• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What the point of down B

El_Komosutro

Smash Journeyman
when i'm running away like a little girl and i'm about to be cornered, i like to down b backwards... good surprise recovery against certain edgeguards (but don't be surprised if you fail to grab the edge sometimes)... it's also used as some impractical circumstancial edgeguard... I'm trying to apply down b in battle but it's lag barely gives me enought time to f-tilt my opponent... known facts are 1 you have two DI in the move (one at invis and the other when you reappear) 2 you face the opposite way you move when you do the attack part (holding down b) up and down will just change the way you are currently facing plus no second DI 3 not holding down b will have you face the same direction reguardless of how you move (no attack) 4 less lag if you are on the ground because aerial lag makes you free fall and bounce on landing 5 second half of DI (reappearing part) seems to give you some slide properties when landing with it at an angle 6 with very few invincibility frames, you'll most likely get hit out of it
Laterz

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
Gotta go with Firestorm on this one. Although, throwing it around on occasion can keep opponents on their toes. DR also seems to fit this category as well

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
It's basically used for mindgames, but if you get the technique down then you really shouldn't have a problem using it as a surprise dodge when they least expect it.

boom-man97

Smash Journeyman
the one thing i feel its good for is makeing you feel like a bad@$$ if you pull it off
its somethines good if you can predict your enemy and pop up behind them with a strike but besides that not much else

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
well Valtiel already posted the vid that I learned it from, but yea, I use the dimensional cape for edge stalling and stuff

sometimes I use it as an attack, very rarely, and it is a pretty good attack, you just do NOT want to miss with it

KiteDXX

Smash Apprentice
I use it for edgehogging, if anywhere.

Then again, edgehogging is nearly useless on Meta Knight, who has bigger and better things to work with. :/

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Teleport behind them then use Dsmash. I do more than that but I'll post it later since i dont got time.

Polish Rifle

Smash Cadet
I like to use it when I'm falling from the sky and I know my opponent want to up-smash/u-tilt/uair me again. I just go into the cape, press down, and appear below them or hit them with the attack.

ckm

Smash Journeyman
I like to use it when my opponent is trying to juggle me. The trick is to not drop straight down on them because the animation is so slow (and you are vulnerable during it), and so if you go straight at them you will just get hit... but if you come at them at an angle with the attack, and you get your distance right, it can be really effective. Just keep switching it up or your opponent will get wise to your trickery.

Top Bottom