• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What the flower, buds, and leaves on the Pikmin are...REVEALED!

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Well, not revealed, but I'm certain I know how it will function. You see, in the Pikmin games, the longer a Pikmin is in the ground, a bud will start to grow on it's head. After being a bud for a while, they turn into flowers. What does this mean? Hold Pik Pluck longer and the Pikmins leaf will start to change into a bud, then a flower. Another Olimar strategy element, Pik quick, or strong?

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
You might be onto something.

None of them have buds or flowers, only leaves, and we know they must have been plucked relatively fast.

Night Avenger

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... You could be right, and that would be awesome. I think Olimar and PKMN Trainer are the two characters who need the most strategy on this game... And that just PWNS.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Well it is possible, but why would it be worth to wait?

I much rather spam 100 that will die super fast but keep my foe at his toes than 20 that will put up a fight but leave my opponent free to pound me.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
Well, if you had 5 and you had just killed your opponent, you could pull a strong one out of the ground instead of a weak one.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Well, if your foe has just been KOed, or you're camping, it could be pretty useful. I think the flower Pikmin will be considerably stronger.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
All Pikmin will come out of the ground with leaves, and over time will change into buds and flowers. That's not how it worked in the game, but you can't leave a Pikmin in the ground in Smash, you can tell from the picture that has Olimar walking and the six are in line behind him. (not the Down-B picture).

However, I am curious if the leaf/bud/flower is just aesthetics or if it actually affects the Pikmin in trajectory and stuff? That's the real question.

Jayster

Smash Rookie
In my opinion its the Pikmins health. We all know the Pikmin can't take too much of a beating, and we can't be expected to keep track of people whacking the things.

Leaf gets hit twice > Bud
Bud gets hit twice > Flower
Flower gets hit twice > Ghost
This is just an average, different Pikmin can take different damage/ things after all

Obviously this is only me guessing...but yeah, I think it would be a great help.

Eagle

Smash Lord
All Pikmin will come out of the ground with leaves, and over time will change into buds and flowers. That's not how it worked in the game, but you can't leave a Pikmin in the ground in Smash, you can tell from the picture that has Olimar walking and the six are in line behind him. (not the Down-B picture).

However, I am curious if the leaf/bud/flower is just aesthetics or if it actually affects the Pikmin in trajectory and stuff? That's the real question.
I agree, I think the part on their head changes over time, look at this picture.

Notice a majority of them are buds. I don't think they'd pull all these Pikmin out for this screenshot and make them buds, I think they pulled them out and were just looking for a good position for a screenshot, and it took a little time and the Pikmin had evolved into Buds.

09MurphyM

Smash Rookie
This is an interesting theory you have. There is just 1 flaw. Won't the enemy try to attack you to keep you from doing this?

IllidR

Smash Champion
This is an interesting theory you have. There is just 1 flaw. Won't the enemy try to attack you to keep you from doing this?
Of course they would, that's why you'd rarely get a chance to get an upgraded Pikmin.

I really like this idea, charging a grab to get a powered up Pikmin seems like a great idea, you wouldn't get them too often.. I'm either for this idea or them changing over time.

Jayster said:
In my opinion its the Pikmins health. We all know the Pikmin can't take too much of a beating, and we can't be expected to keep track of people whacking the things.

Leaf gets hit twice > Bud
Bud gets hit twice > Flower
Flower gets hit twice > Ghost
This is just an average, different Pikmin can take different damage/ things after all

Obviously this is only me guessing...but yeah, I think it would be a great help.
I'm sorry, but I really don't see this being implimented. The bud and the flower are supposed to be a sign of strength and development for the Pikmin, I can't see them as signs that your Pikmin is that much closer to death. It's a nice idea but I can't see it being the method Sakurai uses to determine how the Pikmin get buds and flowers.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Yeah, Pikmin won't gain flower by getting hit. The flower is a sign of strength in the game. The most beleivable theories now are the over time and charging theory.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think youre right. It's either that, or the longer theyre out on the field, they undergo the change. Im willing to bet it's your idea.

Top Bottom