• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U What's the best way to unlock custom specials

Sandwiches

Smash Cadet
I just did a 25 round game of smash tour that I won in the end and only got two custom specials... man this is such a grind.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Use this the strategy found in WII U Solo Mode forum (the thread is Amazing Crazy Order Strategy, sorry I can't post links)

A quick recap:
Try to do Crazy Order with equipment up.
I've used Autorecovery Badge, Home-Run Bat badge and the Invincibility on first attack badge. Equip Mario with Fast Fireball attack and, as soon as the match begin spam it to gain the invincibility, the use the smash with the bat for a fast and easy KO.

Rinse and repeat for about 20 turns and then go on Crazy Hand. I've unlocked something like 20 new moves in 7 minutes or less.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Use this the strategy found in WII U Solo Mode forum (the thread is Amazing Crazy Order Strategy, sorry I can't post links)

A quick recap:
Try to do Crazy Order with equipment up.
I've used Autorecovery Badge, Home-Run Bat badge and the Invincibility on first attack badge. Equip Mario with Fast Fireball attack and, as soon as the match begin spam it to gain the invincibility, the use the smash with the bat for a fast and easy KO.

Rinse and repeat for about 20 turns and then go on Crazy Hand. I've unlocked something like 20 new moves in 7 minutes or less.
I second this. Did about 24 rounds with a homerun bat + fast bat swing customs on Mr G&W, worked pretty well

Vash_VisionZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vash_VisionZ
3DS FC
4596-9838-7829
Crazy Orders and sometimes trophy rush. I usually get at least a handful from them consistently.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You'll have to vary your choices, whether it's doing Classic, Master Orders, Crazy Orders, Trophy Rush, or Smash Tour; even Target Blast gets a mention. Just keep note that for Classic, you can't control the roulette like you could with Smash 3DS's Classic.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
boost brawl MII with auto heal and KO HEAL with STR and you can kill with is kick up b. more faster than a bat.

Last edited:

Maniacmatt

Smash Rookie
I've been playing All-Star on Hard to do it too. You get a trophy and a custom part after every level you beat and you don't lose anything if you lose. I have just been rotating between that, Trophy Rush and making money in Classic and I've been unlocking them at a solid rate.

Cha Cha San

Smash Cadet
All-star is the best mode for unlocking custom moves for a specific character since it has a high bias towards the character you're using in that mode. Expect a lot more duplicate custom moves in that mode as well.

EchoActual

Smash Rookie
Classic on 9 works the best. Go after the customs and then time the spin to get x2-5 customs and you'll be laughing!

Sandwiches

Smash Cadet
Classic on 9 works the best. Go after the customs and then time the spin to get x2-5 customs and you'll be laughing!
Unfortunately I seem to be really bad at beating the core on anything higher than 8.0, and on 8.0 I'm getting mostly equipment (three attempts at Classic got me a mere 4 custom moves, two rounds of trophy rush would have been better). Maybe I'm just having awful luck, but this whole thing is grindy and frustrating. They should have been unlocked by default. Oh well.

EchoActual

Smash Rookie
Unfortunately I seem to be really bad at beating the core on anything higher than 8.0, and on 8.0 I'm getting mostly equipment (three attempts at Classic got me a mere 4 custom moves, two rounds of trophy rush would have been better). Maybe I'm just having awful luck, but this whole thing is grindy and frustrating. They should have been unlocked by default. Oh well.
I know how you feel, despite how well I play I sometimes get screwed over in the core... Maybe if the yellow stuff wasnt so op lol

Cha Cha San

Smash Cadet
The definitive fastest way (besides 8 amiibo farming) is trophy rush with Palutena using her Heavenly Light custom neutral B and probably some damage/speed equips.

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
Aside from custom specials, what about strong equipment? If I recall, higher difficulty stuff nets you stronger gear. Is Classic 9.0, Crazy Orders, or something else best for this?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Special Orders (specifically Crazy Orders) seems to be the fastest method to collect custom specials. I don't know about Smash Tour, though.

Last edited:

ShasOkais

Smash Rookie
both in general and for specific characters?
In my experience, for 3DS, Smash Run has always been helpful, PERIOD. However, since you're just after the specials, Trophy Rush is a viable option. In 3DS it definitely makes it easy to get specials for the character you are using. However for Wii-U, trophy Rush, while still viable, may not be the best. In general, just to get any character's specials, Classic is a great alternative for those good at a spinner, and if you're not into that, Smash Tour is a nice second. If you're after a specific character's special in Wii-U, sorry you're kinda out of luck, but Classic is your best bet.
As notes:
For Wii-U classic, it is faster to have a 2nd player help you fight lvl 8.0+ difficulties rather than fighting Master Fortress, as it saves a great deal of time. And on Smash Run for 3DS, the more people, the more parts, coins, trophies and powers you'll receive. Both of these will increase your rate of getting parts, and thus specials.

Sorry if you were only interested in one version, but your original post did not specify which version you were asking about, and I did not look through any other posts.

Cha Cha San

Smash Cadet
Here's a tip about trophy rush: The most gold efficient way of playing it (not sure if it's faster or not) is to play 30 seconds repeatedly instead of 2:30. The first fever GUARANTEES a wrench while all the rest are purely luck whether you get a wrench or not.

Top Bottom