• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your version of "beating the game"?

How do you think you did it?

• Total voters

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Smash isn't the kind of game that can be "beaten" in the strictest sense. Aside from getting all the obviously important things like all hidden characters and stages, how do you think is the way you've "beat the game"?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I consider I beat the game when I beat Master Foretress with a character.

D

Deleted member 269706

You cannot beat Smash, you can only grow stronger!

no1butmenotu

Smash Cadet
I meant to choose the final option, but yeah, pretty much gaining every collectible and completing every challenge. Regardless though, I'd have to agree with Rawkstar's opinion.

"You cannot beat Smash, you can only grow stronger!"

Khao

Smash Lord
Technically, I'd say "beating the game" would be simply clearing classic mode once.

But that's such an insignificant part of the game as a whole that it'd be way too much of a boring answer.

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
To me, it's all challenges and all custom moves.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
None of those, really. Unlocking every Stage, Character, Custom move, all Equipment(including Mii Hats and Outfits), and having access to every normal option(including Modes). Getting every possible thing done is what I call Conquering the game.

The "Custom move, all equipment" part did not exist in previous iterations, but otherwise, I treated them the same. Any and all Trophies are only relevant to me if they unlock a stage(like the Birdo one in Melee).

Mrkaoz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrkaoz
Defeat all events, classic mode with all characters, unlock all characters, unlock all levels.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
My definition of 100% Smash

-Unlock all charcters
-Unlock all stages
-All trophies and collectables
-All challenges completed

Squadaloo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RodRodney
I'd say beat Master Fortress, beat All-Star, and beat all Event Matches at least once. I always consider "beating a game" and "100% completion" to be two different things.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Clearly the game can't be 100%'d until you get all the milestones. I'm still around 998,000 matches from clearing Melee completely (although that still might happen before I get all the stickers in Brawl).

Seriously, though, I think 100% includes all unique collectables (Mii wear, custom moves, trophies, CDs) and challenges (hammers optional). "Any%" doesn't really make any sense, IMO. Not that 100%-ing Smash is at all necessary; I plan to do it and enjoy it, as I did twice with Melee, but I had plenty of fun with Brawl and its mods without ever getting all the trophies and stickers in Brawl.

D

Deleted member

Since the game doesn't have an inherent story mode, and the completion aspects are very dependent on a specific mode...

I'd say the full completion of Challenges is the true way of beating the newest smash, as impossible as some of them are.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I define "beating" as completing Classic, All-Star, Master Orders, and Crazy Orders once. It isn't "completed" until you have 100%...

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
I would say everything. All trophies, challenges, songs, characters, stages, custom parts, etc. Everything.

Raijinken

Smash Master
It's beaten when I have cleared every challenge. It's like beating the Elite Four, or beating the boss of a JRPG, before doing bonus dungeons or the battle tower.

Versus mode is just the endgame/etc.

JFyst

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1822-1491-9293
Whenever i become one of the top players competitively.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I feel more satisfied when I beat Classic/All-Star modes with all characters so that's what I voted for. I must have all of their trophies.

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
For this game at least"

- Unlock all Stages
- Unlock all Characters
- Beat all Event Matches
- Play every mode at least once
- Beat Master Fortress
- Fight Crazy Hand in Crazy Orders

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
-Clear All Events
-Clear Classic Mode on Hard with every character
-Clear All-Star Mode on Hard with every character
-Clear All Challenges
-Get all of the custom moves and equipment
-Get all Mii accessories
-Collect Every Trophy
-Win huge tournaments such as Apex with all 51 characters
I'm probably going to be an old man when I beat Smash 4...

Last edited:

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
For some reason, I was expecting more answers along the lines of 'beat Ken whilst playing as Marth', or the like.

Though, I think of it as 'all of the above, plus a 100% win rate in one's last 100 games in For Glory'... because that's what it'll take for me to stop playing for any length of time. That said, I might even include 'get under the challenge time in 100 man melee' sort of things as all characters, too, but I only need an excuse to play to consider a game 'incomplete'.

Hell, I unlocked everything on 5 separate memory cards in melee just because I wanted more playtime. Definitely didn't bother with collecting all the trophies more than once, though. ^^"

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
There is no "beating the game" in Smash. It's a game of infinite play.
Yeah I suppose completing every single requirement until there's absolutely nothing else to unlock makes it 100% complete, but I certainly haven't gotten that far in any Smash game. Mostly because my friend dared me to delete my Melee save and I can't be bothered to complete Brawl.

Cha Cha San

Smash Cadet
For me I'll be satisfied when I have golf flagged every event (done), gotten every cd, and gotten every special move.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Match-based, non-narrative games like this can't be beaten in that sense, imo.
Beating it is equivalent to beating classic mode once, just like beating subspace emmisary in brawl equates to beating it, and beating Adventure (and arguably classic as well) does the same for Melee.

Its not COMPLETING the game, far from it, but its the closest thing to a concrete beating we get.

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
Collect all the trophies. Generally I would assume in order to get them all, you'd have to do all the single player content. But yeah, collect all the trophies. Music and etc is sort of irrelevant, because I figure I'd already have all the songs if I managed to get all the trophies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Completing all Challenges, since doing so requires you to achieve the other listed tasks in the OP.

Kerokuu Kappa

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3539-8838-3028
Completing all the challenges and earning all the trophies.
And completing all the events' rewards, too. (Co-op's Events included.)

Top Bottom