• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your Short Hop method with Sheik?

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
I'm a new Sheik main (New Melee Player) and I've been having trouble landing the Short Hop with her. I'm still working on it, but I would just like to know how you guys nail the Short Hop in the ~3 frame window. I use X to jump but is Up on the joystick better? I've heard some things like using your nail or holding the controller loosely. What is your method?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Just try to release the jump button as quickly as possible. Success and consistency will come with practice and time. In melee you actually need to release jump before last frame of jumpsquat, so you can only hold jump for 2 frames if you want to short hop.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
This is one of those things where you just have to be fast. Using some unique trick to make it easier will likely just get in the way of your gameplay. You'll have to practice short-hopping with one of the 3-frame-jumpsquat characters to improve your muscle memory and speed/reflexes enough to get it.

The nice side is that it'll make you an expert at short-hopping.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Here is how I do it:
Have your thumb resting loosly on the X button.
Now as quickly as you can, slide if off the botton to the right trying to hit the edge of the round portion of the controller (I hope that makes sense).
To practice this, I set the goal to do 30 in a row without messing up (starting count over on full jumps). Once you reach that goal it will become second nature.
Then you can start practicing SHFFLs etc.
Good luck

straydoggywog

Smash Cadet
I only ever use the joystick for SHnairing out of shield. That for some reason makes it easier for me. Other than that, just practice.

And this may sound odd, don't even think about it when you play matches. Instead of thinking "Gotaa short hop here to fair" Just think "Gotta Fair." It sounds odd, but the less focused you are on doing an actual short hop the less likely you are to hold the button for to long. That might just be a quirk I have though.

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
Thanks for all the help guys, I've started to get it down by moving my finger away from the X button after the input like Trip suggested.

Scrandino

Smash Rookie
Never use the control stick to jump because you need it to fast fall. I find that sliding the finger off the very edge/bottom of the "X" button to be the best way for me and my controller to short hop.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
On the note of SH rising Nair OoS, here are two methods (Many people have trouble moving the thumb quickly from X to A and with good reason).

Method #1.
While in the air, Z actually works like A, meaning if youe holding forward and press Z in the air you will do a Fair. You can have your index finger resting on Z while shielding and press it asap after SH OoS.

Method #2.
So what alot of newcomers don't know, is that you can use the C-Stick for many things other that Aerials and Smash Attacks*. One of those things is Full Jumping or Short Hopping Out of Shield, by flicking it Up. Try it!
By flicking the C-Stick up, moving your thumb further off the stick and on to the A button in one motion secures a tight Rising Nair OoS for me.

*another use of the C-Stick is to use it for letting go of the ledge without ever fast falling or moving away from the ledge, by simply flicking it "away" from the ledge.

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
On the note of SH rising Nair OoS, here are two methods (Many people have trouble moving the thumb quickly from X to A and with good reason).

Method #1.
While in the air, Z actually works like A, meaning if youe holding forward and press Z in the air you will do a Fair. You can have your index finger resting on Z while shielding and press it asap after SH OoS.

Method #2.
So what alot of newcomers don't know, is that you can use the C-Stick for many things other that Aerials and Smash Attacks*. One of those things is Full Jumping or Short Hopping Out of Shield, by flicking it Up. Try it!
By flicking the C-Stick up, moving your thumb further off the stick and on to the A button in one motion secures a tight Rising Nair OoS for me.

*another use of the C-Stick is to use it for letting go of the ledge without ever fast falling or moving away from the ledge, by simply flicking it "away" from the ledge.
I never thought of implementing Z into my play! Most characters I play have tethers so it didn't even cross my mind. Thanks for the OoS options, I'm really enjoying playing Sheik!

SsbGum

Smash Cadet
I am an advocate of the Z button method. I only just started implenting it, but the input is so much closer. Especially for oos options :D Thanks

GBR

Smash Rookie
Oh this are good methods gonna try now! Maybe is just me but is so hard to be new at this game. Btw I've been doing the shot hop just by sliding the thumb down instead of right, so that if I want to also hit A I just have to do a little movement to the left and barely press the button. But Z sounds like a more solid way to it.

Stephen Arsenault

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2681-0661-6072
I know the thread is a bit old but it is pretty helpful for me to see other options. My issue is getting the Nair Oos. By using 'Y' to jump then sliding down to 'A' for my arial, I usually get a full hop Nair Oos or sometimes a jump canceled grab (pressing jump to long/hard or pressing A too early). I am trying out these other methods but still haven't gotten it consistent. I wonder if anyone else has had this similar problem and what they specifically used to avoid these particular outcomes.

Cup Noodles

Smash Cadet
I basically just flick the X button as quickly as I can and it works. I generally hit R after jumping for WDing or WLanding

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I know the thread is a bit old but it is pretty helpful for me to see other options. My issue is getting the Nair Oos. By using 'Y' to jump then sliding down to 'A' for my arial, I usually get a full hop Nair Oos or sometimes a jump canceled grab (pressing jump to long/hard or pressing A too early). I am trying out these other methods but still haven't gotten it consistent. I wonder if anyone else has had this similar problem and what they specifically used to avoid these particular outcomes.
No problem. Not sure about the rules, but I think it's better to post in here than creating a new thread.

I will encourgae you to try the second method. This is my method of choise.
The only trouble I have with using the Cstick for jumping is that I occasionally hit B in stead of A. I am sure it can be polished away on my part though.

Last edited:

Jmook11

Smash Apprentice
I only ever use the joystick for SHnairing out of shield. That for some reason makes it easier for me. Other than that, just practice.

And this may sound odd, don't even think about it when you play matches. Instead of thinking "Gotaa short hop here to fair" Just think "Gotta Fair." It sounds odd, but the less focused you are on doing an actual short hop the less likely you are to hold the button for to long. That might just be a quirk I have though.
Like what he said ⬆ I think SH'ing is a complete mental block that you have to over come. The more you think about it, the more chances of messing up. At least fo me, that is....

Top Bottom