• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Makes Power Rankings Valid?

MrN829

Smash Rookie
I was doing some thinking, and I got wondering: what is the validity of power rankings?

There's probably an easy response for this, but theoretically, someone could make a power ranking that is inaccurate and have it be portrayed as real.

Any thoughts?

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I mean that's very true. Usually rankings are done by knowledgeable people in the region so they are likely to be reasonably fair, but ultimately it's bound to be subjective to a degree.

F. Stein

Smash Journeyman
Kinda makes you wonder why things like that aren't decided by using hard, objective data... especially when that data should be easily compiled during statewide events and easily shared over places like facebook.

MrN829

Smash Rookie
Kinda makes you wonder why things like that aren't decided by using hard, objective data... especially when that data should be easily compiled during statewide events and easily shared over places like facebook.
As far as the Philadelphia region goes, they use hard data and an automated tool. But in a smaller region, it could definitely be exploited to a degree.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
It's hard to decide what data to choose though. Do you place a higher value on going to more events, is it average placement, are larger tournaments weight more, and so on. And on top of that, there are people who can't compete as frequently do to travel restrictions whose rankings might be inaccurate.

So really there's not necessarily an objective way of ranking people

Top Bottom