• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is Zoning?

FatJackieChan

Smash Journeyman
I think it has to do with close combat, but I have absolutely no idea what it is! Could anybody explain because I have the feeling that like my other thread I made (What is Spacing (I now know what it is and I can do it...)) it will be an essential basic to get better at this game.

Smash Master
Heh, great username.

Zoning is more complicated than spacing. It involves using spacing to create a situation in which you control an advantageous part of the stage. Often, by using a safe attack, you can force your opponent to move away, allowing you access to the center of the stage. Often, it is good to have your character in the center of the stage because this way you won't die as easily. If you play a character with a projectile, it is good to keep most of the stage behind you (when you are facing your opponent), because this allows you to retreat and fire projectiles (being essentially unhittable) for a longer period of time. D3 likes to put himself between his opponent and a wall.

Zoning is essentially a tool for limiting your opponent's options by blocking off certain parts of the stage.

I hope I'm at least partially right. I don't exactly know all the smash terminology myself...

Mith_

Smash Champion
I always viewed it as "protecting" a side of the stage, or yourself for that matter. I guess it could be considered camping.

I know in Street Fighter Chun-Li can spam slow fireballs to keep the opponent away from her, and if they try to jump over the fireball, she can jump and do a kick to keep them from getting close to her, and at the same time putting them back in fireball range. So she is keeping them from her side of the stage while at the same time taking advantage of spacing and keeping herself safe.

I hope that helped zoning is really hard to describe ha ha.

Khanxay

Smash Cadet
Zoning is easy to understand if you play chess. It's simply controlling an area of the board (in Brawl, the stage). If you control a good area like say... the center and your opponent is stuck on the edge, you have more options to choose from when attacking or defending.

That's how I view it.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
Umm Zoning is when you like sort of protect a part of the stage so you dont die so easily or easier....Uhhh sort of camping?

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
^
Yeah I would say that attack is a good example because you can send them in any direction you want, it is quick and it has a sweet spot.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Marth's Fair is nice example for zoning no? :3
Could be.
Using that disjointed hit box to protect himself.

I guess Marth could SHFFL Nairs and Ftilt to beat out grounded approaches. That'll block off trying to attack Marth from the ground. If they try to jump you could Fair to beat out aerial approaches.

Of course this sounds great in theory, but I doubt it works. Mindgames ftl =[

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Zoning is easy to understand if you play chess. It's simply controlling an area of the board (in Brawl, the stage). If you control a good area like say... the center and your opponent is stuck on the edge, you have more options to choose from when attacking or defending.

That's how I view it.
This is pretty much hitting the nail on the head. It's the reason for Snake's dominance. His trap-laying style allows him to zone in places where he isn't. He is designed for controlling a great deal of space with little effort. In a fighting game, where controlling space is somewhere around 50 - 80% of the point, maybe more, having a character like Snake is very important.

Amide

Smash Lord
I hate to just post a link, but this thread talks about the importance of zoning, you should look into that, too.

FatJackieChan

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, that is useful. I do that already so it shouldn't be a problem. The chess example helped because I played only a couple of hours ago. My friend is a Toon Link player, so sometimes I start zoning and he just shoots me. The idea is that he comes to me, but if he shoots it defeats the purpose of me sitting there. I'll just get owned. So what should I do in that situation?

Smash Master
Trap him between you and the edge. He'll have to take a risk to escape that situation, and if you can predict his actions, you can punish him.

FatJackieChan

Smash Journeyman
So make an approach? Be more specific with the word trap. (It probably isn't your fault. This is my third day on the board so I am still trying to figure out terms...)

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
The idea is, make him uncomfortable. Go after him. Toon link likes to have lots of space, so get up in his face. What I think 1048576 is gettin at is if you get right up next to him, with little space between you, him, and the edge, he isn't going to like it, so he will try to get behind you. He only has a few options for doing this, which allows you to at least try to predict what he is going to do. If you get it right, then you will be able to land a few easy hits.

If you get between him and the majority of the stage, you "control" that portion of the stage. He has to do more work/expose himself to more risk to use it. Using that advantage, you can make your opponent put themselves in difficult situations. That's the whole concept of zoning, as I understand it.

Edit: I just reread your previous question. Yes, make an approach, but be smart about it. Toon link can be very difficult to go after, so although the idea is you want to get past the effective range of the bombs/arrows/boomerang, it will take some work. Just use your judgment, and go after him when the time is right. Experience will help you way more than anything I can tell you.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
It's like with diddy kong if you throw a banana up and have one at your feet. Your opponent is forced to either sit there or approach you from the air. If they just sit there use the banana in front to hit him or if they come from the air, hit them before they hit you.

Khanxay

Smash Cadet
It's like with diddy kong if you throw a banana up and have one at your feet. Your opponent is forced to either sit there or approach you from the air. If they just sit there use the banana in front to hit him or if they come from the air, hit them before they hit you.
True... assuming the opponent doesn't have a projectile or is patient. I mean, you don't always have to approach.

SCOTU said:
ZONING (and other similar topics): http://www.smashboards.com/ showthread.php?t=209471
Nice read, although I feel Stage Control and Zoning are more or less the same.

Top Bottom