• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whats the best way to train?

Grodion

Smash Cadet
So i have been playing melee on a more competitive scale, and i have gotten significantly better, although far from being considered "good". What exactly is the best way to train? training again lvl 9 cpus is probably one of the worst ways, and going into training mode to practice pivoting, sfhlling, wdashing, etc. only gets you so far. So how exactly do you guys train?

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I have a group of people I play with. On my own, I work on keeping my shuffling, and any tricksies up to snuff. Doc specific, I work on pill placement, platform canceling, and up b cancel. When I play other people, I look for mistakes/sloppy execution, and work on fixing those.

Grodion

Smash Cadet
hmm, well thanks for the advice. none of my friends are too great at melee however, so usually i end up training them :p . Ill see if I can upload some videos of me playing, that seems like the only actual way. Are there still melee tournaments out there?

Cleod

Smash Cadet
I play against low cpu and practice combos, that's only cuz there's only a few people in my town that play melee

Grodion

Smash Cadet
hmm, thanks for the advice. which character is best to train against as doc? i mean, obviously there is no "best character" to train against, but if i do go to tournaments, what am i likely going to face?

Rostigalen

Smash Journeyman
Fox, Falco, Marth, Shiek, Captain Falcon are all common, but it all depends on your region. Start with Fox IMO.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I don't train as often as I used to, back in 07. Is this bad? I mean, sure I play tonsssss of matches against real players, so does that really matter?

What am I in danger of REALLY not being to grasp anymore?

Gea

Smash Master
Even if your friends suck they can still help you practice certain things like chaingrabs, usmash OOS, edgeteching, throws into dunks, etc. Just coach them beforehand on how to DI properly and work on one concept at a time.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
im going to go ahead and assume that your friends roll a lot. one thing you can do is you can practice reading/baiting their rolls and appropriately punishing them as well. if you want to get good though, you'll need to go to tournaments/smashfests

Gea

Smash Master
Nah, that won't help him that much, as most (like all) novices will tech the same way they are DIing consistently. They need to get better if they are that bad before they can help him in the thinking aspect of things.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
im talking more about rolls, but regardless, playing against good people is what will really get him good. i noticed your location says Houston, is that out of date or are you not active anymore because im the only doc main that ive met in houston (besides oscar, who doesnt main him anymore but is still pretty good with him)

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
michael or alex, i dont care there are too many alex and michaels, you ****ing suck dude arent you the worst player in houston ur worse than yannis get out cake eater

Grodion if you get hit / killed twice in the same way try to figure out why you are getting hit and then learn to avoid it, and never allow it to happen again.

learn how to put your opponents out of their comfort zones, if you see them going for the same the over and over then try not to put yourself in a position to get hit by it.

sweetspot ur recovery

if you know certain ways to kill /gimp your friends if you play with any just inform them on what they are doing wrong so they learn then you can all get better.

these are some ways to prctice against bad opponents such as frisbie

Gea

Smash Master
I rarely come to stuff anymore, very old to the Houston scene smasher. I still live in Houston. Still play Doc when I do, though.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
SHBairWD is impossible right? Cus I cant do it.
Try using Z. Easiest way to do it, yet still challenging.

You CAN do it with C-stick. But it's **** hard. lol

Gea

Smash Master
Or control stick it. Not too bad. Then again, I controlstick nearly all of my aerials so...

Edit: As in with A. Y to sh, A to bair, R to waveland. Hardest part to me is timing the actual airdodge since Doc's legs are towards his sides when he bairs.

poega

Smash Apprentice
IDK i find it tough get that bair off in time. Im sure ill get it eventually but I needed to make sure cus I feel like I've never even got close! Thx for advice.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah man I know how you feel. You just have to keep trying. You really have to time it right.

Keep in mind tho that if you shbawd with the Z button, you might accidently Jump cancel loool. Which is kinda cool.

Gea

Smash Master
Well pretty much anything like that is just practice. If you cannot get it *at all* and need to see what it looks like, use training mode to slow everything down. Just keep practicing in maybe half hour chunks and soon you'll do it on command.

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
i would say , definitely practice sh rising bair until you know you can do it every time (like 10 times in a row)
then practice wavelanding off a SH (until you can do it 10 times in a row)

then try the SHbairWD again

baby steps usually work

Grodion

Smash Cadet
pulling off SHbairWD isn't too hard, and i don't really see when you'd use it, i mean, pulling off a double bair and then pulling off a third one while going down is pretty useful in any situation, mainly edge guarding.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I think it would be very useful with approaching, because bair is Doc's best move.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
I rarely come to stuff anymore, very old to the Houston scene smasher. I still live in Houston. Still play Doc when I do, though.
were you at the Insane Triumph that happened in october of 2010? the one where Darkrain was there but Wobbles couldnt make it? i remember seeing someone playing doc in tournament that i dont think ive seen since.

Also, Kailo, i know i was pretty bad the first and only time i played you probably about 6 months or so ago, but ive gotten a lot better since then. in fact, i would like to money match your fox at the next event we're both at

Grodion

Smash Cadet
do most pros use c-stick to do ariels or just regular control stick tilting? cuz i use control stick to do my ariels. which is better?

Gea

Smash Master
I think it would be very useful with approaching, because bair is Doc's best move.
Unsure about that. It could very well be ftilt. Bair is really really good though.

were you at the Insane Triumph that happened in october of 2010? the one where Darkrain was there but Wobbles couldnt make it? i remember seeing someone playing doc in tournament that i dont think ive seen since.
No.

do most pros use c-stick to do ariels or just regular control stick tilting? cuz i use control stick to do my ariels. which is better?
Most players use the C-stick because it is easier to DI one direction while doing your aerials in another one, and it is definitely easier to do falling uairs with the C-stick. It comes down to preference, but it is pretty much suggested to at least learn the C-stick.

Grodion

Smash Cadet
okay, ill start using that then. thats also probably better to prevent fast falling when trying to SHbairWD. how exactly would u do a sex kick though?

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
pretty much all of the good players i have met (wobbles, darkrain, and most of the people i play against) use c stick. the reason this is is because it's easier to space moves with c stick, like you can do a foward air with doc and be retreating backwards the whole time with the control stick. this can be useful for stopping approaches and doing reverse aerials. if i didnt explain myself well enough, i can look for examples to show you

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
whoops didnt see Gea's reply. you can use either a or z without moving the control stick for the sex kick and for all other character's neutral airs. however, you can approach or retreat with it after the move comes out. watch a video of basically any fox player and you will see them approach with their neutral air.

Grodion

Smash Cadet
if i use c stick to do my ariels, then which finger do i use to jump and press a? it seems impossible to do all of those with just my thumb

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
if i use c stick to do my ariels, then which finger do i use to jump and press a? it seems impossible to do all of those with just my thumb
You can jump with y and move over to C-stick(c-stick will do the attack for you, no need to press A since C-stick is programmed to direction+A which in air is an aerial) or jump with and use the section under your palm to smash it in me direction but I'd go with the former.

Grodion

Smash Cadet
yeah, but what about regular a on the ground? isnt it difficult to switch modes quickly?

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
Also, Kailo, i know i was pretty bad the first and only time i played you probably about 6 months or so ago, but ive gotten a lot better since then. in fact, i would like to money match your fox at the next event we're both at
if you really want to we can at tys gl

Top Bottom