• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U What TV to use?

Sejä

Smash Rookie
Hi, first of, if there is already a thread about this topic then I'm sorry, otherwise here is my problem:

In previous smash games people use these "old TV's" (I'm sorry I don't know how to call them...) rather than new LCD TV or something else cause of less lagg.

How is it with Smash 4? Is it better to use "old" or "new" TV's for competitive play?

First of, the WiiU only supports HDMI Output so you have to buy some sort of transistor HDMI to SCART or Component.
Second, the resolution is 16:9 and old TV's don't support that.

Any advise?

Thanks

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hi, first of, if there is already a thread about this topic then I'm sorry, otherwise here is my problem:

In previous smash games people use these "old TV's" (I'm sorry I don't know how to call them...) rather than new LCD TV or something else cause of less lagg.

How is it with Smash 4? Is it better to use "old" or "new" TV's for competitive play?

First of, the WiiU only supports HDMI Output so you have to buy some sort of transistor HDMI to SCART or Component.
Second, the resolution is 16:9 and old TV's don't support that.

Any advise?

Thanks
As lex luther would say

WROOOOONG

You can use the old cables for old tvs if you want (the wiis cables can connect to the wii u back port i done it)

But hd tvs are more recomended due to 8 player mode its easier to keep track on the bigger and wider tvs

Sejä

Smash Rookie
Oh wow I suck lol didn't notice that.... thought it was HDMI only... well thanks for that haha :D

Yes it's basically for 1v1 or 2v2 only.

So also for Smash 4 old TV's are preferred?

Khao

Smash Lord
Just use a new one. Unless the TV is really bad or your settings are off (like, if it has a "game" mode and you're not using it) you'll get no lag at all.

Last edited:

Shadowfury333

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowfury333
3DS FC
3497-0544-5961
Asus monitors are also a good bet. They have HDMI inputs and are pretty much lagless (maybe 2ms or so, but anything below 16ms is fine)

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
I use a pretty decent HDTV. I get no noticeable lag, other than what comes from the adapter.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
http://www.displaylag.com/ is a really helpful database.

I have the Asus MX279H, and it's almost definitely the best monitor for fighting games out there. Everyone who has played on it agrees.

ryanator008

Smash Cadet
I've only ever noticed lag on some LG TVs. Other than that, it's not even noticeable. Old TVs will have massive amounts of the picture cut-off. You need a 1080p TV to get the full picture.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I have a 40 inch Sharp Aquos that I play Sm4sh on. This LCD TV is notable because it has imperceptible input lag in Game Mode. Besides, it provide a gorgeous picture so all my games including Mario Kart 8 look beautiful on it.

My Wii U is connected to this set via HDMI through my Sony 5.1 surround sound system. If there's a shortcoming to the Wii U is that it doesn't sound as good through my system as even my older Xbox 360 does. The sound is crisp but I don't get that true surround sound feel which is a little disappointing.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
just a heads up on "game mode" it will vary tv to tv. I have an hd tv with "game mode" and it still has 100ms of delay(1/10th of a second) and with gaming mode off its a whopping 1/5th of a second(2/10ths)! so dont take gaming ode as a free this tv is good for gaming sign.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
If you don't care about size, I'd recommend an ASUS monitor. I use one with Smash Wii U at 1080p at max screen size. No input lag whatsoever, and looks very sharp.

Earthboundy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Earthboundy
3DS FC
0173-1290-2436
I use an the ASUS VG24GQE. No input lag, and it does have a game mode. I love it.

Top Bottom