• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the Point of White Pikmin?

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
What's so great about white pikmin? I see many people freaking out about how cool the white pikmin are. Their only pro is longer range; otherwise, they're just weak and knockbackless.

What's the point of white pikmin? What's the good part about them that separates them from the rest?

asob4

Smash Champion
they do 6 each hit if not diminished when latched, they have the longest reach, and the lack of knockback can be a good thing for comboing at higher percents

Rhyme

Smash Lord
What he said.

Whites are great for those in-between percentages. When your opponent isn't high enough to kill with a purple throw or even a blue, throwing with a white will let you combo out of the throw, which can sometimes score you the kill or at the very least a bit more damage. Whites travel fast so they're great for throwing into the way of oncoming projectiles to protect Olimar. They're just nifty...they're the odd pikmin out and that's cool.

I think they should be able to dig up Snake's Dsmash mines. It's a shame they cannot since they were known for digging in Pikmin 2. =/

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
*Echos Rhyme*
(wow, olimar main pun, sorry)
Every pikmin has its own advantages and uses in many different situations. I'm thinking a big thing i'd love to do in a week or so is really break down all the advantages of each color in most generalized specific situations, such as against a camper, or opponent at low percents, middle, high... just a big break down. I suggest you try and figure these out on your own though, correctly using the right colors with the right moves is, at least right now, the big trick/step for olimar many of us are working on. Rhyme's theoretical situation demonstrates what i'm talking about perfectly, so try and get a good feel for things on your own, and hopefully as an entire community we can best figure things out.

-True

Yakt-NJ

Smash Cadet
I find that whites are best thrown when your opponent is off guard or recovering from a roll or getting back on the stage. It can fluster them and make them forget about you for a second as they try hard to get it off. This is when you punish them.

_Lex_

Smash Cadet
I don't think i heard it mentioned.

White Pikim are beasts when shield-grabbing. They are vital in Olimar's game since he needs to space himself, and white Pikmin allow that. White Pikim give Oli even more range than he already has...which is a little crazy if you ask me.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
I actually believe the common conception, not yet confirmed, is that they don't actually offer any more range in any move but Latch. For instance it is believed Blue has the furthest reach. The thing overlooked is the point that they have to take it off, cause its doing its 6 damage a strike, that means they've got to do one of a number of attacks, which can mess up timing, hopefully leading you to carry an advantage. Either you punish them for an attack that isn't intended at you but the pikmin, thus you can time an attack of your own. Or they are still focused on you, and are taking 6% a hit. Guess I'm missing what isn't helpful about this.

-True

_Ubemaya_

Smash Cadet
I find them really annoying because they mess up like every other move... when I get a white pikmin, I'm pretty much forced to do throw them, because anything else is useless. It's also annoying when I'm about to kill them with a smash and I get a puny little white pikmin.

Likewise, purple annoy me because when I want to hit the opponent, the range is wayy too short and I miss entirely.

keeper

Smash Champion
Just try throwing a white pikmin, then grab the person and and go into a combo so the white pikmin can do something.

Sensai

Smash Master
Oh look! A dead horse!

White Pikmin are really great for throwing and grabbing...they're absolute **** in strength, though.

_Ubemaya_

Smash Cadet
Well, why does everyone say they're good for grabbing? They don't even have much longer range than the others, if at all.

Yakt-NJ

Smash Cadet
They seem to have a hair more range on grabs than blue. However, they may not. Even if they did, blue throws are still far superior in terms of knockback. The blue forward and backthrows are legitimate kill moves, and I love them for it.

Rorus Raz

Smash Rookie
Whites are good for grabbing because they do the most damage a hit when holding the target, and the lack of knockback means you can set up combos right after the throw. As said before, good when you can't get a kill yet.

DeathNote

Smash Apprentice
Toss white Pikmin, grab before your opponent knocks it off... Pikmin racks up damage.

Also white Pikmin have weak throws that do little knockback, which is perfect for setting up combos. I have had good times using white pikmin, U- or D-throw, Up smash.

_Ubemaya_

Smash Cadet
You guys make it sound so easy...

My biggest problem with that is, if I was within grab range, why would I be tossing pikmin? If I was out of grab range, the opposite would have killed off the white pikmin long before I got to him. And that's assuming the opponent didn't kill it while you were throwing it, which is more than likely.

The D-throw thing sounds like it actually may have some use, though. But then again... I think they'd have to be at a decent percent to get thrown high enough for a U-smash, at which point you should be going for the KO. But then again, you still have U-air. So it's all good :) .

DeathNote

Smash Apprentice
You would toss Pikmin in grab ragne because your opponent can not get the Pikmin off during a grab...

Pikmin toss doesn't always need to be used from afar... I suggest you get over that soon.

Also: Even at 0% the White Pikmin D-throw knocks your opponent up... just charge the U-smash and it will hit them. I mean an U-smash can even hit a grounded enemy which is clearly at a lower point than a tossed enemy.

shatoga

Smash Cadet
They're poisonous so they do alot of damage in a short time, so they're reallly helpful.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Personally, I don't really like White Pikmin, either. It absolutely messes up my fighting style when I have about two White Pikmin in my army. I am forced to think twice about using Forward-Airs when there are White Pikmin around.

keeper

Smash Champion
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=NOE8inAreK4

i know that your never going to get 6 white pikmin in a match but this shows a good use for them
Hey, people are watching that video. That pleases me inside to know that I made something and people use it. ^_^

Anyway, yeah, that really is their only use. That and the (already old but classic) combo of throwing a white onto them and grabbing them so the white can beat on them while they can't move.

Urb

Smash Journeyman
Many good points covered...but I use whites for sniping off Smah Balls at far range! They can damage it just enough to break it open, and your range is almost across FD!

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Many good points covered...but I use whites for sniping off Smah Balls at far range! They can damage it just enough to break it open, and your range is almost across FD!
Whoa, they damage smash balls? I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.

Masterem243

Smash Lord
White Pikmin secrete Poison as a defense mechanism, and since they are the smallest subspecies of Pikmin; they can fly the farthest when they are thrown.

Top Bottom