• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the best way to teach someone how to play Brawl?

Osi

Smash Ace
Put it on training with a second character set to control.

Explain the objective of the game ->Show them the basic movements -> show them how recovery works -> do some practice versus in training without the fear of losing.

Move into normal versus and play until they find a main. Do a bunch of ditto's so they can see some ways to use the main.

From their on it's out of beginner and into them finding their own path and having fun. Hope this helps.

Vasilicus

Smash Journeyman
Step 1: Show them where MetaKnight is on the characters select screen.
Step 2: Show them where the B button is and where the control stick is.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Let them fight a level 3 CPU a few times, then you play against them, probably not do the 'advanced' stuff like edgehogging, chaingrabs, and stuff. Teach them how to win along the way. After they find a character and gets used to him/her, then it's basically skill improvement after that.

D

Deleted member

let them start out with a simple char such as marth or lucario

Saltix

Smash Lord

Explain the objective of the game ->Show them the basic movements -> show them how recovery works -> do some practice versus in training without the fear of losing.

Move into normal versus and play until they find a main. Do a bunch of ditto's so they can see some ways to use the main.

From their on it's out of beginner and into them finding their own path and having fun. Hope this helps.
Probably the best thing in terms of competency and correctness posted thus far.

Mith_

Smash Champion

Ha, I did that when teaching my cousin how to play 2d fighters, so why not smash? I didn't even think of that. Thanks.

fissionprime

Smash Apprentice
the how to play video would probably help, i would say start them off with a simple character and teach them the importance of not only using smahses, try to help them learn what place to use each move in and fight a few dittos.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Lol.. wouldn't he be cheating then? using a uber powerful character rather then using his own skills?

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Best way to teach someone to play Brawl.
Is to make them play Ganondorf.
Also have a tazer ready and use it whenever they fail to block or dodge a hit.
If they suicide punch them in the face.
They'll learn quickly.

Anyways other than the get easy real quick option ( ^ ), they could always just play the game and learn as they develop experience....

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
let them start out with a simple char such as marth or lucario
Marth maybe, but Lucario is definitely not a basic character. His Up-B is different than most, all of his moves flow in a manner different than everybody else. As everybody knows, he's like Melee's Mewtwo, minus the suck.

Mario is definitely one of the easier characters to learn, and somebody like Ike would teach the player about using moves OTHER than Up-B to recover. Which could be handy, as I've seen many newbies try and Up-B, only to Side-B.

D

Deleted member

Marth maybe, but Lucario is definitely not a basic character. His Up-B is different than most, all of his moves flow in a manner different than everybody else. As everybody knows, he's like Melee's Mewtwo, minus the suck.

Mario is definitely one of the easier characters to learn, and somebody like Ike would teach the player about using moves OTHER than Up-B to recover. Which could be handy, as I've seen many newbies try and Up-B, only to Side-B.
true on lucario, maybe ganon as starter, but not ike, that would only teach them how not to use up-b with everybody except ike.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Ike's isn't that unique, I think. Luigi in Melee had a similar one, relatively.

phatcat203

Smash Apprentice
For recovering without UP+B, Luigi would be a must. His UP+B is not very good for recovery, but Green Missile usually is, and Cyclone would teach them how to use moves that assist in recovery. And yeah, MK would be a good option, if they don't mind people saying that all their "skill" comes from playing him.

.Marik

is a social misfit
I lol'd all over the place. :laugh:

See the thing is, unless they have been playing from the start, or a timespan close to that, it's very difficult to keep up with all the hustle and bustle of Melee and Brawl.

trev94

Smash Journeyman
Go to traning mode. Then tell them what ever button does. Then let them pick the charater they like most.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Make a custom stage that is built to prevent falling off. This way they don't die and still learn to recover. I reccommend a flat stage with two canyons on each side. Make them deep enough that they get the point.

§leepy God

Smash Master
The best way to teach someone is to three stock your mentor everytime, sooner or later they will learn not to get three stocked and come closer to beating you with in a few hours. It's a cruel but great way for them to learn as long as they don't john.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Marth is not a simple character. Give them Pit. He has a projectile, good smashes, a decent air game, decent throws, and a good recovery.
Telling them to use Pit will teach them projectile and smash spam, and thats never a good thing.

She-Geek

Smash Cadet
My trainer smacks me in the leg really hard every time I royally mess up, it hurts but you get better FAST

randomselect

Smash Cadet
Well I don't know if I should be serious or not so.......BOTH, can you tell which is which?

1. Go to Brawl
2. Set it to Time battle Infinite time.
3. Make them choose random(this will be their main)
4. Choose Hyrule Temple
5. Come back in a week

OR

1. Make a stage where its difficult to KO
2. Go to training
3. Set Dummy to controller
4. Teach them every basic move like Up+B, smash attacks, etc
5. Let them play a 10 man Brawl.(If they lose repeat steps 2-4)
6. A simple Brawl with lvl. 3 CPU(s)
7. Play Classic on Very Easy or Easy

EDIT: If you are short on time see the above post^^^^^

BOP!

Smash Rookie
I teach my friends the basics, then play really easy against them(like standing still fr a few seconds right next to them) And as we play I start giving them mre advanced advice like to keep on their opponent's tail, or to juggle and tell them to edge guard.( a lot of the time they will think that is cheap at first.)

Tianxiazhai

Smash Journeyman
1. Buy Melee
2. Watch MELEES HOW TO PLAY VIDEO
3. YOU MUST RECOVER!!!

Really, teach them recovery.

Top Bottom