• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What type of Smasher are You?

Aries

Smash Rookie
I my self am a casual competitive player, hardcore on all levels. I enjoy competition for the thrill and adrenaline. The first time I faced someone above my skill level by a noticeable degree was when I went to my first melee tournament. I was not actually playing in the tournament, but playing on the side, all but two of them were 4 player matches and I was seeing some tecniques for the first time. Samus bomb recovery being one of them. And implemented it in the following match, I won as yoshi and surprised everyone, then one of my fondest games ever, it was shortly after that that I asked an exceptional falco player to play 1v1. I was using marth. It was the first time I was 4 stocked in my life, his timing could not have been better, we played another game and I lost by 3 stock. But before we could get another game in the tournament started. I was enjoying facing someone who I could not only play my best at, but losing horribly at the same time. When they announced the tournament was starting he asked if I was playing, I told him I wanted to but didn't arrive in time, he told me that it was too bad, that I probably could have won. :) I was ecstatic from the games for the next 2 hours. Win or lose, I have fun.

Since then I have won three tourneys. And haven't felt quite the same excitement as facing him, but darn close. :)

xelados

Smash Rookie
I guess I'm a middle-of-the-road Smasher. I like my casual matches because some seriously crazy **** happens. Sometimes I come up with moves I didn't think I could've pulled off. It's hilarious to create a stage for the sole purpose of playing Sudden Death and Bumpers on high, too. My fiancée and I laughed so hard we cried.

My other side wants to pick apart whatever character I'm playing and figure them out. What are they good at? What am _I_ good at? Where's the balance? What limit can I push myself to? There's no way I can get to any tournaments due to where I live, but that doesn't stop me from experimenting on my own and trying to teach anyone who wants to learn how to improve.

I guess I follow the one goal that's always been a constant in my life: balance.

leeper

Smash Rookie
I kinda fall somewhere between err well...everything...

I want to get better at smash but don't have access to constant local melee players and the AI does not offer the same kind of technique that real players do so in that sense I am a bit limited.

I have played a couple of very low level tourney's and placed relatively well but these weren't professional and I know for a fact that most of the good players would use me as their personal ping-pong-ball...

I also stick mostly with Link despite the fact that he isn't the best character to use. I do switch up to Marth / Shiek occasionally just for variation though...

So yeah I play all kinds of ways; I am happy to play with weapons on high or no weapons at all etc...

As for Brawl I have no idea yet seeing as I am in the UK :p

Sammyblue

Smash Rookie
File me under "plays for fun".

I like all the variation in the levels, but I don't like the items. It gets confusing with all the items flying around. I'd never play competitively,. It's too much **** fun to just play for playing's sake. I have to admit that I'd like to play better, though, because I'm really pretty lousy.

On a side note, I noticed that you guys take this really seriously, don't you?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
On a side note, I noticed that you guys take this really seriously, don't you?
Yes, we do. :)

I've always taken all of my video games very seriously, considering it's what I spend the bulk of my time doing. It's like how some people take sports, for me.

Smash Bros has tons to debate, so...yeah, discussions here can get pretty heated. You can expect a lot of SSB64 vs. Melee vs. Brawl arguments, specifically.

pirateguru

Smash Apprentice
I guess I would be completive. I like to go to tournaments. I'll meet up with people that I talk to on forums to play just so i can get better ( In person. I don't think online counts that much unless there's no lag.).

SheikahKun

Smash Rookie
Competetive Smasher for me.. I'm not even pro, but I still go through the time to analyze techs when playing even with friends and all, trying to get better, etc.

Good thread..!

-Zangetsu-

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'd best describe myself as:

Competitive: Love to Compete and already in tourny's
Casual: Still occasionally play with Random Characters with all items on on whatever stage for funs ^^
Hardcore: been playing since 64, Will Play Brawl Until the next Smash Game is released at least once a day.

KURiSUTARU

Smash Rookie
I'd say I'm a Casual-Competitive smasher. I'll play to win if I feel like it, but I'll also put all Pokéballs on high at Norfair in a Super Sudden Death match. There are some stages I find ridiculously unfair, but seriously - how fun is it to watch Bowser go flying at 25%?

But still, If I have a score to settle or just want to beat somone / do well, I'll go hardcore. No items, a fair stage and a three-stock match. I like to beat on computer players, even though I know that computer players and real players use characters differently. I really want to compete in a Smash tournament, but unfortunately there aren't many where I live. I like to try advanced techs and use them in battle, especially if whoever I'm playing against doesn't know about them.

b13lion

Smash Apprentice
Competitive/Hardcore

Wow, this is a great thread and an awesome opening post, I relate the most to the competitive/hardcore description you gave and I totally relate with your dedication to Kirby except it's Link for me...I mained Link in 64 and melee but I have a very open mind in Brawl now(I love Lucas! he kicks as$) and I don't really have the time like I use to have for 64 and melee...(growing up sucks :(...I was around 14 years old when smash64 came out so I had alot more time on my hands back then) but anyways...I don't consider myself a pro because I haven't been to enough tournaments to call myself a pro, however I have been to a big smash 64 tourney before melee came out and I've been to a few melee tourneys, the only brawl tourney I've been to was gamestop's big tourney but I didn't make it past the first round :ohwell:... I'm alot better now than I was then, but the most fun I have with Smash is playing against my best friend Chris and just going back and forth kicking each others as$...when I play with him is when I most analyze my timing and try to figure out what I did wrong when I lose and how I can improve and come back the next game and win.

bottom line: Smash is GREATNESS and I will never abandon it! It is the greatest game ever made!

Daenomyte

Smash Rookie
I'm the casual-hardcore- that's- tired- of- playing- the- level- 9- computer- and- is- finally- branching- out- into- the- world- with- a- newfound- love- for- the- competitive- game- after- playing- on- wifi- with- a -few- people- so- therefore- have- this- determination- to- at- least- the- best- in- his- neighborhood,- if- anything...-smasher.

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
Wow, this is a great thread and an awesome opening post, I relate the most to the competitive/hardcore description you gave and I totally relate with your dedication to Kirby except it's Link for me...I mained Link in 64 and melee but I have a very open mind in Brawl now(I love Lucas! he kicks as$) and I don't really have the time like I use to have for 64 and melee...(growing up sucks ...I was around 14 years old when smash64 came out so I had alot more time on my hands back then) but anyways...I don't consider myself a pro because I haven't been to enough tournaments to call myself a pro, however I have been to a big smash 64 tourney before melee came out and I've been to a few melee tourneys, the only brawl tourney I've been to was gamestop's big tourney but I didn't make it past the first round ... I'm alot better now than I was then, but the most fun I have with Smash is playing against my best friend Chris and just going back and forth kicking each others as$...when I play with him is when I most analyze my timing and try to figure out what I did wrong when I lose and how I can improve and come back the next game and win.

Seraphie

Smash Rookie
Oh, competitive, most definitely. Sure, I'll play with items on occasionally, but I really prefer to keep Smash a test of skill. A lot of my friends say I take it too seriously. ):

Zero%

Smash Cadet
i know this has been post for a real long time but i think this guy is genius . i tohught that all of my firends that always were playing with the smash ball and free for all were noobs but now i see thinks from their poin of view .

Mumfie

Smash Rookie
Hardcore Smasher:

Basicly played since N64 when i was a kid.
My parents gave me a gamecube at xmas with melee and i've been playing the game every since. As a europian i've suffered a long time to get brawl but i received my copy 2 weeks ago.
Enjoy the game alot =)

b13lion

Smash Apprentice
Wow, this is a great thread and an awesome opening post, I relate the most to the competitive/hardcore description you gave and I totally relate with your dedication to Kirby except it's Link for me...I mained Link in 64 and melee but I have a very open mind in Brawl now(I love Lucas! he kicks as$) and I don't really have the time like I use to have for 64 and melee...(growing up sucks :(...I was around 14 years old when smash64 came out so I had alot more time on my hands back then) but anyways...I don't consider myself a pro because I haven't been to enough tournaments to call myself a pro, however I have been to a big smash 64 tourney before melee came out and I've been to a few melee tourneys, the only brawl tourney I've been to was gamestop's big tourney but I didn't make it past the first round :ohwell:... I'm alot better now than I was then, but the most fun I have with Smash is playing against my best friend Chris and just going back and forth kicking each others as$...when I play with him is when I most analyze my timing and try to figure out what I did wrong when I lose and how I can improve and come back the next game and win.

bottom line: Smash is GREATNESS and I will never abandon it! It is the greatest game ever made!
Wow, this is a great thread and an awesome opening post, I relate the most to the competitive/hardcore description you gave and I totally relate with your dedication to Kirby except it's Link for me...I mained Link in 64 and melee but I have a very open mind in Brawl now(I love Lucas! he kicks as$) and I don't really have the time like I use to have for 64 and melee...(growing up sucks ...I was around 14 years old when smash64 came out so I had alot more time on my hands back then) but anyways...I don't consider myself a pro because I haven't been to enough tournaments to call myself a pro, however I have been to a big smash 64 tourney before melee came out and I've been to a few melee tourneys, the only brawl tourney I've been to was gamestop's big tourney but I didn't make it past the first round ... I'm alot better now than I was then, but the most fun I have with Smash is playing against my best friend Chris and just going back and forth kicking each others as$...when I play with him is when I most analyze my timing and try to figure out what I did wrong when I lose and how I can improve and come back the next game and win.
Why did you copy and paste my post? Did you mean to quote me and say something afterwards or what? I'm confused :confused:

MetaMaster128

Smash Rookie
I am not that competitive. I mostly favor fast characters and some with swords. In particular, I am good with; Meta Knight=Brawl Champion
Sonic=Favorite fast character
Entire Star Fox group
King Dedede=Best heavy character
Marth=Former Melee Champion
Captain Falcon=Favorite since 64
Toon Link= The new young link who i was awesome with in melee
Lucario=The new Mewtwo who was one of my favorites
Pickachu=Fast and quick
:)

peeup

Smash Lord
I'd say I'm casual/competitive. I don't mind playing with items to just fool around and have fun, but I also like the no items-three stock-final destination type of brawling, too.

Thakidd12

Smash Rookie
Hardcore Smasher please. Sheesh, I remember playin as Ness and owning everyone on 64....And then it was Falco on Melee, and I don't have brawl yet, but it'll be Lucario when I have it. :D

Fatalized

Smash Apprentice
wow..go kirby kid
i would call myself casual. Im good but not that good. My brother is a Expert tho.
He can combo really well. Hes one about two tournaments for melee and he is about to
join any brawl tounament coming up. Anyone want to WiFi him?

kong_hulk

Smash Rookie
l just enjoy playing, especially with good players i enjoy a good challenge
best character: King dedede
second best: Marth

kong_hulk

Smash Rookie
peeup, i dont have a brawl code yet but i have a friend who has wifi get his code from my profile and maybe i can fight you, by the way what kind player do you consider yourself, crappy, moderate, or skilled?

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord
I'm probably a Hardcore Smasher. I love finding new techniques in Brawl. (It's very hard!! lol) I still hit L when I do an aerial thinking I can L-cancel. It's just an instinct now! But yeah, I'm not so good at Brawl as in Melee because most of the advanced tactics have been removed :(

SebastianTH

Smash Rookie
I'm competitive. I CAN'T BE VILLS >[ But I'm pretty good. :3 Smash is like a way of life for me though lol and alot of my friends as well.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
I'd say I'm a mixture between Casual Smasher and Competitive Smasher. Sometimes I want to just have plain fun (mucking around) and sometimes i want to play a really good match (no mucking around, a serious match). Full credit to kirbykid for making this: Seriously really good stuff. I'm looking forward to more of your posts now!

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
I'm competitive. I play to win and I'm always looking to improve my game. Never been to a tourney though. Occasionally I'll dip into the items and play other characters aside from my main, but for the most part I take my matches seriously and usually with my main or any of my seconds.

King GeGeGe

Smash Rookie
I'm causal bordering competitive, in so much that I only play to have fun, but I do want to be come better. I'm also hardcore.
I have two friends who are decidedly competitive, and it gets very awkward when they get irate at mistakes of 'unbalanced stages' etc. etc. etc. It's much better to be casual, especially when you're not as good as your friends :p
oh the old days of smash 64 they were good, when not as much anger rode on who won or lost, or who's fault, or who spams final cutter or pk thunder... good times

Lucario2k8

Smash Cadet
somewhere far away think its called hyrule
im competive as i have been with smash since the start, but i find a serious lack of competion between my friends and thats why i cant wait for brawl to be released in europe (27th june) for competive matches online. ive played in two tournemets and won the first and came third in the second one, with wi-fi i think there will be a great deal more competivness and hopefully they do tournements,good thread by the way.

Top Bottom