• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What "tools" are necessary in a character for you?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
As in, what kind of move (projectiles? spikes? multi-hitting moves? etc) and general characteristics (heavy, light, fast, small, etc)?

Personally, I love command grabs in traditional fighting games and I would like to say I find them necessary, except the command grabs in Smash don't feel as satisfying as in traditional fighting games, which makes them less exciting to use. When Ness' grab feels more satisfying to land than Bowser and Ganondorf's command grabs, you know something isn't right.

In Smash in specific, the more I play Meta Knight, the more I realize how important is for a character to have at least one projectile to me. The other characters I enjoy playing all have projectiles, so when I pick Meta Knight, he feels rather limited to me. Same goes to Sonic and Donkey Kong.

As for general characteristics, I like my characters being heavy and slow/medium speed; Heavy because I find it a positive characteristic in general, even if it means being easily comboed and slow/medium speed because it makes the character easy to control (I can't control Sonic and C. Falcon properly to save my life)... But at the same time, I enjoy playing the cute small characters and they are usually light and fast, so... whatever. lol

What about you?

Last edited:

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
For me it's more about general playstyle than it is specific moves. I would say a projectile is necessary, but I enjoy Roy way too much despite his lack of one.
In order for me to be good at a character, they have to be well suited for a rush down style, because that's how my mindset is regardless of who I'm playing. With that in mind, I would say a fast or at least manageable dash speed is one of the most important things for me. Fast fall speed helps a lot, too. I also like a good jab and fast tilts to hit my opponent with once I get into their space. My mains and most of my secondaries have this in common... except for :4robinm: who I'm honestly god-awful with and just play out of series loyalty.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Looking at my mains, most of them have a powerful B attack. Like Shulk's Backslash, PM Wario's Shoulder Bash, and Flacons Falcon Punch. I may also like their forward smash attacks as well but that may just be me

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
For me, it is all about finding a character with the tools to compliment my playstyle. I don't have the reflexes I used to, and prefer to have a few moves string that really count than needing to remember large strings of combos. I picked Ike because of this and his reach allowing me a little extra breathing room to maneuver compared to other bruisers.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
...for me it's the character.
Not the move-set.

I have pretty much never in any fighting game picked a main based on the move-set, but how much i like the character.
...and much to my frustration, i've always kept playing said characters, even if they were trash-tiers. OTL

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
...for me it's the character.
Not the move-set.

I have pretty much never in any fighting game picked a main based on the move-set, but how much i like the character.
...and much to my frustration, i've always kept playing said characters, even if they were trash-tiers. OTL
Both things are important to me. I need to love the character and their play style. ^_^

Any time I'm playing as a character without a projectile, the thought usually crosses my mind that I wish I had one. So, projectiles are important for me; I falter as characters like Captain Falcon.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Really, I just pick a character and see if I like playing as them. I will go with any playstyle as long as I can use it efficiently.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I end up picking characters based on personal preference and whether or not I like how they look, act, and what theme they have. Sadly, this often has me picking mediocre or frequently trash characters (Aeon Calcos in SCV, Charizard pre-buffs in Smash 4 (now he's a beast and it makes me smile), etc.)

Having at least one projectile usually helps.

Any character with higher mobility, or even flying capacity, are ones I generally like. Like Firebrand from MvC3

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Liking the character itself plays a big part. It falls mostly on the character's personality or how the moves flow for me. Having at least one projectile helps a lot.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
I end up picking characters based on personal preference and whether or not I like how they look, act, and what theme they have. Sadly, this often has me picking mediocre or frequently trash characters (Aeon Calcos in SCV...)...
You.
I like you.
Excellent taste.

Morbi

Scavenger
I usually play zoning characters in other fighting games, so a great projectile is somewhat important to my play-style. Not necessary though. A spike on the other hand, without a spike, Smash is not Smash.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
I hate playing as characters that lack a strong finisher and/or projectile, which is why I love playing as Toon Link and Lucas.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I just go for who I like :4wiifit::4jigglypuff::4zelda::4palutena::4robinf::4rob::4mewtwo:
All but Jiggly have good projectiles, so I guess those are things I need

Satoros0

Smash Rookie
Look and feel are the two biggest things for me. I don't find playstyle to be a real issue, as I have switched back and forth between polar opposites (Samus vs Captain Falcon).

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I just have to like the character enough to play them. I'd main Mario and Jigglypuff till the end of time, through bull**** of any caliber, just because I like the characters so much. Falco, on the other hand, I picked up because I liked his moveset a lot. I don't have a particular affinity for his character. Peppy is my favorite Star Fox member.

Last edited:
NNID
Majorasmask66
Well if there are things I tend to lean towards in fighting games it tends to be the slow but powerful type character.

Top Bottom