• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is with the stigma against laser spam?

IAW

Smash Rookie
I have read over and over on this forum that only noobs laser spam. I understand the basic logic that wolf has a lot more options and laser spam should be a last option, but really... shouldn't it be the first option. Some characters and some players have an extremely tough time approaching laser spam esp. since a lot of retreating aerials that normally avoid a shield grab give that character a slight landing lag that can allow wolf to F-smash out of it. On the same note it forces many players to change their typical game play which can be frustrating to them causing openings that wouldn't normally be there. In other words, why not first see if your opponent can handle laser spam. If he/she can't handle it then their is no reason not too laser spam to win. It is a simple strategy that doesn't leave much to chance. To put it simply, if they can't find a way to approach the likelihood if you losing is very small because the laser spam strat doesn't ever put you in "sticky" situations that cause unwarranted deaths. Using it as a last resort seems silly. If it works as a last resort to win the match then it should have been used in the first place for a much more decisive win. If it doesn't work as a last resort then it would have been much more useful to figure that out in the beginning of the match and not place the hopes of your last stock on a strategy that won't work.

Anyway, I was just curious what you guys thought

tekkie

Smash Master
I always just mix it in with my play. I don't just sit there and laz0r.

Pretty much, if they're ever knocked decently far away, two or three lasers, just to keep 'em on their toes.

Once in a while, I'll do it defensively, i.e. shoot a few if I'm retreating.

If there's some kind of issue with using a laser consistently, you might as well yell at Snake for using grenades, Diddy for bananas, etc.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Laser rocks. :mad:

I don't care what other people say. If they say "OMG U SPAMMER!!1", just laugh at them for continuously falling into such an easily avoidable projectile.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I don't care what other people say. If they say "OMG U SPAMMER!!1", just laugh at them for continuously falling into such an easily avoidable projectile.
Exactly. Intelligent abuse is the better option, but spamming is intelligent abuse if your opponent is stupid and can't find a way around it.

:059:

$haDy

Smash Apprentice
Its because wolf is such a tough opponent to fight on wifi.Laser spam,f-smash and bair >.<

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
I actually need to spam it. I don't spam it enough, unless I find a good opportunity to use it, say when an Ike is recovering, I chain him with it (unless he's intelligent, which there's not a lot of around here).

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Laser rocks. :mad:

Or alternatively, you could yell "NO JOHNS" and Sparta kick them.

undead_saint

Smash Rookie
I just picked up wolf again and I'm starting to use more lasers in my game now than I was a fe wmonths ago. If falco, D3 Link and Snake can get away with projectile use and still be considered Skillful then why not wolf? I used to hold back but not anymore. The blasters startup and cooldown time makes up for the spamming balance because like that one vid said, "That aint falco".

impostoroak557

Smash Cadet
Well, if my opponent is approaching me, I will fire a couple of shots. It forces them to roll, powershield of spotdodge, breaking their momentum.

GimmieCookie

Smash Cadet
Short hop the laser.

Full hop the laser.

Laser in the wrong direction.

Laser above their head.

Laser below their feet.

Laser in their face.

Just make sure there is always one beam making its way across the stage, I say.

mith132

Smash Apprentice
Laser spamming constantly is usually not effective if your playing someone that is decent, so generally i just throw them out there throughout the battle.

@HomE

Smash Ace
How about this for a reason...

Everyone will Hate and your friends wont play with you anymore..

no?

Jhin

Smash Rookie
wolf's blaster is one of the easier ones to dodge imo. i main wolf, and whenever i need to retreat ill throw in some lasers but even on a half decent player, they can dodge them by the 3rd shot, if youre going to use the lasers with some strats in mind it gets more complicated for your opponent but, if you just sit there, shooting lasers and you still cant get around it well....you clearly suck and shouldnt complain that their using you for a means of entertainment lol

another thing i might do which i find useful is to just lead them to you, a good player will ussualy avoid your lasers and come to you, which is exacly what you want happening, whent hey get close enough follow up with w/e start you had in mind. i ussualy do this when i need to find an opening on my opponent so i can give a more aggressive playstyle without being punished.

Hiza

Smash Apprentice
I was just curious what you guys thought
Brawl is about winning, if being gay is how you win, do it. If laser spam is on the menu, Pimp that filthy streetwalker out all over your opponent. If you get predictable, maybe stop doing it, or don't.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
TBH If anyone actually got angry about laser abuse, I'd just pick Dedede and chaingrab or Sheik and ftilt the whole time.

That'll show them how stupid this game can be, and that they should be happy to only have to deal with a slow blaster shot.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
TBH If anyone actually got angry about laser abuse, I'd just pick Dedede and chaingrab or Sheik and ftilt the whole time.

That'll show them how stupid this game can be, and that they should be happy to only have to deal with a slow blaster shot.
Or Ivysaur's bullet seed >_> It does the same thing as blaster spam only 10x faster.

Top Bottom