• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What kind of play style do you hate the most?

Syrup on da sid

Smash Rookie
My buddy plays the most annoying style, he just sits and waits for me to dash forward and then f-smashes when I get close, I am not patient enough to stoop to his level so I don't do it, and there are very many ways around it (not to mention he uses primarily marth) and I beat him most of the time.

What annoys me about this is the way he acts about it whenever he wins, acts like he is good at the game! It just gets under my skin sometimes, so my least favorite play style is the sit and wait style.

Which style do you all hate?

PhantasyStar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyebre
3DS FC
1521-4107-6959
I hate basic play styles. I'm not sure I can explain it in detail enough, but a super safe boring spacie just makes me want to wreck them.

Handorin

Smash Hero
My buddy plays the most annoying style, he just sits and waits for me to dash forward and then f-smashes when I get close, I am not patient enough to stoop to his level so I don't do it, and there are very many ways around it (not to mention he uses primarily marth) and I beat him most of the time.

What annoys me about this is the way he acts about it whenever he wins, acts like he is good at the game! It just gets under my skin sometimes, so my least favorite play style is the sit and wait style.

Which style do you all hate?
I have a friend that does this a lot, but all I do is run forward, wavedash back and punish.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Bait the fsmash by dash dancing and then wreck him. Marth's F smash is super laggy and really easy to punish.

Personally, I dislike laser heavy falcos, but usually find that if they're relying too much on lasers, their combo game/fundamentals are lacking so it's okay.

NonSequtur

Smash Cadet
I have a friend who plays like that. I just run in and if he smashes I shield then grab. If that doesn't work dash-dance does. I hate playing against him though, I must agree, because he seems to get these random smashes. Though not nearly as much as I hate playing against Jiggs. The b-air, aerial pound and f-air are all so irritating. I don't even like it when I'm winning. Same for projectile campers.

I love playing against aggressive players, because it just turns into a slugfest.

Aff

Smash Rookie
I hate basic play styles. I'm not sure I can explain it in detail enough, but a super safe boring spacie just makes me want to wreck them.
This. I'm not sure if we have different definitions of a 'basic play style', but I hate it when people (my roommates in particular) who only know how to use their c-stick and use their shield roll as their only mode of transportation. It's just boring to play against.

As for the forward smash thing: I learned to counter my roommate's Marth by baiting out his forward smash. All I did was jump, then use my double jump just as I enter his range and follow with a back-air or something.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
I hate it when a person has a certain playstyle and never adapts or changes it up during the course of friendlies. Like they only do the same approach, only recover a certain way, only try to punish with the same move, regardless of the situation at hand.

As soon as you figure it out, it just becomes them doing the same thing, you punishing it the same/similar way...it gets a little boring after a while.

D

Deleted member

The kind of playstyle that has a Marth using his F-Smash forty six times in one match.

Gravitirax

Smash Cadet
I don't hate campy playstyles, but my friend used to jump up with fox and firefox downwards. It's easy to punish and pointless.

SAUS

Smash Ace
If someone has such a simple play style that you can say what it is, I will usually beat them very easily anyway. There is no play style I dislike, just certain things which have nothing to do with how the player plays the game. For example, I dislike moves that are ultra safe (even when spaced poorly). I just feel like it lets the other player be sloppy and not be punished for it.

LiquidSalsa

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheRealLuigi64
3DS FC
4441-8394-6735
When my friend spams his side-b all match, get's one and says "Did ya see that!?, I'm getting so good with roy!"

I then show him roy is garbage by d-smashing him off the stage

Surgeon

Smash Rookie
NNID
thefreakysurgeon
Spamming is always annoying, especially when your opponent only knows one good technique with a player and gets all big-headed about how good they are.
Then you just SHFFL and chain grab them until they shut up

LiquidSalsa

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheRealLuigi64
3DS FC
4441-8394-6735
Spamming is always annoying, especially when your opponent only knows one good technique with a player and gets all big-headed about how good they are.
Then you just SHFFL and chain grab them until they shut up
I think we will get along just fine surgeon xDDD

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
I dont have a real "playstyle" I dislike as anything can be overcome, but I hate when people just give up and go all "I'm done trying **** everything dont care anymore" with their playstyle. If you're just gonna be emo about it then dont play or drop your pride and ask for advice.

Best example I got of this was some marth player I was playing online a while ago, he just gave up and started spamming tilts and walked back and forth. Whats funny is he was playing competently despite getting 2 or 3 stocked repeatedly, but he just gave up and became another player entirely. :\ So lame. I think that they probably go in the same vein of people that call you tryhard.

IndianapolisCentralGaming

Banned via Warnings
I would hate to fight someone as patience as me i've played matches that go to time vs ffers

In friendiles

Last edited:

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I really abhor playing against playstyles with no style, class, elegance, or sophistication. Especially if the counterargument for why the style is good revolves around how it is, "Fast", "Aggressive", "Flashy", or "Technical".

"Hurrr durrr I'm gonna nair because Fox's nair is good."
"Look guize I can multishine hurrr durrr."
"LOOOOL ULTRA DASH DANCING INTO ANOTHER DIMENSION INTO YOUR F-TILT. I'M SO TEKKNICAL."

Like, it's not even hard to beat. I even have an idea how it became popular. And yet the unrelenting faith of some players in scrubtastic, flashy, techy play is just something I can't understand and that frustrates me.

Last edited:

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
I hate playing people who are better than me, losing is frustrating and I wish everyone who beats me would just let me win instead to be considerate.
I even have an idea how it became popular.
Could you elaborate? Most people I think would blame mango's influence.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't that be giving you a fake win?
They're also supposed to lose in such a way that I can't tell they did it on purpose. Basically every aspect of any event should be designed to make me feel like I am the best player in the world. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason super smash bros. melee was made anyway.

They're also supposed to lose in such a way that I can't tell they did it on purpose. Basically every aspect of any event should be designed to make me feel like I am the best player in the world. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason super smash bros. melee was made anyway.
Are you joking by any chance? This is too ambiguous for me to figure out

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
i don't like playing against styles with very little movement. people that strictly standoff/camp or never back off or go to platforms. the movement is by far my favorite thing about this game, and playing a neutral game where there's basically no movement mixup just isn't fun imo.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
I hate playing people who are better than me, losing is frustrating and I wish everyone who beats me would just let me win instead to be considerate.

Could you elaborate? Most people I think would blame mango's influence.
Honestly, Mango was never as technical as Silent Wolf or Westballz. The cause is most likely rooted in an ignorance to basic mental play. Getting technical is more accessible because you can practice by yourself.

d-man2292

Smash Apprentice
NNID
d-man2292
i hate being juggled that and when ppl play corners, i'm trying to get back on the stage and marth's f-smash just tells me "nope" everytime

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
Are you joking by any chance? This is too ambiguous for me to figure out
Apparently I'm more subtle than I thought.

The cause is most likely rooted in an ignorance to basic mental play. Getting technical is more accessible because you can practice by yourself.
That's what I assumed it was. Mango though isn't necessarily super technical but he does do things that are not always the best option possible to look cool.

Top Bottom