• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What was the point of Sakurai's character poll if...

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
If the 35 character roster ends up being true (and I mean IF)...then what was the point of Sakurai's poll? I mean, all the top ranking characters from his poll that are in the game so far, have been characters that he planned on making playable from the very beginning - Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Captain Olimar, etc. In fact, weren't those characters originally going to be in Melee? Why would he go to the trouble of having a poll for new characters, if he was just going to ignore all the characters on the poll except the ones he was already planning on using? Was the poll just to help build up hype for the game, or is it more evidence that the 35 character roster is bogus? If the 35 roster turns out to be true...then Sakurai's poll makes no sense at all.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
The poll wasn't "Decide who will be in Brawl," it was "Who would you like to see."

The poll told him Dedede, Olimar and Diddy were good choices, and he learned of other most wanted.

It's research. It's a good thing more developers should do before developing. So he might not have gone down the results and added them all. That's not a realistic expectation.

Besides, we're not sure the 35 is true. It hasn't been proven or disproven either way.

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
Why do people make polls about anything? Obviously to see who he should put in..If it was up to the fans then this game wouldn't make much sense. Sakurai and Company have to decide movesets, and sometimes get the rights to a certain character, i'm sorry if your favorite character isn't in but u have to realize so are 1000's of other peoples favorite characters

Shuma

Smash Hero
Also what are you complaining about, like you said, most of the top whanted characters are already confirmed, so even if the 35 character roster was true(it's not) it would be fine.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
If the 35 character roster ends up being true (and I mean IF)...then what was the point of Sakurai's poll? I mean, all the top ranking characters from his poll that are in the game so far, have been characters that he planned on making playable from the very beginning - Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Captain Olimar, etc. In fact, weren't those characters originally going to be in Melee? Why would he go to the trouble of having a poll for new characters, if he was just going to ignore all the characters on the poll except the ones he was already planning on using? Was the poll just to help build up hype for the game, or is it more evidence that the 35 character roster is bogus? If the 35 roster turns out to be true...then Sakurai's poll makes no sense at all.
No it doesn't. It just would mean that he picked certain characters highly ranked on the poll that he felt should be in the game and others he made Assist Trophies/bosses/etc. It wouldn't trivialize the poll, it would just make you upset that the poll didn't resolve everything the way you wanted. It still got Sonic into the game, anyway. The rest he may have intended all along, but if they place highly AGAIN, he's still going to prioritize them to be included. There's a limit on how much he can pack into one (dual-layer?) disc. There's a lot of other content on the disc than just a good roster.

"He already intended to put them in...that means he can't just settle for putting them in, he needs to do MORE!" No, it just doesn't work that way. Sorry. Game design isn't a process where Sakurai is at your beck and call, but the fans had some input in the game. Some. Not all.

Don't cry in your ovaltine, junior. The crappy roster isn't 100%, it just has backing by about four different leakers, two of which are betting IP bans (and those two didn't say "35 characters"), which isn't the same thing as 100% confirmation.

Let's wait and see.

solrac_krad

Smash Apprentice
Threads for nothing, if you thread is based on the 35 theory being tru, why dont you post this in the 35 roster thread???

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
Also what are you complaining about, like you said, most of the top whanted characters are already confirmed, so even if the 35 character roster was true(it's not) it would be fine.
I didn't say "most", I said all the characters that were in his poll that have been confirmed so far are ones that he was planning on using from the beginning. Actually, only 4 of the top 10 from his poll are playable as of right now - Dedede, Diddy, Ike, and Olimar. With the exception of Ike, those other 3 were originally going to be in Melee.

Maybe his poll was really an "Assist Trophy" poll?

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
I didn't say "most", I said all the characters that were in his poll that have been confirmed so far are ones that he was planning on using from the beginning. Actually, only 4 of the top 10 from his poll are playable as of right now - Dedede, Diddy, Ike, and Olimar. With the exception of Ike, those other 3 were originally going to be in Melee.

Maybe his poll was really an "Assist Trophy" poll?
I don't think anyone was looking forward to Diddy Kong, Dedede, and Sonic being assist trophies, dude. Face it. Some things were picked, some weren't picked. Some things may have been picked and we will find out about them soon. It has nothing to do with what kind of poll it was. It's as simple as "I did what I wanted, because I'm designing the game and the fans aren't."

Zek

Smash Ace
Not this again... It wasn't even a poll guys. That's a common misconception. IIRC it was actually a list of how many times each character's name came up in Sakurai's responses to fan e-mail or something along those lines.

Terrabottuti

Smash Journeyman
Call me crazy, but did Sakurai even HAVE a poll? From what I've heard, he was just showing off some emails, and people just counted up the results from all the characters featured in Sakurai's mailbag, or what Sakurai himself said. For all we know, the amount of people who wanted Dedede and Lucas and... well, everyone else confirmed, could REALLY outnumber the ones who aren't in yet.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
Not this again... It wasn't even a poll guys. That's a common misconception. IIRC it was actually a list of how many times each character's name came up in Sakurai's responses to fan e-mail or something along those lines.
And even still, it's an indicator of nothing.

It's funny as much as the 35 character roster convinces me, this gets me.

maybe he did it: For the Lols :p
Reyairia said it best. The man is a legendary freaking troll.

S2

Smash Lord
Sakurai's choices were never a popularity contest.

The poll was probably to give him a good indication of what fan reaction would be to the lineup he was thinking about incorporating.

Popularity doesn't equal a spot in Brawl. Technical challanges and other factors may limit a popular character from realistically being implimented. Just because everyone wants a certain character, doesn't mean that its automatically possible to just throw them in.

As far as we know, the poll may have only existed to fill in 1 or 2 undecided characters.

Siegfried

Smash Cadet
As much as I don't want to say this, adding more characters (especially unique ones like Olimar and Pokemon trainer) is most likely an extremely time-consuming activity. Not to mention all the hassle involved with balancing each of them with each other.

Since Super Smash Brothers is a battle between videogaming mascots, it only makes sense that only the most deserving would be made into a playable character. The characters that have already been confirmed are either protagonists/representatives of their respective franchises (Wario, Olimar, Ike, Lucas, Snake, Pit and Sonic) or long established major characters (Diddy Kong, Metaknight, Dedede, and Pokemon Trainer). On the other hand, characters like Geno, Krystal, and Ridley have only a cult following and not much public recognition. Krystal and Midna are newcomers to their respective franchises (and supporting characters to boot) and Ridley is a long established character, but one from a franchise that is largely unknown in Japan. As for Geno, Geno is a (largely) one shot supporting character that belongs partly to Square Enix. If Nintendo actually negotiates with Square Enix, I'd (and I assume that the vast majority of potential customers would agree with me) would rather see more iconic characters from Square Enix, or at least the three mentioned above. These characters (popularity amongst some fans not withstanding) are likely only secondary priorities in Sakurai's eyes.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Besides just the poll...only 4 out of 16 characters that "excited" him (and were on the poll) are currently playable. Good read:

It's been roughly a year since Sakurai closed the polls for Brawl suggestions. And yet, the list of characters suggested and Sakura's comments have never been completely clear to me. When searching the Web for info with Google, I came across an interesting interpretation of Sakurai's comments. Apparently, it was written by our forums' very own FlipTroopa, with notes by Marshigio of Smashbenders. Their comments were as follows...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Fliptroopa (notes by Marshigio, I think):

"King Dedede

He appears the most on the list, with a total of 5 definite nods out of all the entires shared with the public. Sakurai did make a comment when he was asked about Meta Knight that he was afraid he may never see Kirby or his other creations ever again since he left Nintendo, and now that he was back, he was going to relish it. He has always loved Meta Knight, Kirby, and King Dedede as a colorful trio of characters. He's said it many times in the past. He's also said that the reason Kirby games were underrepped in the past two Smashes was because he didn't want to overinclude himself, and screw other guys out of their own characters appearing. But now that this may be his final game, he stopped caring XD And, judging by his eagerness to read King Dedede requests, we can tell that's true!

*NOTE: This just in! http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=81891

Go there, and read a bit of history! I completely forgot about this, and eternally thank GenG for posting it again and freshening our minds. Basically, there was a similar poll for Melee in '99 (which I remember taking; they had it on the NOA site as well). If you notice, the number 1 choices pretty much all appeared in Melee in some form or another. Sakurai also separated the suggestions by series, and then commented on a few. What he says about Dedede is pretty profound.

Essentially: He intended for Dedede to appear in the original, but ran out of time and space. He also had the same happen for others like WARIO, PEACH, and BOWSER. And now go back, and look at the poll. And then your copy of Melee. And the Brawl trailer. Get it? Got it? Good. Now who is the ONLY number one character who does NOT appear in Melee/Brawl in any form (other than a trophy)?

I think we have our first confirmed Secret Fighter for Brawl *though I wouldn't jump too soon into any assumptions, just pointing out the very likely conclusion*

Krystal

I read once somewhere before that Sakurai was astounded by the popularity Star Fox had as a series, and that's partially why he decided Fox would get a clone in Falco when he had to go ahead and make clone characters in Melee. This time around he wants to keep the fans of Star Fox happy still, and supposedly was asking questions about Krystal the Fox to eager gamers. I don't know how definite what he said is what I'm saying here, but I heard that he essentially asked who she was, why they liked her, if they would like to see her, and how cool would it be to see her with that staff of hers. He was very intrigued by her after the E3 trailer was first shown, and journalists began throwing him ideas.

Diddy Kong

DKC is underrepped in Smash. We know this for a fact. And I'm sure Sakurai wouldn't mind changing that. Diddy was requested almost as much as Dedede, tying for second with a few other characters for top requested. He was also heavily requested for Melee, but left out for whatever reasons there may be. However, when Sakurai was presented with the idea for a Diddy/Dixie duo on his poll, he went crazy: he really liked it!

Ike

Since SSB64, Sakurai has wanted Sigurd to be a fighter. Of course, that never happened. And when he started work on Sigurd for Melee, he got cut off, and had to instead include Roy (Marth was already going to be included as Sigurd's "partner"). Now that Ike has replaced Sigurd as the top requested, and most popular, FE Lord in Japan, Sakurai has a new decision on his hands. He has expressed interest in the character before, even remarking that he was the first international lord that everybody seemed to like. So his chances are high. Especially with that new FE stage showing up in the trailer...

Ridley

Sakurai openly stated he wanted more Metroid characters. Whether that's legit, or just his polluted idea of "giving Western fans their own share," I'm not sure. But he's already redesigned Samus to match her Prime outfit (as well as her emblem), and is going all out by tossing in Zero Suit Samus. So is Ridley far behind? He has made a comment, not pertaining specifically to Ridley, that Metroid has leapt to a major forerunner franchise for the company again, and he feels that it's his duty to do it justice. Ridley is also tied for second most requested character, even on the Japanese polls.

Geno

Here's an interesting one. A character that actually belongs to Square, but belongs in the Marioverse. What does Sakurai think? Well, actually, he's intrigued. Geno is tied for second as well, and Sakurai has been noted as asking around for what the character is like. When he starts asking, it's a good thing, btw. It means he's bothering to learn who they are But Geno has been mentioned many-a-times, and Sakurai is listening to hard to each suggestion. And he's yet to turn them down. That's something, right?

Takamaru

I had to put him in here. Takamaru is tied for third on the top requested characters in the Japanese poll. But he's also got something else: Sakurai's interest. I've heard through the grapevine that Sakurai wants to see this character make a comeback, and I know for a fact that he's asking Japanese readers of his poll (or, I guess, "asked," since it's closed) to go back and play these retro games, because it will really expand their horizons. He has duly noted that he always knew Kid Icarus was really popular, and was waiting for the right moment. He MUST know that Nazo no Murasame is the same.

*NOTE: As far as Japan-only is concerned, it's not a concern. Sakurai stated he would like to avoid a BUNCH of Japanese only characters, but he's not against a few. Afterall, Marth and Roy did well for themselves, wouldn't you say? Irregardless, if we're talking specifics, a game like Nazo no Murasamejo is easy as hell to translate/slap on the western Virtual Console.

*NOTE 2: I guess I should clarify where I got this bit about Nazo no Murasame. There was a letter thanking Sakurai for inspiring a reader to go back and play Kid Icarus, because when he did he found out he loved it, and wants Pit even more. Sakurai has always said that he's more interested in the unique and the obscure, and Pit fit the bill very nicely. He's also said that he is a big fan of old NES titles, and would appreciate it if people spent time to go back and play them more often. As far as Takamaru is concerned, Sakurai supposedly has been previewing a lot of older NES titles, Nazo being one of them, for Brawl.

And here are a few characters you may NOT have known Sakurai is considering...

Little Mac

Not much here, but he did include a Punch-Out character in his poll, and has commented that he loves the franchise a LOT. He intended for Punch-Out trophies in Melee, including a 3D Mac in all his glory, but ran out of time. He does plan to look into the series further for this Smash Bros., as it is one of those "internationally popular" ones.

Balloon Fighter

He was in the beta for Melee, and is partially to blame for that alternate music in the Icicle Mountain stage. So what's the big deal? Sakurai has commented that he likes Balloon Fight, and that Balloon Fighter offers a lot of fun potential for a Smash Bros. game. He doesn't appear once in the poll, but that really means nothing in the end if you've never appeared--as long as Sakurai likes you. And clearly he likes the game and character. And clearly salvaging what they had from Melee Beta isn't hard.

Lolo

Sakurai has remarked a few times that he loves the character and his games. He copies a lot of stuff for Kirby games from the Eggerland/Lolo titles, and even goes so far as to include Lolo's doppelganger as a boss (Lololo) as well. He's sometimes even gone out of his way to tell people "look, i love this character, and i will bring him back if i have to." Supposedly he's pointed at Smash Bros. as one of the ways.

*NOTE: Early drawings from Kirby Canvas Curse actually show Lolo as a playable character, and this was one of the few games that Sakurai did come back to Nintendo to help develop. And if you want evidence that Sakurai likes Lolo, just play a Kirby game. Lololo and Lalala, Rocky, and Skulls all appear in Kirby games as enemies, and the games supposedly even share sound fx (never checked myself).

Muddy Mole

One of the few letters Sakurai actually responded to concerned none other than this character! Sakurai actually really enjoyed Miyamoto's Mole Mania game, and remarked that he would love to implement Muddy in some shape or form. To add even more rumor milling, he added that "he's so interesting, he might be in the roster already!" ...makes you wonder.

*NOTE: I am still waiting for the source on this, to be honest.

Sukapon

That's right kiddies. He appears twice on the poll, but Sakurai has commented on him nonetheless! Supposedly Sakurai has been looking towards a lot of retro NES titles, and has landed his eye on Joy Mech Fight affectionately. That's really... all there is. But it should be nice to note that Sukapon is remembered in Japan, and that technically Joy Mecha Fight is Smash Bros. NES. Sort of. .....did you know Smash Bros. was planned for SNES? *runs away*

*NOTE: I only added that emote for comedic effect >.>;; But Smash Bros. was actually planned for the SNES. This is fact. It was gonna use the FX Chip, like Star Fox did, to make a really funky fighting game. But it was scratched, and the project began for N64 instead.

Demiru

Appears more than once on the poll, and intrigues the hell out of Sakurai! The star of Tomato Adventure has a lot of potential up his sleeve, and Sakurai notes this repeatedly. Does this mean he has a chance? It depends. But Sakurai certainly read and enjoyed those lengthy requests for this character.

*NOTE: I don't know the exact numbers, but they are veeerrrryyy long requests. So long, they even give Demiru moves and expressions for the game. And Sakurai posted both of 'em.

Mach Rider

While Sakurai himself didn't say much about the character as it pertains to Brawl, rumor persists that MR was slated to appear in Melee in some form or another. Funny, considering his music and trophy are still left behind in the game. Rumors go so far, in some cases, as to suggest MR was playable in the beta alongside Balloon Fighter, and, if such is true, he wouldn't be hard to salvage for Brawl. Not to mention Sakurai did get a letter or two commending him for including such a vintage character in the trophy section of Melee, with music.

Mother Characters

I'm gonna lump this together, because there isn't really one specific character. Essentially, the entire party of Mother 2, Ninten from Mother 1, and Lucas, Claus, and Kumatora from Mother 3 all popped up on Sakurai's poll. Claus got a bigger deal of attention, considering his "LOL SECRET," and Sakurai, who DID WORK ON MOTHER 3 *hint hint*, mentioned amongst the letters that he would be including stuff from the game. Now, firstly, he confirmed in Famitsu that Mother 3 music was appearing in Brawl. Secondly, he confirmed that had EB2/64/M3 been released pre SSB64, Ness would've been replaced by Lucas. He even held out for it to be released prior to Melee, to try and put in Lucas then. So, now that Lucas is out, what happens to Ness....?

Animal Crossing

While the Animal Crossing "human" has appeared twice on the poll, and somebody joked with Sakurai about having Tom Nook fight, he hasn't really said anything. He knows it's a big deal with a lot of fans, though, so maybe that counts for something? Personally, I'd doubt that he'd throw AC FIGHTERS into the mix, but maybe a stage or something. He seems like the guy that would enjoy such a game, but wouldn't like the idea of playing as Tom Nook.
On the other hand, characters like Geno, Krystal, and Ridley have only a cult following and not much public recognition. Krystal and Midna are newcomers to their respective franchises (and supporting characters to boot) and Ridley is a long established character, but one from a franchise that is largely unknown in Japan.
lol @ this

Ridley only has a cult following? What?? He is the only other important character in one of Nintendo's best selling franchises. Metroid is one of only a handful of Nintendo series that falls in the top 50 best selling franchises in the world for all time.

Also...Japan is always forcing their Japan-only characters down our throats, why in the world would it being "largely unknown in Japan" make a difference?? Where is our Mother 3? I've never seen it. Oh, and fyi...2D Metroids are pretty popular in Japan. This is why Zero Suit was included. Also, Ridley was popular on the Japanese poll. So...yeah.

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
One would figure that, if Sakurai was TRULY excited about them, he would put them in, immediately.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Sakurai openly stated he wanted more Metroid characters. Whether that's legit, or just his polluted idea of "giving Western fans their own share," I'm not sure. But he's already redesigned Samus to match her Prime outfit (as well as her emblem), and is going all out by tossing in Zero Suit Samus. So is Ridley far behind? He has made a comment, not pertaining specifically to Ridley, that Metroid has leapt to a major forerunner franchise for the company again, and he feels that it's his duty to do it justice. Ridley is also tied for second most requested character, even on the Japanese polls.
Japan doesn't give a **** about Metroid my ***.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
From what I have heard, the most requested characters for Melee didn't get into that game. For the highly requested newcomers for Brawl, it's not out of the question that some are left out.

He has already chosen several characters from the top of the list, it's not like he totally ignored it. He just hasn't used the list to build the entire roster, assuming the 35 character list is true. The poll really does make sense if you look at it.

That isn't to say I am happy he only took 4 or 5 of the top choices, but I doubt he ever said he was going to take all of the top requests and make them playable.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
From what I have heard, the most requested characters for Melee didn't get into that game. For the highly requested newcomers for Brawl, it's not out of the question that some are left out.

He has already chosen several characters from the top of the list, it's not like he totally ignored it. He just hasn't used the list to build the entire roster, assuming the 35 character list is true. The poll really does make sense if you look at it.
The popular choices for Melee were left out because of time. It's obvious that whoever gets into Brawl was intentionally put in or left out. Time was not an issue. Space, maybe, but not time. They were deliberate about the roster, however it turns out.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
The popular choices for Melee were left out because of time. It's obvious that whoever gets into Brawl was intentionally put in or left out. Time was not an issue. Space, maybe, but not time. They were deliberate about the roster, however it turns out.
Logical, but wouldn't he want to start out with the popular characters if putting them in was that important? At least, I would start with veterans, then popular newcomers, then others. The top pick didn't make it though. I am not Sakurai though... so I can't really say much there. Maybe that is why I am not in the game development business.

Siegfried

Smash Cadet
Ridley only has a cult following? What?? He is the only other important character in one of Nintendo's best selling franchises. Metroid is one of only a handful of Nintendo series that falls in the top 50 best selling franchises in the world for all time.

Also...Japan is always forcing their Japan-only characters down our throats, why in the world would it being "largely unknown in Japan" make a difference?? Where is our Mother 3? I've never seen it. Oh, and fyi...2D Metroids are pretty popular in Japan. This is why Zero Suit was included. Also, Ridley was popular on the Japanese poll. So...yeah.
I know 5 friends over here in Japan that are planning to get Smash Brothers. None of them knew of a series called Metroid before I told them "Its the game where Samus from Smash Brothers came from". 2D Metroid is popular here? Perhaps amongst hardcore gamers. Considering that the so called poll listed Geno amongst the top of the rankings, I'd say that there is a rather large gap between the opinions of people who actually sent e-mails to Sakurai, and the average gamer who's going to buy Smash Brothers. Metroid was under-repped so it got Zero-suit Samus (who could be incorporated into Samus's moveset).

I'm hardly flat out denying Ridley's chances of getting into Brawl. I'd say that amongst the 4 I've listed, Ridley has the greatest chance considering how his series is under-reped and how many times he reoccures in the game. But he's hardly comparable to Wario, Diddy Kong, Olimar and Sonic.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
I know 5 friends over here in Japan that are planning to get Smash Brothers. None of them knew of a series called Metroid before I told them "Its the game where Samus from Smash Brothers came from". 2D Metroid is popular here? Perhaps amongst hardcore gamers. Considering that the so called poll listed Geno amongst the top of the rankings, I'd say that there is a rather large gap between the opinions of people who actually sent e-mails to Sakurai, and the average gamer who's going to buy Smash Brothers. Metroid was under-repped so it got Zero-suit Samus (who could be incorporated into Samus's moveset).

I'm hardly flat out denying Ridley's chances of getting into Brawl. I'd say that amongst the 4 I've listed, Ridley has the greatest chance considering how his series is under-reped and how many times he reoccures in the game. But he's hardly comparable to Wario, Diddy Kong, Olimar and Sonic.
Ness says hi.

Siegfried

Smash Cadet
Ridley > Ness, so to speak. Yet Ness is practically confirmed.
Ness was a protagonist of his own game, the former rep of the Mother series, and a regular in Smash Brothers since the original. I can't see how Ridley>Ness. Ness' general worth came down a bit because of Lucas joining Brawl, but since many of his moves are supposedly different, Sakurai could just put Ness in Brawl relatively easily as a somewhat original character. They'd have to design a whole new moveset for Ridley.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Ness was a protagonist of his own game, the former rep of the Mother series, and a regular in Smash Brothers since the original. I can't see how Ridley>Ness. Ness' general worth came down a bit because of Lucas joining Brawl, but since many of his moves are supposedly different, Sakurai could just put Ness in Brawl relatively easily as a somewhat original character. They'd have to design a whole new moveset for Ridley.
If you look at the franchises though it's basically "Main character from minor series vs Important reoccurring villain from a major series." Do you take the protagonist part as more important than the major series part? That is where the opinion falls and where the character debates arise from...

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
Actually, if you just change Bowser's Up+B, and bring back his Koopa Claw, and add a few tail attacks in here and there, you've pretty much got Ridley :D

Arteen

Smash Lord

Dictionary.com said:

Unless I am mistaken, it was a poll.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
Actually, if you just change Bowser's Up+B, and bring back his Koopa Claw, and add a few tail attacks in here and there, you've pretty much got Ridley :D
Was thinking a semi-Bowser clone would work perfectly fine. I don't see how it's hard to do unless they REALLY can't think of another Metroid villain to be boss fodder in SSE.

Look, is it that hard to just use Kraid or Mother Brain? Or something?

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I don't see how Ridley and Bowser could have anything similar besides maybe three attacks... Fire breath of some sort, a claw grab, and the grab+a where they bite. Anyway, that is going a bit off topic, even with three or four moves similar to Bowser, I would have rather seen Ridley in over several characters in the 35 character roster.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
Because he wants to know who is going to be in Super Smash Bros. 4. You think the 35 character roster is completely stupid because you do not notice the pattern. I however did notice it.

Smash 64: 8 new default characters; 4 new hidden characters, none of which are WTF worthy (Jigglypuff was the second most popular Pokemon and while Earthbound was cultish in North America, MOTHER 2 is pretty popular in Japan!), and 1 of which was a clone (Luigi).
Melee: 4 new default characters; 9 new hidden characters, 1 of which is WTF worthy (Mr. Game & Watch?!) and 6 of which were clones (THE clones... Falco, Ganondorf, Young Link, Roy, Dr. Mario, and Pichu)
Brawl: 9 new default characters; 5 new hidden characters, 1 of which is WTF worthy (ROB?!), but only Wolf is likely to be a clone.

The whole reason why Brawl's unlockable roster sucks is BECAUSE there are no new clones. If you take out the clones from Melee, you'd have a pitiful roster of 19 that only has the more popular selections of the poll, and unexpected characters in Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch. and of that fictional 19-character roster ONLY THREE NEW HIDDEN CHARACTERS WITH ORIGINAL MOVESETS ARE PLAYABLE! Marth, Mewtwo, and Mr. Game & Watch.

Remember, Brawl had the development time of 2 years, versus Melee's 18 months. That's ONLY an extra 6 months!

Sakurai drives for perfection, and as we know the 35-character roster is NOT perfect... I fully expect Super Smash Bros. 4 to have Ridley, Krystal, and Geno as default characters. I mean he PLANNED the Final Smash to be in Super Smash Bros. 64! Brawl has many things he originally wanted in the original, but there is probably stuff even he didn't get a chance to put in. If Sakurai MADE his perfect game... THE perfect Super Smash Bros... There would be no need for a sequel. He has three years before he might be asked to make a Super Smash Bros. 4, and I think he will make a Super Smash Bros. 4.

Chepe

Smash Lord
You guys realize that the "poll" that has been going around wasnt the poll right? It was just a bunch of mentions or something he got from every 10 emails or something. Do you really believe only about 20 people sent emails and those are the results right there?

Sakurai's Brawl poll havent been released yet in the way the Melee one was, with every single character vote counted. We have to wait and see if he does decide to release it...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
To turn most of the character suggestions into ATS. :ohwell: The only characters that weren't "left-over" ideas from Melee are Olimar, Ike (who shares a decent amount of characteristics with Marth and Roy), and Lucario (who will probably end up playing a lot like Mewtwo) for obvious reasons. All the other characters were either rumored or confirmed to be heavily considered for Melee.

Rumored:

Wolf (Appeared in Melee's opening movie but didn't have a trophy despite being the third most requested Star Fox character behind Falco and Slippy.)

Diddy Kong (Didn't have a trophy despite being the third most requested character in the Rare category and K. Rool and Dixie having their own trophies.)

Wario (Was the third most requested Mario character after Bowser and Peach. Rumor has it that Wario was replaced by Dr. Mario and Wolf by Falco because Sakurai didn't want to "take anything away from their independence and unique characteristics." In other words, making them clones of their rivals would have been an insult to the fans.)

Confirmed:

Snake (Kojima said in, I believe, 2002 that he had tried to get Snake in Melee but it was too late in the development to put in him.)

Sonic (Almost the exact same as the above but it wasn't confirmed by Naka until, I believe, late 2003. Was the third most requested third party character behind Chocobo and Doremon *yes, a Digimon character*.)

Pit (Sakurai said his staff had issues with creating "flying" characters in Melee. Had five votes in the Melee poll but it has to be mentioned that the Ice Climbers only had 4.)

Metaknight (Same as the above and Sakurai said he didn't want to uplift his characters over other peoples'. Was the third most requested Kirby character behind King Dedede and "a random helper.")

King Dedede (See the second half of the above comment. Also rumored to have been considered for the original. King Dedede was the most requested in his category and in the top 5 overall.)

Lucas (Sakurai said on the old Melee site that Lucas would have replaced Ness if Mother 64 hadn't have been cancelled.)

No rumors or confirmation:

Pokemon Trainer (Was the third most requested Pokemon character behind Mewtwo and Mew as "Red". More then likely, Sakurai's staff didn't want to overflood Melee's roster with Pokemon characters and the character's fighting style was too complex at the time. It should also be noted that Charizard was still a pokeball pokemon.)

Well, there you have it. A vast majority of Brawl's roster consists of rehashed characters and those they "forgot" to add in the last installment. Swell... :ohwell:

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
Well, there you have it. A vast majority of Brawl's roster consists of rehashed characters and those they "forgot" to add in the last installment. Swell... :ohwell:
That's why some people are referring to Brawl as "Super Smash Bros. Melee 2.0"...that is, assuming that the 35 character roster is true.

Top Bottom