• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What kind of pools format do you want at Apex?

What kind of pools format do you want at Apex?

• Total voters

clubbadubba

Smash Master
This topic is still important.

Theory: A Glass of Scott was really Alex Strife trying to bury this thread.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
What's the word on bracket pools now? We're 2 months out and we have about 12 full setups for 64. That number is only going to increase. Like I said before, I think 16 RR-pools of 8 where top 2 or 4 advance can be run with 16 setups. Maybe we can even do two rounds of pools.

I made a post on the "Melee it on Me" facebook page asking if Melee players cared if we got RR pools, and they said they didn't care at all.

We'll have enough setups for RR pools, and the other communities don't care if we get it, so what other reason could there be against RR pools?

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
we need to step up and make our opinion heard. Our group is much smaller than the others so there's no reason not to have RR pools

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
All we need to do is have Nintendude, chain-ace, or Sensei contact Alex Strife. All they need to do is say, "Hey, we have enough setups, and the other communities won't mind. Let's do Round Robin pools."

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
It seems like none of the three TOs have taken it upon themselves to contact Alex Strife about what the community wants. If all three insisted that we could do round robin pools and then finish bracket up to top X so it could be streamed on Saturday, we would probably get RR pools.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
It seems like none of the three TOs have taken it upon themselves to contact Alex Strife about what the community wants. If all three insisted that we could do round robin pools and then finish bracket up to top X so it could be streamed on Saturday, we would probably get RR pools.
probably, but something tells me that none of the TO's want to start a fuss for such a big tourney

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
All we need to do is have Nintendude, chain-ace, or Sensei contact Alex Strife. All they need to do is say, "Hey, we have enough setups, and the other communities won't mind. Let's do Round Robin pools."
ya'll could just contact him here. look, a way to notify him:

The way it is now, there are no pools, just a bracket seeded by Nintendude, who is also playing in the tournament. Alex, I don't mind a straight up seeded bracket, but it is unethical for the person that has the final say in the bracket to be allowed to compete.

Hey nintendude, I'll volunteer to make the pools and brackets and in return I won't play in the tournament.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
steve, the way it is now, there are pools, but they are bracket pools. which is what chain ace said - two people will advance, one into loser's, one into winner's.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Me and Nintendude have asked for Round Robin several times, but apex staff wishes to keep everything uniform =(

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
so by keeping everything uniform, we'll also have the same amount of time on stream, right? top 8 or whatever it is, at a good time of day when there will be a lot of people watching.

and all the tournaments we've had over the past year, some of those were qualifying events, of course, so people got ample "seeding points".

not to mention the staff is going to do everything in their power to hype 64 and all the entrants from around the world so that it's on equal footing with the other games, yeah?

oh and those nifty side events like na vs world crew battles or ec vs wc - those will be implemented as well to make sure everything is fair.

i'm also sure all of the staff is going to do their best to provide us with setups and televisions provided our community is lacking in that department.

you know, to keep things uniform.

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
steve, the way it is now, there are pools, but they are bracket pools. which is what chain ace said - two people will advance, one into loser's, one into winner's.
This is literally only one difference from being a single bracket: if you lose once in your "pool", you play another person that lost in your pool.

Well, just checked, it looks like if you seed everyone from highest to lowest, the single bracket and the bracket "pools" are identical.

(avg seed), each row is a pool, 64 players total
32.5 | 1 16 17 32 33 48 49 64
32.5 | 2 15 18 31 34 47 50 63
32.5 | 3 14 19 30 35 46 51 62
32.5 | 4 13 20 29 36 45 52 61
32.5 | 5 12 21 28 37 44 53 60
32.5 | 6 11 22 27 38 43 54 59
32.5 | 7 10 23 26 39 42 55 58
32.5 | 8 9 24 25 40 41 56 57

Lets look at the first pool:
<1,64> <16,49> <17,48> <32,33>
lets assume the higer seed wins.
then the first round of losers is
<64,33>, <48,49>, which is exactly what you would see in a normal seeded pool. Same with winners.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
so by keeping everything uniform, we'll also have the same amount of time on stream, right? top 8 or whatever it is, at a good time of day when there will be a lot of people watching.

and all the tournaments we've had over the past year, some of those were qualifying events, of course, so people got ample "seeding points".

not to mention the staff is going to do everything in their power to hype 64 and all the entrants from around the world so that it's on equal footing with the other games, yeah?

oh and those nifty side events like na vs world crew battles or ec vs wc - those will be implemented as well to make sure everything is fair.

i'm also sure all of the staff is going to do their best to provide us with setups and televisions provided our community is lacking in that department.

This post is so legit.

Cowsaymeow

Smash Cadet

im not really in the 64 community (I do find the matches I watch pretty fun to watch though) as I play melee, but damn you hit the nail with this. Either have full equality or do something that works for each tournament. Don't half-ass it

The Star King

Smash Hero
cobr's right - things are kept uniform. It's not like Apex has singled out one of the Smash games by restricting the number of entrants, or something like that.

Wait a minute...

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
^ not for nothing, but PM had a cap as well. however, it has been raised.

at the same time, the fact that these games were capped in the first place...

Shears

Smash Master
How about gentlemen pools?

Hyrule is banned, but players will play matches on Hyrule out of gentlemens and neither player will be disqualified because it was mutually agreed.

Using the Hyrule effect, why don't we tell Alex Stife and his fascist Apex committee that we will do whatever stupid bracket they want. Then, out of gentlemens, we do Red Robin Bottomless Fries pools. He's not going to disqualify the entire tournament. If he does, we have the entrants, we have the setups, we have the venue; lets run our own tournament and violate copyright laws and put the name "Apex" on it with our own rules. Jimmy Joe has 2 rooms in the hotel, tournament in Jimmy Joes rooms*.

*Jimmy Joe tournament subject to low tier and Hyrule only. All rules are subject to change under authority of room owner, Jimmy Joe*

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
How about gentlemen pools?

Hyrule is banned, but players will play matches on Hyrule out of gentlemens and neither player will be disqualified because it was mutually agreed.

Using the Hyrule effect, why don't we tell Alex Stife and his fascist Apex committee that we will do whatever stupid bracket they want. Then, out of gentlemens, we do Red Robin Bottomless Fries pools. He's not going to disqualify the entire tournament. If he does, we have the entrants, we have the setups, we have the venue; lets run our own tournament and violate copyright laws and put the name "Apex" on it with our own rules. Jimmy Joe has 2 rooms in the hotel, tournament in Jimmy Joes rooms*.

*Jimmy Joe tournament subject to low tier and Hyrule only. All rules are subject to change under authority of room owner, Jimmy Joe*
I'd do this, gentlemen, also a word from our Glass of Scott upon this idea.

ballin4life

Smash Hero

lol this is such a ballin argument.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
no ballin on my couch this apex and i'm single

everything is going to feel so empty and hollow and sad

Top Bottom