• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the best way to stop Lucas's knockback momentum?

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
I've been trying to test out what ways to stop him from dying from a big hit but I dont know which one is the best.

There is the normal air dodge slow down.
I have seen some people use down air.
Then I'm wondering if DownB can stop your momentum. It seems like it works but I dont know.

Any thoughts?

Levitas

the moon
Dair should be optimal, but fair and nair are only a frame behind, so I'd suggest fair so that you're aerially controlling the moment you can. The missed frame is pretty much negligible.

themrskills

Smash Apprentice
Actually, down B causes a slight increase in momentum, so using that to stop a big hit is a bad idea. Pretty much the best idea for preventing big hits is DI. Use it. It's magical.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
air dodge will not change your momentum, you just keep traveling in the same direction with the same momentum you get when you are initially knocked back... that being said, when youre knocked back vertically use dair... and horizontally, i'd stick with fair DI'ing back to the stage... really the dair works, use it

EDIT: c-stick your aerials

Levitas

the moon
I've heard that it's a function strictly of what frame the attack hitbox comes out in, and there's only a one frame difference between fair and dair. You're probably already pressing a side direction towards the stage from DI, so why bother moving your thumb to "down" and risk getting a fastfall when you can hold side and buffer aerial control towards the stage?

Levitas

the moon
NeoZero, Airdodge is the bad option. Dair doesn't cover you well when you're falling. You do want to DI to the side when hit upwards. Dair is technically better at stopping momentum, so if you're not bsticking, Dair is prettu much strictly the best move you can use for this when hit in any direction. I like fair because even though it's not optimal, I don't have to move my fingers as much to use it.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
So if you air dodge the instant you can after being hit, it doesn't slow you down??? I've had times when I did that and it slowed my down...

Also, since I just found out that your DI will only affect you if you are using it perpendicularly to the trajectory your being hit at, would the goal be for both horizontal and vertical hits be to fly in a diagonal path?

Levitas

the moon
It does slow you down, just not as well as an aerial will.

If you're being up, DI directly to the side unless that will kill you, then start DIing diagonal.

If you're hit diagonally to the side and up (most common) in brawl, you'll want to DI to the side you're not being hit and MAYBE up. Upwards DI can very easily kill lucas, and when you DI, you're not aiming to change the trajectory as much as possible (perpendicular to the trajectory DI), you're aiming to be hit into the top corners of the screen, where you can be hit the farthest and survive.

DI will save you more frequently than using an aerial, but do both.

Note that my answer for how to DI was an approximation. There's actually an algorithmic way to think about it, but it's more complex, and usually not worth thinking about in a fight.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
From the very little testing I've done with this, for horizontal hits, Fair will allow you to jump just as early as airdodging. None of these actually lessen your knockback, they simply allow you to do a jump earlier which lets you live slightly longer. Uair will kill you slightly earlier because it sends you slightly downward. Dair will kill you slightly earlier because it sends you downward. Nair works just as well as Fair. Bair takes longer than Fair, Nair or airdodge so you can't jump as soon so you die earlier.

For vertical hits, Dair will save you a few percentage because it sends you downward slightly. It is better than airdodging or anything else when you're being sent upward.

I'm interested to know where people have gotten any data that says that Fair allows you to recover better than airdodging because when I tested it, it worked exactly as well as airdodging. Remember that not only the first frame the attack comes out matters but also the frame that you can do another action as well. This is another reason that Dair isn't optimal, same with Bair.

Top Bottom