• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U What Smash Tour should have been

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Obviously none of us have played Smash Tour, but it looks extremely disappointing. To me, it really looks like a glorified 'random' button. Play as a random character and maybe pick up a couple stat changes on the way. At its core, it's really just a lot of dressing up a few randomized battles, represented by soulless Miis.

A lot of people have remarked that it has similarities to Mario Party in terms of hitting a number, moving around, and collecting whatever bonuses random fate has decided to put before you. But that's the lame part of Mario Party. The real fun is in the mini-games. Similar with Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2... the mini-games are great fun and the rolling of dice are just mechanisms to get to mini-games.

I really wish they created a series of mini-games related to the Nintendo franchises, using characters that don't get to shine as playable characters ex., Toad, Daisy, Waluigi, and company in a Mario-themed minigame, Cranky, Dixie, and the other Kongs have a DK mini-game, etc. and the bonuses you get are related to your placement in the mini-game... first place gets 2 character trophies, a stat boost, a free metal box/rabbit hood/rocket pack, whatever... and then after 5 mini-games or whatever, you face off in a battle.

Any feelings on this idea?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
What it looks like =/= actually playing it.

I suggest waiting till you can play it before complaining about it.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I wanted there to be different themed boards for each series but I knew it was a long shot.
Also, why should Miis take center stage? What if I wanted Dark Pit to run around the board, huh?
Aside from that, I think it looks fine.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I think Smash Tour looks great. The way they incorporated items (the trophies you collect on the game board) into the mode looks like it makes for a really interesting dynamic and can add a lot of variation to the matches that occur during the game. I'm excited to try it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Smash Tour looks like a fun side attraction at best to me. It really isn't that spectacular. It will be fun for parties, but I won't really be having many of those.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
It should have been Adventure Mode.

I can play hours of Smash Run by myself. I know I won't be able to do that for Smash Tour.

It will be like Mario Party. No humans = no fun.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
An Adventure mode woulda been good. Honestly, if it was a modified Smash Run with the ability to change some of the rules like time, what series of enemies would appear that you can toggle (like Mario or KI ones), more maps, and of course more enemies. Expand on the horizon with that. I'd even settle for minibosses/low-class bosses from series as a bonus, such as Twinbellows, Petey Piranha, you get the idea.

Khao

Smash Lord
This is not just moving around a board randomly until the final match. Did you miss the part where we play a bunch of Smash battles, with several fun events happening inbetween? Those all affect the outcome and your stats based on your performance.

In the end, this kinda works exactly the way you want minus the unique minigames and extra characters specific to this (which to be honst, it's kind of an unreasonable expectation for a fun side-mode).

Instead of Mario Party minigames, we get Smash battles plus the minigames that are already a part of the game. And we play as Miis rather than Nintendo characters because the playable characters play a different role.

Last edited:

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
This is not just moving around a board randomly until the final match. Did you miss the part where we play a bunch of Smash battles, with several fun events happening inbetween? Those all affect the outcome and your stats based on your performance.

In the end, this kinda works exactly the way you want minus the unique minigames and extra characters specific to this (which to be honst, it's kind of an unreasonable expectation for a fun side-mode).

Instead of Mario Party minigames, we get Smash battles plus the minigames that are already a part of the game. And we play as Miis rather than Nintendo characters because the playable characters play a different role.
I disagree with a number of your points, but thank you for being the only person who actually bother to give feedback on the idea at hand instead of going on some irrelevant rant about the mode.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
I think it looks terrible. It looks like a terrible game mode and there's not a doubt in my mind that some sort of Adventure mode would have been infinitely better. Ideally, it would be a stage based Adventure mode with at least one stage from each series represented by fighters. Then, each stage could end with a Boss battle with a boss character from whatever game is represented. Then, you could use those bosses for a Boss Rush mode. You know, fun stuff. Not like, a board game in a fighting game. :ohwell:

But, I must play it for myself to deliver a final verdict. Which is just in a couple of hours. Regardless of how good the modes are, though, there will always be a hole in the game without Adventure mode.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
After playing Smash Tour...

Boy, I sure feel I was on point with this one. This monstrosity is the worst mode in a Smash game thus far.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It wasn't so bad... just a bit boring... I only played it just to get the Pac-Land stage. Smash Run is way better than this... Smash Tour would be better suited for the 3DS and Smash Run would be better suited for the Wii U... JMO.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Hated this mode from the second I laid eyes on it. They could've copied Smash Run right over to the Wii U and it would've been a million times better than this.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
It's not even bad.
I disagree. It's an absolute mess imo. Takes all the randomness of Mario Party (Which I abhor) and multiply it while fusing it with SSB into this unholy cluster****. Not even super casual players like it. From my experience, they'd rather play the regular multiplayer.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Smash Tour is pretty terrible. It's literally a bad version of Mario Party.

If you were able to choose your character it'd be bareable, but as it is I just can't stand it. It's not even good for farming items because it takes too long.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
I'm particularly annoyed about all the challenges that force you through this miserable exercise in order to unlock a trophy or something.

EonGenesis

Smash Cadet
In my opinion I was pretty disappointed myself for this mode. I actually would rather have smash run on the Wii U version of the game and what keeps it from being even more annoying is the fact that you gotta play smash tour for the challenges when it's mostly just luck when you can even do them on the game, so you gotta keep on playing it until you actually get what the challenges want you to do.

I personally don't like it, but it's not terrible to the replay value of smash, just something a little extra that I'm not interested.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
In my opinion I was pretty disappointed myself for this mode. I actually would rather have smash run on the Wii U version of the game and what keeps it from being even more annoying is the fact that you gotta play smash tour for the challenges when it's mostly just luck when you can even do them on the game, so you gotta keep on playing it until you actually get what the challenges want you to do.

I personally don't like it, but it's not terrible to the replay value of smash, just something a little extra that I'm not interested.
Smash Tour is pretty terrible. It's literally a bad version of Mario Party.

If you were able to choose your character it'd be bareable, but as it is I just can't stand it. It's not even good for farming items because it takes too long.
I disagree. It's an absolute mess imo. Takes all the randomness of Mario Party (Which I abhor) and multiply it while fusing it with SSB into this unholy cluster****. Not even super casual players like it. From my experience, they'd rather play the regular multiplayer.
I always know that hardcore players well hate this mode

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I can understand, especially when it gets to the board game part of the mode, it's not as engaging as the battles, but it is fast-paced enough to not keep you bored though. The solution to that is bringing friends who like being strategic, and it can be pretty fun.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
I think it looks terrible. It looks like a terrible game mode and there's not a doubt in my mind that some sort of Adventure mode would have been infinitely better. Ideally, it would be a stage based Adventure mode with at least one stage from each series represented by fighters. Then, each stage could end with a Boss battle with a boss character from whatever game is represented. Then, you could use those bosses for a Boss Rush mode. You know, fun stuff. Not like, a board game in a fighting game. :ohwell:

But, I must play it for myself to deliver a final verdict. Which is just in a couple of hours. Regardless of how good the modes are, though, there will always be a hole in the game without Adventure mode.
Oh, yeah. I've played it now. It's awful. It's worse than I thought it would be. The first time I played it was with a friend and after we were done I was like, "Okay. Now we never have to play it again." Of course, I still have to in order to unlock Pac-Land. So I played it once with my friend on the medium sized map, I've played it by myself once on the small map. All I have to do now is play it on the big map, and I really don't want to. It's just not fun at all. It is the worst mode in Smash Bros. history. Second to Target Blast.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I don't like this mode. Not bad but I probably will never touch it again (Actually I have to at some point because I don't have pac land). Even if people think it will be more fun with friends, what's the point? Smash and board games don't mix. Why would you want to play an board game on smash where you can just be having fun playing smash normally.

Top Bottom