• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your motivation behind becoming good at Smash?

ItsASquid

Smash Apprentice
I have two reasons myself. One is to earn respect with characters people sleep on, like Robin. This is thanks to Sol, Dath, Girthquake and A.Rookie. The other is to help control the FG bullies. I take all bullying very seriously as I know others do, and I want to put a stop to them so new players can play a more fun game :)

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
My reasons include my passion for Nintendo video games, while the other part of the reason is to meet with many other people who have similar interest to mine. I also want to learn much more from technical Smash, as it has improved not only my skills, but my life in general.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
I love the characters and the feeling to the game, I mean all of Nintendo's franchises in one game? along with guest characters?
I mean how cool is that?

Speaking of characters, Olimar is my Favorite Nintendo character and he is treated as trash in the minds of most players in this game, thats why I want to be as good as I can get with Olimar and show that hes not just some pushover.

Mr. Gency

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mister-Gency
3DS FC
2552-3708-9647
It used to be to surpass the people who were better than me starting out.

Before I had a system to play Smash 4 on, I would borrow someone else's 3DS to play. Being unable to practice on my own time, I naturally lost every game unless it was a 3 or 4 player free-for-all. So I got my own "New" 3DS, put in hundreds of hours, and... everyone I originally played with stopped playing. I found other people to play with, but I was already better than most of them and I was never able to get better than the few I weren't better than.

Combine that with never improving enough to even consistently win on For Glory and I pretty much lost any incentive to git gud.

Neko5enpai

Smash Rookie
NNID
Neko5enpai
3DS FC
0989-2725-3186
My motivation to be good at Smash... Wait, I've been playing Smash for so long! Going from Melee to Smash Wii U / 3DS... And I still suck. I want to be good so I can be seen by other players with respect. My friends often joke around when they see me win and be like "Hey, look who's winning, that's terrible!" I want it to be normal for others that I can actually win a battle...

I also love Nintendo characters and its universe, which is why I keep training and training. Watching videos of good players to learn and experimenting the moves. I want to be more technical in my gameplay.

Last edited:

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
Is being better than my friends at everything a valid answer?

Blazerator

Smash Cadet
NNID
josh2499
Games in general are more fun when you're good at them. Also, it's fun to completely destroy most of my friends xD

Mrrgle

Smash Cadet
It's been my favorite franchise since I was, quite literally, three-years old. I've always wanted to get better and better.

KeepTheLegacy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1006-3169-3915
Fighting games will add more of a quality to my life, I feel like. I will be able to go out more, meet new people and be involved in a community.

Becoming adequate just adds to the fun of fighting games.

Literally_Something

Smash Rookie
My motivation to "git gud" is that I would be able to be more knowledgeable about the game, which will make discussions on the topic of Smash Bros more enjoyable and fun (at least to me).

Also because it's fun to get good.

Emaxxy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Emaxxy
Switch FC
SW-4048-7139-9895
I'm from the Chicago area and we have a pretty good scene around here. My goal is to get PR'd in Chicago, and then the Midwest, and hopefully nationally eventually. Smash is also a lot more fun, I love competitive games and have played Smash since I was a kid. I came back to Smash after playing League of Legends for awhile because I just wanted to have to rely on myself and not teammates.

Top Bottom