• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What type of Smasher are You?

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
imma tourny*** but i still like wifi and basic brawl and playing for lulz

I

Inershia

I'd have to say that I'm a competitive smasher.
I like a play based more on skill than having home-run bats thrown at you.
I do like the occasional smash ball though. :3

LinkSlash01

Smash Rookie
I'm so-so at brawl, in the middle, you know? I'm not really competitive because I play the game for fun. Items are fun to use, but it's even better to play with just your skills to help you.

inditled

Smash Apprentice
well it wasnt too long ago when i was a scrub but then i saw the light xD so yea no more scrubness also i only play melee, brawl no longer entertains me[ tho i do play an ocational friendly when asked] also im doing my first tourny tomorow :D

Alpha Dash

Smash Ace
competitive myself, I do spend time getting beter, just not day in day out :p I did however believe I was competitive back in the childhood days where I used to run for the homerun bat and pokéballs... Now is a whole different ball game "L-cancelling :O Combos :O Desunching (IC's)" now its very easy to keep up with but learning it all was a mind busting process.

Clel

Smash Journeyman
I'm the CPU destroyer, I wreck CPUs all day and all night, I don't know nothing of the real matchup between DK and Yoshi, but if I'm DK against a CPU Yoshi I can write paragraphs of why it's 90:10 my favor. I may do horrid at tourneys and get called a scrub alot, but when I get back home and fight a lv9er I'm as pro as it gets!

zray

Smash Rookie
Im the type of smash that loves to sue mindgames and advances techniques :].

Healer

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I feel i'm everything except pro, I love to play brawl for fun, and I don't get why competitive people have so much rules, be a little free, I mean seriously, whenever i play with my pro friend he whines so much when we go to Distant planet, just because it's not in the tourneys. Then i feel I'm a competitive player because I do want to get better, I mean whats more fun than winning right? Lastly I'm a hardcore smasher, sure I don't like that they nerfed Fox, he was my favorite character, but so what? Atleast now i can open up the horizons (okay not really cuz i chose wolf as my main.)

2cool4u

Smash Rookie
I'm a casual player who likes to try new ATs and use them sporadically during matches, sometimes as mindgames that even I don't see coming. Every few matches, I seem to get serious and finish a 3-stock in under a minute; but it's totally unintentional. I do better when I don't try to win :confused:

Gindler

Smash Champion
I'm sorry but the first post just made me laugh. Pro/competitive smashers are still good with items on very high on temple. ohhhh those non-smashers

S

shadowyoshigamernerd

hey, where do u find those things? i'm medium-good and not overly agressive(unless u use black pit) i can (probably)totally own you with yoshi

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I play casually! Though I have been to tournaments before and done very well. I never get in that, "tournament" spirit though. I still feel like it's a friendly haha.

Hypn0tic_Specter

Smash Rookie
I've been a hardcore casual smasher since Smash64. I've recently gotten into the competitive scene with Melee and lean more towards that mindset, though I still enjoy some casual Brawl and 64 matches from time to time.

juliang2g

Smash Rookie
Well playing competitivly and playing just fun kinda are the same thing, bkuz ur tryna win either way.

BeaR_is_ClutcH

Smash Rookie
I'd consider myself a competitive/casual gamer if that makes any sense. I play with a laid back style but with competitive settings.

lockNload

Smash Rookie
I never see or hear of any tournies around here. I can't make actual dates for smashing with people, so I mostly am forced to play against cpus.

I don't go anywhere, so I can't actually smash with other people in person regularly. The last time I actual smashed with someone in person who is capable of beating me was for about an hour over a month ago. Before that, I hadn't smashed with him since around the time the game actually came out.

I usually have to play against him online, in fact, all the videos of me smashing are online against him. There's two other guys I can play against online, they're my uncles (the guy I've been talking about) friends, but they suck and I never actually lose to them, their matches aren't worth recording.

I will be going over someone elses house this weekend, and am bringing my laptop and capture card to try and record some matches of myself as Falco, who I am really good with, but is impossible to use online.

For the time being check out my Youtube channel and see all the vid's I have up at the moment. http://www.youtube.com/user/helinator

Sterkuleze

Smash Rookie
Fun is in the eye of the beholder. There really is no particular "fun" way to play brawl, nor any properly competitive way. Items and crazy stages can be competitive, and 1v1 matches on Final D can be a lot of fun. I think both these things. Other people may have different ideas. People can't/shouldn't get mad at others because they "take all the fun out of it." Indeed, there are differing opinions of what fun IS.

lockNload

Smash Rookie
I'm a very competitive person: I find fun in winning by skill, not items or by exploiting homo stages. So yeah, to me taking the fun out of it is using items or picking hyrule, it's not fun getting spammed by final smashes or having to chase the guys I'm fighting constantly.

Jochnick

Smash Rookie
A mix up!

I'd say I'm somewhat of a mix up between a casual and a hardcore smasher, I play because it's fun and because of the sheer awesomeness of the game, and at the same time I want to get better, know the game more etc. etc.

I gotta say man, you are absolutly correct, these so called "pro smashers" are only goo at the way THEY play this game, they wouldn't last 1 min in a free for all with items on and 4 players, then they would blame their loss on the items, or say that free for all require no kind of actuall "skill". If you ask me, FFA require eve mre skill then a 1 on 1 game since you'll have to focus on fighting 3 opponnents instead of 1, you'll have to watch you back when your attacking some one and be careful not to be back stabbed. And you can actually be skilled with items...
EX: During a wi-fi game I played with C.F (It was 3 players) my 2 enemies got stucn in a S bomb explosion when I was standing a few meters away with a star rod in my hand. I anticipated where one of my opponnents woul be sent flying AFTER the explosion and with some carfeull timeing I threw the rod straight, I hit the dude and KO'd him, and that takes no kind of skill? My ***....
There are my then 1 way to be "skilled" in this game.

Also... CAPTAIN FALCON FTW!

mjz

Smash Rookie
I like this thread, I would probably just class myself as a casual smasher. Super Smash Bros. Bawl is the first game I've bought of it's kind and I really love it! I cant wait for more of the Smash Bros. games to come out as well; I'm not sure but probably as time goes on, I will move on to be a more of a hardcore player.

jo3bro

Smash Rookie
I think im both, if that's possible, I enjoy item messes sometimes and other times I just want to play singles with a friend as if it were a tourny. I honestly think im both.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
I'd say I'm somewhat of a mix up between a casual and a hardcore smasher, I play because it's fun and because of the sheer awesomeness of the game, and at the same time I want to get better, know the game more etc. etc.

I gotta say man, you are absolutly correct, these so called "pro smashers" are only goo at the way THEY play this game, they wouldn't last 1 min in a free for all with items on and 4 players, then they would blame their loss on the items, or say that free for all require no kind of actuall "skill". If you ask me, FFA require eve mre skill then a 1 on 1 game since you'll have to focus on fighting 3 opponnents instead of 1, you'll have to watch you back when your attacking some one and be careful not to be back stabbed. And you can actually be skilled with items...
EX: During a wi-fi game I played with C.F (It was 3 players) my 2 enemies got stucn in a S bomb explosion when I was standing a few meters away with a star rod in my hand. I anticipated where one of my opponnents woul be sent flying AFTER the explosion and with some carfeull timeing I threw the rod straight, I hit the dude and KO'd him, and that takes no kind of skill? My ***....
There are my then 1 way to be "skilled" in this game.

Also... CAPTAIN FALCON FTW!
*Facepalms* :urg:

You are telling us that you could beat someone like M2K with items on.

I would pay to see this go down. :laugh:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Guess he hasn't considered team matches. You'd have to look at two enemies, while looking at yourself and your team mate. ;p

Also, he should just go up to M2K and ask him to play a 1v1 ITEMS match and then see what happens. Or maybe ask KEN or ISAI. Although then you'd have to see what items are legit in a match, you'd still need skill man, don't rely on items. ;3

Then, you'd also wouldn't be playing for FUN. Now you are trying to show off who is BETTER, and fun wouldn't matter at that time. Although, you could be the best and no one would know, you just need results.

Play a 1v1 match with M2K, then probaly in friendlies or something, a 1v1 items match, and see the difference. If there was any, hopefully for ya. ;p

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Pro smashers are good at the way they play the game, that's true. That also happens to be the most skill-driven way to play, and not based on luck like FFAs with items. There's a reason competitive players use the SBR ruleset.

I'm sure that most pros could own you with items as well, Joch.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yes once you are really great at the game items shouldn't be a problem. Although, I think items should be left for friendlies or just a match where you are laying back with your buddies and just for fun.

DiRtY-D

Smash Rookie
Casual/Competitive/slightlyHardcore Smasher. Right here.

I mean most of the time, me and my peeps consider Smash a sport. But every once in a while we go for the "Bat Matches", "Inferno Matches", "Pokemon Battles" and all that. I'll ride with Smash no matter what. Smash is life =].

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
I'm gonna have to go with DiRtY-D on this one, i was about to write nearly the same thing.
That's mostly why i play as Game and Watch, because the hilarity makes the game. Not that i don't get competitive or what not, but i still would stick with the game even if they took out the stock matches. It just makes me feel bad when i see people who really are the stereotypical Competitive smashers, it makes me wonder if they even realize the point of it being a (completely friggin' awesome) game.

By the way, nice first post, kirby, no surprise you're in the back room.

Top Bottom