• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's you controler setup?

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I'm always open to new ideas and have been fooling around with new control setups for a while.

Right now I am using R-as grab because I find it easier to DAC.

Do you guys have any good controller setups you use that helps your game? maybe even helps execute AT's?

(On a side note I am really not going to B-Stick because I need my DAC to win and I think most people would prefer to have DAC over recoil specials to finish off combos and kill.)

D

Deleted member

i use the default setup and always will but i have fooled around with some interesting controller set ups for link

the only effective change i've seen is setting R for attack so fsmashing while holding a bomb is eaiser

Grifflame

Smash Cadet
I removed the tap up to jump. It took some getting used to at first, but now it's easier to uair without inadvertently jumping.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Classic Controller:

L = Shield__________________R = Attack (perfect for DAC and Bombsmashing)
___________X = Grab__A = Attack
________Y = Special__B = Jump

Tab Jump = Off
R-Stick = Smash

GC Pad:

L = Shield__________________R or Z = Attack (perfect for DAC and Bombsmashing)
___________Y = Grab__X = Attack
________B = Special__A = Jump

Tab Jump = Off
C-Stick = Smash

In my opinion, many people underestimate the classic controller, the Shoulder Buttons makes your shielding quicker than the GC Pad can do.

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
I, too, have R set to Attack, but this is for DAC, not Bombsmashing. I'd like to try it out for Bombsmashing, though... *goes to training mode*

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
I did the same thing ArkiveZero did. I set R to attack. I find that it works great for both DAC and Fsmash-with-Bomb. Very comfortable.

But, if you use R to shield, you may want to try L instead. L is my sheild, that's why I chose R; it was just sitting there, being absolutely useless.

Turbowombat

Smash Rookie
I set mine up to make it so that no finger/thumb is used for two things at once. For example if I take jump off of my right thumb I can execuse 2 special attacks in one tap jump than I could if my thumb had to go from the jump button (x) to the attack button(s) (a or b). For this reason I smash with R as my jump button and grab as Y since there is no time at which you grab and A attack at the exact same time but you may want to tether while jumping quite frequently (ergo taking it off of Z). I also B stick so I don't have to use both thumbs when I want to use the boomerang or spin attack. That way I can angle the jumps I coincide with them correctly. Also the recoil is fun occassionally.

link_goron

Smash Cadet
attack=A & Z
shield=L
special=B
jump=Y
grab=X & R
Tap jump off( too annoying)

This is pretty useful for link's advanced tech's
R(Grab) for DAC
You can take out your bombs and while doing so, you can hold A or Z to do link's f-smash w/bomb

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
GC controller
Tap jump off
Z = attack (useful for DAC, if you mess up your timing you'll do a dash attack instead of a laggy grab)
Y = grab (because I jump with X, if you jump with Y then set X to grab)

Works great for me.

Deva

Smash Lord
I have the standard setup, but one thing my friend discovered that might make me turn tap jump off is if you up-b before using your second jump, you no longer have a second jump. If you turn off tap jump, you still have a second jump. It could help Link's poor recovery quite a bit, but idk, cuz I always second jump with the control stick so it'd take some time to get used to.

BooM!!

Smash Cadet
i tried taking out tap jump once
but it doesn't really allow you to upsmash/up+b out of shield
well, you can but you have to press jump first and that could take some time getting used to

i pretty much have the default gamecube controller set up, but with L to jump
I would use it so much more but you have to press L all the way down now =/

NiRV7iQ

Smash Apprentice
i tried taking out tap jump once
but it doesn't really allow you to upsmash/up+b out of shield
well, you can but you have to press jump first and that could take some time getting used to

i pretty much have the default gamecube controller set up, but with L to jump
I would use it so much more but you have to press L all the way down now =/

I turn tap jump off so as to do Utilts without accidentally jumping. It's not that I can't do utilts without tap jump off... i did it for years in melee... but it allows for less mistakes.

Utilt is godly.

D

Deleted member

Utilt is godly.
QFT

i forgot to mention my classic controller set up, i use is because we only have 2 good gc controllers and i give them to my friends when we play :\

L - shield
L2 - grab
R2 - grab
R - attack
B - jump
A - attack
Y - specials
X - grab
Cstick - default

if you could change the dpad to move on the classic controller i would probably use that @_@
(ps2-like analog ftl)

link_goron

Smash Cadet
Default. Tap jump off. Gamecube controller.

Simplicity ftw.
Thats what i was first using but then i noticed a couple of lazy buttons that weren't being used. Basically my controls are standard but with use of other button inputs and tap jump off. Easy as that

Swordplay

Smash Lord
As I said before R is set to grab for me for DAC

I am also using it so i can easily perform bomb drops. I can drop a bomb or drop it and pick it up and do any air areal (see Izaw's video)

How do you do DAC as R set to attack is it different or about the same? I could see myself moving x to grab since i jump with y if it makes that much of a difference or move z to attack for bomb f-smashes but I am still trying to grasp some of the way to do these AT's with various controler setups.

I want to keep airdodge zair (right now I airdoge with L and zair with R) in my game as I use it alot

I want to be able to DAC alot.

I like to do areals while holding a bomb by quickly droping it. ...I LOVE DOING THIS WITH Nair FOR EDGEGAURDING)

I like to F-smash while holding a bomb but it is the AT I use the lease

TheWii

Smash Journeyman
I can do Snakes DAC (snakedashing) somehow with Wiimote and nunchuck but not DAC with Link, why? If I learn it could be really useful.

Jink

Smash Apprentice
I use the Wiimotechuck like this:

Z = Shield______B = Special
C = Grab_______Dpad = Jump (all directions)____ A+B = Grab
______________A = Attack
TapJump Off____Shake On = Smash

I used it since I got new Wii post first one was stole from me and I had no other controller, didn't like it at first but in time i got used to it and found out that at least for me it was more comfortable than Wii's CC and GC, and its kind of more practical.

Why?:
1) By turning Shake On for Smash, doing DAC is as easy as Shaking down and up post a dash, and I can do it for Link to go far by an immediate shake and farther by shaking after a tapped dash (delayed).
2) Jump and attack to different direction without losing air momentum with just a Shake.
3) I can perform the backward movement from air SideSpecials (Gale) like in C-Stick (R-Stick) when set to Special but instead with just a Shake.
4) Another thing is that I can do "instant-turning" DSmash by holding the Nunchuck Stick (N-Stick) to the opposite facing direction durning any 'post lag recovery' and then timed with just a Shake down.
5) I can do 'Bomb in hand' FSmash with just a Shake while holding Attack.
6) I don't think I'll ever play Brawl again with the other controllers, but that's me.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
are you saying you can don both DAC and recoil specials with that controller setup????

If that is true I might try it one day....

TrevynThOt

Smash Apprentice
nice set up jink, my wii mote controlls are

D pad up jump(of course) but D pad <> is Attack D pad V is special A is grab B is block Z attack C jump. shake smash on of course, tap jump off(thank you god for this new thing)

I like all my attack buttons close so i set everythin to D pad really.

but I mainly use the Gamecube controller and my set up is mostly normal cept these 3

tap jump off(duh lol) L button=Attack and X is Sheild

I hated tap jump in melee so you can guess why i took it off.

L for attack cause i can DAC easier with that then Z plus if i miss with Z and he ends up grabbing thats a free snake f smash, ****s ******** so L being attack at least if i miss it i attack instead you know. and X for sheild i find button taping to tech is alot easier and when metaknight has me in his tornado i just mash X to air dodge out alot easier then triggers

Jink

Smash Apprentice
are you saying you can don both DAC and recoil specials with that controller setup????
Yes you can, the Wiimotechuck turned out to be good, but keep in mind that when you play you have remain still because the Wiimote might detect your moment and you'll involuntary make mistakes like smash to opposite directions and even fast fall, so handle it gently and all should be ok.

D pad up jump(of course) but D pad <> is Attack D pad V is special A is grab B is block Z attack C jump. shake smash on of course, tap jump off(thank you god for this new thing)
Wow, I tried like that first but I couldn't do it, for me the Wiimote dpad is to small.

TrevynThOt

Smash Apprentice
it really is I don't mind it but the wii mote just doesn't allow full potential to many slip upsfor me , shake smash is so random sometimes and the Grab button is to far away from A lol. I wish that you could change the < annnd > cause then I'd make my < Attack and my > grab it make **** so much easier. C stick just seems so much more important in this game than melee( I rarely used C stick in melee) but this game is seems more necessary so i use it alot and the shake smash is just to random for a actual C stick lol

TheWii

Smash Journeyman
Can someone tell me how to DAC with Wiimote and nunchuck without Shake Smash? I have done it with Snake alot of times but i dont know how I do it and in the latest day I have not been able to pull DAC even with Snake. It could be really helpful so I can finally beat that Snake-player I play with online (Its more even when I play with Olimar, then i can win) and also Level 9 players more easily.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Can someone tell me how to DAC with Wiimote and nunchuck without Shake Smash? I have done it with Snake alot of times but i dont know how I do it and in the latest day I have not been able to pull DAC even with Snake. It could be really helpful so I can finally beat that Snake-player I play with online (Its more even when I play with Olimar, then i can win) and also Level 9 players more easily.
In normal speed with Wiimote & Nunchuck its basicaly impossible without shake-smash,
go to Training mode with 1/4 speed and dash -> analogstick down (only for QDA) -> press attack -> analogstick up -> press attack.
I'm sorry but if you want to DAC with Wiimote & Nunchuck in battle, you have to enable shake.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Yup....need shake smash...

Right now my latest controler mod is
z=shield
R=Attack
x=grab
y=jump

I also exparimented with z being special so I can Full hop Double arrow cancel and Full hop boomerang to arrow cancel but it so hard to do and hurts my finger. I wish I could find a better way.

D

Deleted member

lol i was playing with the nunchuk yesterday because we only had 3 gc controllers and that crap is ridiculously hard @_@

i think im going to stick with the classic controller as my second controller, it just sux that you cant switch the Dpad to movement instead of that shafty *** control stick >_>

TheWii

Smash Journeyman
But why do I need Shake Smash? I dont know how but I have been able to pull of DAC/Snakedashing with Snake so shouldnt it work with Link also?

It could be really useful so I can finally beat/crush all of the Level 9 because they dodge/sidestep every projectile and attack and with Olimar I crush them EASILY! and this is not because im a bad Link player, I know how to play Link and I can win against good Snakes but the problem is that if you cant beat a Level 9 all hope is gone...

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
But why do I need Shake Smash? I dont know how but I have been able to pull of DAC/Snakedashing with Snake so shouldnt it work with Link also?

It could be really useful so I can finally beat/crush all of the Level 9 because they dodge/sidestep every projectile and attack and with Olimar I crush them EASILY! and this is not because im a bad Link player, I know how to play Link and I can win against good Snakes but the problem is that if you cant beat a Level 9 all hope is gone...
No, because with Snake you have much more timespace between the 2 attack inputs. It's near impossible with Link in normal speed.

BTW, Link's DAC is not that useful as you think it is, because it's easily shield-grabed if you don't slide throught your opponent (even between the 3 hits), and if you slide
through, your defense is completely gone. In my opinion, it's a situational move (like after a zair combo setup, or when your enemy flies in the air), not a spamable one.
Use more zair or projectile combinations (combinate them so that u pwn sidestep spammers), or even sh sex kicks.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
KJ what are u using to get those FULL hop Double arrows off I saw in your match. I tried using z as special but it still is hard on my finger.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
I played 2 months with the Gamecube controller, because i was simply used to it since melee.
But then i switched to CC simply because the action buttons are feeling better, the shoulder buttons are quicker and the analogstick is in my opinion the best you can get from todays consoles if u lay your left hand a little bit downwards the controller so that your thumb lays vertically at the stick.

GCC
CC

Validbadbadman

Smash Cadet
I use the GC controller with default setup mainly because if I change anything on the controller its really hard to get used to it because I played melee so much.

Jink

Smash Apprentice
:laugh: Hahaha, I've change the way ppl play, nah j/k. ;)
:) I'll try to find a way to easily perform DAC without the shake.
And I can shoot 3 arrows in a whole jump, yup.

Jink

Smash Apprentice
Another arrow trick I have is "The Backrrow" :confused: :confused: :confused:

If you quickly (like in one-slide-press) do:
JUMP + B, tap stick to Link's opposite direction...
He'll hop backwards (to the direction he was facing) from the ground with arrow ready.
The special thing here is that the hop is quite quick a long and it looks ******** :laugh:, you can see how the straight hop is canceled by side movement, as if Link had air dash.
I use it, but not often, mostly when I'm running away for my life ;)

:dizzy:

Jink

Smash Apprentice
;)I did it!, DAC with Wiimotechuk without the Shaking, its simple and easy:

Side tap then very quickly A~Up+A, the double press timing is like Kilik's a~A slide input command from SoulCalibur.

And if you late input after the dash Link slides farther.

Top Bottom