• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What type of DLC would you want?

What type of DLC would you want?

• Total voters

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm going to take cues from Fire Emblem Awakening, another 3DS game that has quite simply the best DLC I've ever played.

Some new items.

Some new maps.

Some new events with short, ridiculously silly stories that unlock new characters when you beat them.

IonProductionz

Smash Cadet
Smash Run levels would be epic and new stages wouldn't hurt. Not a fan of DLC characters, but I don't mind DLC Alt Costumes. If they can somehow incorporate new characters as ALT's, i'd be on board with that.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I'm going to take cues from Fire Emblem Awakening, another 3DS game that has quite simply the best DLC I've ever played.

Some new items.

Some new maps.

Some new events with short, ridiculously silly stories that unlock new characters when you beat them.
What do you mean by new maps?

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
I would love DLC Stages--but, maybe so people don't complain about missing out on a new stage, it could be more retro stages from previous Smash Bros games. I think alt outfits/costumes for characters would be neat, too.

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
i don't really want character dlc because i feel like all the characters will be in the game i would like to see alt costumes and stages and items but that would probably be it

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I don't think you should be able to purchase characters unless they're free, as they'd unbalance the game a bit for those who don't have them. Stages, Smash Run, etc. are fine though.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Characters (but make them unlockable to people without paying, as that's a big deal. Even if the requirements are kinda crazy)
Music (both versions)
Stages (Depending on the type, available without paying if you put in effort)
Alt Costumes
Menu/stage/special mode skins
New modes

Characters can be whatever, and should work when playing with people without the DLC (maybe make it so anyone can use them if in a game with the owner, like a lot of PC game DLC does for missions)
Music can be player-local.
Stages could include things like past stage packs, or Battlefield Mode/whatever for existing stages, etc.
Costumes are purely cosmetic, so those need not be sharable.

Basically, if it's cosmetic/for fun, it's fine, but make it sharable when linked. If it's able to affect balance, like characters, make it available through dedication and include the pay method as a shortcut.

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
I don't think you should be able to purchase characters unless they're free, as they'd unbalance the game a bit for those who don't have them. Stages, Smash Run, etc. are fine though.

yeah because if it was not free and you go online and you see that character that was dlc that cost like 10 or 5 dollars you would not know what he does and you would lose

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
The first three got my votes.
Having additional characters can definitely extended the replay value of the game, along with new stages to battle on.
I'm all for DLC for as long as I'm not required to pay an absurd amount of money for a single item. :'-)
At the very least, I would really be content with DLC costumes/alternate colors.

RCyclone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rcyclone
3DS FC
0490-7017-9432
Switch FC
3291-1218-6623
I'd be happy with more Stages, Smash Run Levels, and Characters!

DLC would be great!

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Characters, characters, characters.

No more surprises, if they do DLC it should be for the highly requested. Fan favorites. Throw Chom into it somehow, give us Geno, put Isaac in, add K. Rool (provided they don't show up in the end!). Or maybe they should have polls and have people vote on it.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Think an easy first-order would be map packs of past stages from the other three games.
And I would not mind paying to be able to play Board The Platforms again.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Characters should prioritize over all other DLC, there's going to be a few characters that could sell the game to a few people that aren't going to make it into the game and/or create massive hype to sell the DLC in mass that aren't gonna be in the game at first, such as Geno (we would have known about a deal with Square by now), Snake (again, we would have known about him by now), and some of the most popular missing first party veterans (Roy and Lucas if they don't make it), all of which would could be easily put into the game after release via DLC.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Characters should prioritize over all other DLC, there's going to be a few characters that could sell the game to a few people that aren't going to make it into the game and/or create massive hype to sell the DLC in mass that aren't gonna be in the game at first, such as Geno (we would have known about a deal with Square by now), Snake (again, we would have known about him by now), and some of the most popular missing first party veterans (Roy and Lucas if they don't make it), all of which would could be easily put into the game after release via DLC.
We'd have gotten Geno (and Mario RPG 2) a long time ago if Squeenix and Nintendo cared about money. (end of rant)
But really, the biggest issue with characters as paid DLC, is that unless there's a way to get them without it, or at LEAST share access to them when playing multiplayer (only an issue on the DS), there will be unquenchable (and possibly correct) cries of Pay To Win.

Extra music.
I'm probably the only one.

Though some extra stages sound nice too.
Not the only one! I'd be down for some tunes.

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
Characters, characters, characters.

No more surprises, if they do DLC it should be for the highly requested. Fan favorites. Throw Chom into it somehow, give us Geno, put Isaac in, add K. Rool (provided they don't show up in the end!). Or maybe they should have polls and have people vote on it.

that not going to happen

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider
We'd have gotten Geno (and Mario RPG 2) a long time ago if Squeenix and Nintendo cared about money. (end of rant)
But really, the biggest issue with characters as paid DLC, is that unless there's a way to get them without it, or at LEAST share access to them when playing multiplayer (only an issue on the DS), there will be unquenchable (and possibly correct) cries of Pay To Win.
Why I don't want it in. There'd be too many people complaining about how it's unfair that people are playing as a character they don't have money to buy.

Not the only one! I'd be down for some tunes.
Really? Everyone I know hates the very idea..

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
IMO, characters should NOT be DLC. It'd just almost ruin smash, especially 'With Anyone' online play.

Last edited:

simpleglitch

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-8424-2856
I would be happy with just alt costumes and bonus music. Though I wouldn't complain at all if veterans that didn't make it in sm4sh were released as DLC (though I'm not completely sold on the idea).

Last edited:

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Why I don't want it in. There'd be too many people complaining about how it's unfair that people are playing as a character they don't have money to buy.
It seems so obvious now, but I never considered downloadable characters to essentially, potentially be "PAY2WIN."

So instead.. It would be interesting to see updated versions of Smash released. Like Ultimate MvC3 or all the iterations of Street Fighter IV. Highly unlikely though.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Usually character DLC isn't worth it(looking at you, Jill Valentine, Zatanna and Lobo), but I'll vote for it along with Smash Run levels.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman

Really? Everyone I know hates the very idea..
That's a good point, when I think about character DLC, I'm usually thinking about getting more characters into the game as opposed to adding more gameplay options for some reason, you have a valid point. If it was free DLC however, I can't think of any real problems with adding more characters though.

Also, music would be a great idea, I'd probably buy some until I feel safe hacking my 3DS and Wii U (whenever that becomes possible) to change the music myself.

Raijinken

Smash Master
IMO, characters should NOT be DLC. It'd just almost ruin smash, especially 'With Anyone' online play.
I'd be alright with "shortcut" DLC that just lets you unlock them without gameplay effort, but if the only way to use them is to pay, there would probably be revolts.

JUr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JorgeUr
3DS FC
4957-3388-8097
None at all...

DLC Characters are unfair to people who don't have money or resources (credit card for example)
Stages... Nah, I would prefer a stage creator/editor in the game

(Maybe music or alternate costumes... Maybe)

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
If it is ONLY accessible offline, it can be DLC. Characters, Stages, and other stuff like that should not be DLC.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
I'd rather have patches for balance purposes.

As far as DLC goes, characters or modes.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I want it all. Everything to add more to the experience.

But Sakurai said no DLC is planned because he wants to make Smash 4 Complete as possible.

On a side note, if this is his wish, then why did he cut the character Lucina was replaced with? Surely if he felt the game wasn't complete then he'd delay it.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't really want DLC, but if there is DLC for smash, I would stages and one or two new characters.

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
I mainly want characters and stages. It doesn't have to be new characters, but it could be characters who got left out from past Smash games (Young Link, Pichu, Roy, and of course Mewtwo if he doesn't make the roster). I think Nintendo would be pretty dumb not to have DLC. They would make so much money, and while I'd prefer to not pay for DLC. Think about how much they would make by charging 5 bucks for a character and a new stage.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I just want DLC. I don't care what type. Anything that will add more playability to the game after its been out a while since then there will be that 'new' factor again.

- Characters: Particularly any that got cut due to time or just old veterans who hadn't returned.
- Alternate Costumes: Costumes are always fun.
- Stages: Same as above, possibly trying to re-add as many previous stages as possible.
- Music: Music is always fun.

I honestly don't care about the argument about characters being 'unfair' for any reason. Its not like everyone will know everything about every single character on the roster anyway. This is Sakurai though, chances are the DLC would be Cheap or Free.

However, I do think the best possible way of doing this may be to do it how Street Fighter IV has. Create a New Batch of Characters and Stages and then make it an Expansion so only people with said Expansion can play together online with the new characters unless they purposely choose the original option for Online.

But Sakurai said no DLC is planned because he wants to make Smash 4 Complete as possible.

On a side note, if this is his wish, then why did he cut the character Lucina was replaced with? Surely if he felt the game wasn't complete then he'd delay it.
Technically what Sakurai said was they weren't considering DLC until after the game was finished, meaning that they want to cram everything in that they can and then consider their DLC options.

Lucina didn't replace anyone, she was simply added because Sakurai decided he'd rather have her be her own Character instead of an Alternate Costume for Marth.

That said, its not like other Smash Bros. games didn't have cut characters, such as those in Brawl.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I still think character DLC isn't a good idea. Unless it's free, then I guess it'd be ok, but paying for characters just isn't right.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I still think character DLC isn't a good idea. Unless it's free, then I guess it'd be ok, but paying for characters just isn't right.
Why not though, you essentially pay for characters when you buy the main game anyway and people work to create the extra characters that are to be offered as DLC and they deserve to be paid, do they not?

Tangamanga

Scrublord
NNID
Tangamanga
3DS FC
1650-3266-1148
I don't really like DLC, It's a pain trying to gather money for the main game haha, plus amiibos ._.

But, if it's cosmetic stuff/music/etc., things that don't really affect gameplay, I'm ok with that :D

Top Bottom