to-player combat. Whilst Halberd may have some stage hazards, none except the claw are truly noticeable in a match. to any extent.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
It depends on what my oppenent chose.
Probaly will be Smashville or FD.
FD and Battlefield are neutral, not counterpick, anyway I wouild say either Halberd or Luigi's Mansion since I have a good time racking up stocks against my opponents there.

ElectroBlooper

Smash Cadet
Obviously it depends on the character. I've given it the most thought as Bowser (though I don't really main anyone) and with Bowser I almost always go for Smashville, and probably would even if I didn't usually stick to relatively neutral stages. Smashville is great for Bowser - its small size and moving platform make it much easier for him to overcome campers than on a stage like, say, FD. It also makes recovery less of an advantage and powerful blows more of one (since you don't have to go very far to recover or get KO'd) - thereby downplaying one of Bowser's weaknesses and emphasizing one of his strengths. The relative lack of platforms makes it much easier for Bowser to keep the game pretty grounded, which is where Bowser really excels (the one platform is enough to help with camping but not to make it a very "aerial" stage).

To summarize, a small, straightforward stage that lends itself well to grounded game play but not to camping is exactly what Bowser wants, and that is exactly what Smashville is. They should probably rename it Bowserville.

Oh, as a sidenote, Bowserciding from the moving platform while it's not over the stage is easier than Bowserciding from the actual stage, so that's another advantage.

Johnny_C

Smash Cadet
Usually for snake, i like to pick New pork city, because almost no one can tell when or where you planted a mine or C4. Or Places with black background where is too dificult to see the C4, like Lylat Cruise.
Also the best stage for G&W with sky-color is summit, since it blends really well with the place.
Cammo FTW.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Rainbow Cruise if I have Kirby or King Dedede(Those I only use KDDD on this if I'm up against Snake or other). If not this I'll have Halberd, I've actually been able to effectively use the stage for kills : P

JST

Smash Apprentice
It really depends on which character I'm using and the opponent is using. Otherwise, stages that I'll CP just because I feel very comfortable playing on them are FD, Pokemon Stadium 1, Pirate Ship, and Rainbow Cruise (This is my fav).

chaos_

Smash Journeyman
when i use marth and if i loose i always pick battle field

FifthRise

Smash Cadet
j-j-jungle jaaapessss!
the objective: stay alive until your opponent falls into the jaws of a klap-trap.

Top Bottom