• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would you want in Metroid NX?

DreamFunk

Smash Cadet
Given that there hasn't been a metroid game since 2012 and Miyamoto himself said he would like to see the series on the NX, what features, areas, bosses, etc. would you like to have?

I'd just like another good 2D Metroid. Something in the style of A Link Between Worlds, maybe. Prime is fine and all, but I never liked it as much as the classics.

AZ_Spellbound

Smash Journeyman
Good back to a super metroid style game but pretty it up. Like how the Strider remake was

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Curse you smashboards, you went under maintenance while I typed up a pretty long post :/

To sum it up, less story in Metroid. Story is strong through silence, solitude, and how desolate the areas are. Super Metroid is a good example of this, especially the title screen. It's pretty menacing to have a title screen showing dead researchers and a lone Metroid that's up for grabs. I wouldn't mind data logs or reports to be honest, sort of like how Resident Evil does some of their underlying story. Put them in places like how they did instead of Adam talking or random scans and it'd be fine.

For gameplay, I wouldn't want the game to feel so restricting and segmented off. Metroid 2 and Fusion were fun games, but I'd rather make it a bit more open again. Something similar to Super and Zero Mission would be about right.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Pretty much a SM/MZM sequel. The former's level design, and the later's snappy controls. ZM's world map was fine and all but sequence breaks consisting of shooting a few blocks instead of clever use of the items you have makes experimenting feel less rewarding.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I wouldn't mind data logs or reports to be honest
This is how the Prime series handled it's storytelling, and quite frankly it's a fantastic method. I want to see the series as a whole utilize this more.

For a 2D Metroid, I'd want to see a game in the same vein as Super Metroid but with certain features implemented from Prime, such as beam switching in place of beam stacking and some form of the aforementioned data log thing. Not sure that a Scan Visor would work in 2D, as you have to actually look at the object in question and target it. Maybe have them as actual collectibles?

As for 3D, can you really do better than Prime? I won't say no to the series continuing(not talking about Federation Force, that's something a bit different).

Federation Force 2 :troll:
Slow your roll, dude. People are plenty salty already(I'm not).

Seriously though, I'm not seeing the issue with it.

DraastiK

Smash Rookie
NNID
DraastiK
I'd love to see more of a 2D platformer to be honest. Super Metroid is my favorite game. Seeing another Metroid game in that style would make me so happy.

Anatase

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilentHuntsman
What? Someone praising Other M? Perish the thought!

But yeah, I genuinely think Nintendo had something there with the third-person action, though having to switch to first-person to shoot missiles (Which PREVENTED MOVING) was stupid. Still, with a couple changes to the controls as I just mentioned, I think a third-person 3D Metroid game could be pretty damn cool.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Anthony Higgs as additional playable character

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
What? Someone praising Other M? Perish the thought!

But yeah, I genuinely think Nintendo had something there with the third-person action, though having to switch to first-person to shoot missiles (Which PREVENTED MOVING) was stupid. Still, with a couple changes to the controls as I just mentioned, I think a third-person 3D Metroid game could be pretty damn cool.
Having the Wii Remote as the sole control scheme was a bad idea. A fully 3D game should not be played with a limited controller. But that was just mistake No. 1.

Anatase

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilentHuntsman
Having the Wii Remote as the sole control scheme was a bad idea. A fully 3D game should not be played with a limited controller. But that was just mistake No. 1.
That's very true, though my point was the idea of a 3D Metroid game being played in third-person. Hopefully the NX's controller will have more options for the control scheme.

Fox who?

Smash Cadet
NNID
xanhil
3DS FC
4957-6199-7845
I think the prime series started strong (despite the awful backtracking in the first). Prime 1 was great, and I really enjoyed the second Prime. Prime 3 got me out of the series. I hated the direction they took. Prime 1 & 2 had very little dialogue, whereas 3 started having these oh so epic "twists" and whatnot.

If some of the stuff from the old Primes were integrated with the 2D platform Metroids, then I would go as far as to call it the perfect metroid. My favorites are Fusion and ZM (I know fusion was very linear, but come on, those boss fights though). The non-linear play of ZM and Super Metroid and the beautiful subtlety of Prime, along with some of the abilities, would probably make what could be my favorite of the series.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Oh yeah, Fusion did have fun bosses for the most part. Though it's difficult to have really hard boss fights in a series like this because you can end up with vastly different amounts of HP depending on how you play... As long as it's not like Super where you can tank like fifty hits against anybody not named Mother Brain I can live without.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Some people hated Adam in fusion because it made the game more linear, but I honestly think the objectives were a step in the right direction. I enjoyed knowing what to do next and not wandering around with no clear objective *cough* Metroid 1 *cough*, but still being able to explore around the space station on my own. I was also willing to sacrifice a tiny bit of isolation for a deeper plot.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
People didn't like Fusion because there was only one path to play, not because you were told were to go. ZM told you where to go but you but the difference was that you could go wherever you wanted instead of one specific point to progress.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Fusion was an alright game, it just felt much more linear compared to some of the others. I like having some leeway in my exploration(whatever current abilities permit, anyway).

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Wouldn't mind, though the Prime game were terribly restrictive most of the time. Especially 3. Didn't like how they kept "fixing" things with every rerelease either... Even simple things like knocking down the tower with the artifact on top of the Phendrana base early got removed.

Fox who?

Smash Cadet
NNID
xanhil
3DS FC
4957-6199-7845
To be fair, I didn't find the first one that restrictive. I found it pretty open and non-linear (mostly). Prime 2 got pretty linear, but I still liked it. Prime 3 and onward were crap IMO. I hated 3, and didn't even bother with Other M. I have low expectations for the new one, unfortunately.

Top Bottom