• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What joke character would you like to see in Smash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
I was there when Sm4sh was first announced, as I assume many of you also were. And because of that, I was also there when the influx of hate came against one of the three new characters revealed at the start of Sm4sh: The Wii Fit Trainer. At first I was upset too, I'll admit, but when I thought about it, I actually thought the hate was a bit unreasonable. Smash Bros. has always had goofy, unexpected, gag/joke characters. Heck, it started with Smash 64 when they added a Jigglypuff as a character. So I personally wanted to ask: What joke character would you like to see in a new Smash Bros. game? I don't need a moveset, or reasons why they should be in (Although you can post that too if you wanted). Just give the character name, who they are, and why they would be an awesome joke character in Smash Bros.

I can post my suggestion for a joke character later.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463

Glass Joe from Punch Out as a clone of Lil'Mac, with bad/weird moves but and an excellent recovery. It could be fun.

Last edited:
3DS FC
0061-0163-0572

I would personally love to see Captain N as a joke character. He may have bombed as a 1980's cartoon character, but I would laugh at (and main) the classic teen from video game land straight to the top of whatever tier list he ended up in. Plus I also want an excuse to bring back that stupid looking 1980s sports jacket into a modern fighting game.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I highly disagree. Your sig should contain at least the baby incredible.
Yea, sadly Jack-Jack didn't make it in as a playable character in Disney Infinity, or otherwise I'd have him in my sig (it didn't help I ran out of sig room).

Curse you Syndrome, you stole J-J's spot (then again the Incredibles needed a villain rep, except it should have been the Underminer instead of Syndrome considering that he's dead and the Underminer isn't (although he could get killed off right at the beginning of the 2nd movie).

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Baby Mario and Baby Luigi. They can be the new Ice Climbers, but purposely terrible.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Baby Mario and Baby Luigi. They can be the new Ice Climbers, but purposely terrible.
I dunno, based on a combination of the Yoshi's island and Mario & Luigi handheld RPG games, I'm sure Sakurai could create a moveset that stays true to their source materials.

Selenite

Smash Cadet
It would be pretty interesting to see everyone's reaction to Adam Malkovich joining the roster.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Tetris Block. Imagine it using moves inspired from Tetris' gameplay, like changing form (just its hitbox, not as drastic as Brawl's Pokémon Trainer), summoning small blocks with the same shape as its current one to complete lines and do a powerful explosion, overlapping S-blocks under it to create a staircase as its recovery, or having a dair based of the fast drop mechanic. It could also have moves inspired from its shape mechanic, like having its Smash attacks based on projections of its current shape. Add cute eyes to its design so it will not feel like a soulless thing.

Well, at least a Tetris Block like this wouldn't be a complete joke character, actually the concept would be like Wii Fit Trainer, using a character from a series which does not rely on a plot and adapting gameplay elements to Smash Bros. even though those games have nothing to do with fighting, as well as representing an important part of Nintendo's history. Sure, Nintendo does not own Tetris (actually the company which own the franchise is... the Tetris Company :awesome:) but the Gameboy version of Tetris is the most famous version of the most famous game of all time and it helped a lot to sell the system at the time, and thus deserves a playable character. Though at least it's good that Tetris is already acknowledged in Brawl and Smash 4 with cool remixes of A and B type musics.

For a joke character for the sake of a joke character, my favourite choice would be Magikarp, arguably the best positioned character for such a role when you think about it, when taking account its huge notoriety based on the fact of being bashed for its weakness and sold by a fraud who tries to persuade the player that he made a good deal. Also, Magikarp learns exactly four moves in the Pokémon games (event moves Bubble and Hydro Pump don't count), so it Smash special moveset would be 100 % true to its source material, and its Final Smash would be a 200 base power Flail (you know, when a Pokémon uses Flail with only one HP remaining). It would be also the first fish fighter in the Smash history. Just imagine how the internet would react to its reveal or how amazing a Magikarp beating Master Core would feel.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
@ ShinyRegice ShinyRegice my favourite choice would be Magikarp
Actually, I've often thought it would be funny if Sakurai put in a Pokémon rep based on it's competitive user in the VGC/the Smogon tiers (If Sakurai even knows that Smogon exists.) Pick a funny Pokémon from the top tiers of the Pokémon games. For example, maybe put in a Sableye, or a Jumpluff, Or even a Klefki or Wobuffet or something crazy like that.

Last edited:

Nino Rybicki

Smash Cadet

I would personally love to see Captain N as a joke character. He may have bombed as a 1980's cartoon character, but I would laugh at (and main) the classic teen from video game land straight to the top of whatever tier list he ended up in. Plus I also want an excuse to bring back that stupid looking 1980s sports jacket into a modern fighting game.
I would love to see Princess Lana from the game 80s Fashion Vomit (actually, she was the girl on Captain N, and isn't technically a real video game character). Or maybe Captain N's Mother Brain.

Another hilarious idea would be Whitney's Miltank from Pokemon. It would be unbeatable!

I second Glass Joe.

I would like to see Tingle, but Nintendo said Tingle will never be playable due to Americans' hatred of him.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
I would love to see Princess Lana from the game 80s Fashion Vomit (actually, she was the girl on Captain N, and isn't technically a real video game character). Or maybe Captain N's Mother Brain.
I dunno, I think that of all the characters in the show, Captain N was probably the most memorable. If it's any consolation though, It'd be funny to see him summon his friends for something like tilts or smash attacks. Could you imagine a side smash where ugly green Megaman shoots a blast? or an up smash with ugly cartoon Pit(icus) were to shoot an arrow upward or something?

Last edited:

mistersl56

Smash Cadet
Lakitu would be funny.

Tetris piece.

Also the DS stylus as a joke item being swung around like the baseball bat.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956

KOing him would get you double the points for a regular KO. Dying to him would cause you to lose double the points. If he runs out of lives in a stock match, everyone else gets 1 free extra life. You get two.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I believe the inclusion of a certain orange-haired girl with a green-and-purple-stripped shirt and a passion for video games would be quite "amusing" to behold.

Also, Waddle Dee. HARDEST BOSS IN EXISTENCE!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Lanky from DK64 comes to mind as a good joke character. He can have over the top moves that don't have good knockback. His Up-B would have him float like he does in DK64 only his recovery is terrible.

K7Sniper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
K7Sniper
3DS FC
2595-1237-9071
Here's a list I made up.

- Glass Joe/Von Kaiser/King Hippo
- Captain N (or Simon Belmont from the Captain N games)
- Line Block
- Waddle Dee
- Tingle (I have no idea how he wasn't mentioned yet, even if he is already an assist trophy...)
- Happy Mask Salesman
- Toad
- Slippy

ValiantNorth

Matrix Speedruns
Master Hand as the Power Glove, his moves are all laggy and have difficult inputs.

You'll most likely have to input some sort of code before every move as well.

Last edited:

mistersl56

Smash Cadet
Master Hand as the Power Glove, his moves are all laggy and have difficult inputs.

Come to think of it, I think Master Hand should be a character all by himself. They might be able to make it work who knows.

TimpaniGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
TimpaniGamer
3DS FC
1203-9427-6727
Come to think of it, I think Master Hand should be a character all by himself. They might be able to make it work who knows.
In that case, why don't they just make ALL boss characters playable! (Only stamina battles, though, to keep it fair.)

Elisay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Elisay7
3DS FC
2552-2548-4286
Reggie Fils Aime.

Not a mii of him, but his own fleshed out move set.
Just imagine the possibilities.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641

Whilst we're still making Power-glove related suggestions, why not Lucas Barton from The Wizard as a character, and/or the tournament from said movie as a stage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom