• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what things are most important with the ics

sonicPearltsl25

Smash Journeyman
i know a lot of, if not all, of their game consists of chaingrabs and desyncs...but what things should i be taking on first and how should i go about doing them....im in the midst of reading the stickied guide...but i just wanted to get some opinions also on what the most important things are to learn and what should be learned first

pchoo

Smash Cadet
-Basic Tech Skill
->Teching
->DI
->Wavedash, standing and out of shield
--->to smash
--->to jab-grab
--->to desynch
--->short hop/arial(bair or nair most likely)
->Short Hop
->Shffle (nairs? b-airs can be auto-canceled... i think. Also note this isn't all that important for the IC's, as Phen pointed out - it just fits the category)

-Grabs
->Chaingrabs:
--->Dthrow-(SH)dair & targets.
--->Dthrow-dsmash & targets.
->Combos
--->Headbutt->Blizzard->Chaingrab/smash
--->Dthrow->upsmash
--->Uthrow->upsmash (Fast fallers at low percents on flat areas)
--->Dthrow->nair
--->(any)throw->F-smash(should hit them before they get thrown)

-Desynch
->Roll/spot dodge/grab
->Dashdance/pivot
--->to smash
--->to ice block chaser
--->to blizzard->grab
--->to iceblocks & nanapult

-Iceblock tricks
->Iceblock chaser (previously mentioned)
->dash->jump->blocks approach
->desynched block spam
->jump->edge-canceled blocks (search "osaca" this move led to the 'coining' of the very little known term o_O)
->WD back->edge-canceled blocks

Pretty much this is listed loosely from most important to least important.

I can't dashdance/pivot desynch (they're two similar but different things) and am still trying to figure out how a lot of these things that I can do fit into a game... so yeah. If anyone could explain when/how to USE these moves that'd be cool... seems like a lot of the time people will tell you what to do, but never how or when to do it :S (and no one I know plays IC's :'( ).

PS. if you need to know how to do any of the above button-combinations wise, ask... then take it to training mode or versus mode with an empty controller and do it until you get sick of it... and repeat daily until you don't mess up.

LuCKy

Smash Master
-Basic Tech Skill
->Short Hop
->Shffle (nairs? back airs can be auto-canceled... i think)
->Teching
->DI

-Wavedash, standing and out of shield
->to smash
->to jab-grab
->to desynch

-Chaingrabs:
->Dthrow-(SH)dair & targets.
->Dthrow-dsmash & targets.

-Desynch
->Roll/spot dodge/grab
->Dashdance/pivot
--->to smash
--->to ice block chaser
--->to blizzard->grab
--->to iceblocks & nanapult

-Iceblock tricks
->Iceblock chaser (previously mentioned)
->dash->jump->blocks approach
->desynched block spam
->jump->edge-canceled blocks (search "osaca" this move led to the 'coining' of the very little known term o_O)
->WD back->edge-canceled blocks

Pretty much this is listed from relatively most important to least important.

I can't dashdance/pivot desynch (they're two similar but different things) and am still trying to figure out how a lot of these things that I can do fit into a game... so yeah. If anyone explain when/how to USE these moves that'd be cool... seems like a lot of the time people will tell you what to do, but never how or when to do it :S (and no one I know plays IC's :'( ).

dont think i could have said it better my self but im trying really hard to main my ic's so im pretty comfortble with them and the main thing i worry about is the chain grab (d throw shop dair) becaus i dont wanna mess hat up in a tourney when i really need it to come through and just throw with out the dair or something but pchoo's reply was pretty much what you should try out:)

cemo

white walker
Why on earth would you learn to shffl before you learn to wavedash?
With other characters, sure, but wavedashing is way more important.

pchoo

Smash Cadet
lol you're right. Its just that it fit so well under "Basic Tech Skill"... and teching/DI/Wavedash are very important :S... I'll switch them around I guess, but its still not that important for the IC's. *shrug*

sonicPearltsl25

Smash Journeyman
thanks a bunch pchoo this will definatly help me i can do most of these things i just need to learn the desyncs and a few of the gabs and ice block stuff....but thanks again

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
You're going about it all wrong. Most of their game is not based on ice blocks, grabs, desynchs, infinites, etc. All the new upcoming players see these being done in a some videos and think "omg, a grab equals a stock so I'm gonna devote all my time practicing grab combos and getting the infinite down and then I can own too!" True, grabbing is the most damaging opening for the IC's, but it's not all about getting the grab. And when it is, you have to figure out how to create openings. Basic ground work (dashing, dancing, wd'ing most importantly) are the key to creating such openings, and by far the most important part in learning to zone the field with them. Not just for grabbing, but for the jabs, smashes, and everything else really. I like pchoo's list, it's pretty solid and right on for the most part. I also like what he said at the end about the order in which to get that stuff down. I learned the same way, and I'd say it's pretty effective. It can never be repeated enough though, that your basic foot work is the key to a successful progression of the IC's metagame, and is really what all your objectives should be based on...

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Yeah I can do pretty much everything listed there but my ICs still aren't very good. I can do all the desynchs and wobble perfectly. I went to Innsomnia last weekend and wobbled a lot of people but I didn't make it out of pools because my ICs got separated too easily and I had trouble keeping Nana from getting gimped.

You can desynch from pivot two ways. You can have Popo do an attack on the pivot and then instruct Nana to do whatever. Or you can immediately press down after the pivot and you should be able to blizzard, ice block, or C-stick smash with Nana. Other desynchs won't really work because they'll just dash attack.

mathis4dorkz

Smash Cadet
JABS!!!

they are your friend. espically if you like to use D-Air. an L-cancelled Jab after a Dair often leads to a grab or whatever else you want. i see chu dat do it all the time.

they are beautiful. its hard to get in a habit of only pressing it once. i accidentaly press it a couple more times and i get that double down+upswing thing they do. but anyway

a single jab stuns a character just enough to do whatever you want!!! just get your timing down and they will help you a lot

oh yeah. they also stun a character if they fail to tech and land laying down. it makes them get up without a roll or attack.

Top Bottom