• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the saddest video game?

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
Emotion plays a very big part of all media, and saddness can be one of the most powerful. What do you think is the saddest video game ever made? I would have to say Mother 3.

Ryudo_Sama

Smash Ace
No wait, forget that one. Better yet, Majora's Mask is absolutely sad and dark. Innocent children are playing, unaware that the moon will fall and kill them. Now the whole thing with Anju and Kafei really is emotional. They know they're going to die, but they will stay together anyways.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Final Fantasy 7 was pretty sad. You start off in the slums of Midgar, a place that has no Sun and no hope. What a dump! Oh yeah and Aeris dying was pretty bad too.

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
Final Fantasy 7 was pretty sad. You start off in the slums of Midgar, a place that has no Sun and no hope. What a dump! Oh yeah and Aeris dying was pretty bad too.
That one is in fact the only sad game I can think of, not a single character goes without dark moments.

I think this was one of the first games to focus on the depressing backgrounds of the main characters for plot purposes.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Which pisses me off because that game is stereotyped to be a game with a cast of characters who are "emo." **** Tales fanboys etc.

Gawd, I hate it. "It's cool to hate Final Fantasy" right?!

Anyway, the ending of FF10 was kinda sad too.

D13

Smash Ace
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. Yeah, I don't play very many sad games. At all. >_>

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Majora's Mask for me.

MGS 3 wasn't sad, it was just a twist (and a funny one at that).

And FF7 looked to silly to be depressing.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
MGS3 has to be it for me.

My jaw dropped at the ending.
Hopefully MGS4 has some tearjerker cutscenes like in MGS3... Kojima's ability to write such enticing stories is amazing.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
No wait, forget that one. Better yet, Majora's Mask is absolutely sad and dark. Innocent children are playing, unaware that the moon will fall and kill them. Now the whole thing with Anju and Kafei really is emotional. They know they're going to die, but they will stay together anyways.
Hidden Fact: Finish
the Bomber's notebook and you get to see Anju and Kafei's wedding in the credits.
The ending of MGS3 was pretty depressing.
Yeah. That tear was justified. Anyone who laughs or feels nothing doesn't understand the true relationship and connection that Big Boss and The Boss share. I understand it.

Pef7

Smash Cadet
Well I never beat Majora's Mask...so I can't comment on that. Final Fantasy 7's story was bogged down with a lot of grinding for me. Never beat MGS3 either...don't even own a PS2.

I don't know which one but I'd say that probably a pretty sad game would be one of those semi-plentiful survival horror games. The bad ending of Silent Hill 4 was pretty bad...everyone dies to put it simply. Or Resident Evil...pretty much everyone that you could possibly know is now a zombie...have fun killing them to survive.

Wander

Smash Journeyman
I still cry tears of manliness every time I reach the end of ICO or Shadow of the Colossus. You Were There is the greatest song at working tears out of a person.

A_man13

Smash Master
I really haven't played too many sad games. If I had to choose one, it would have to be Mother 3 as well. I haven't played the game (c'mon fan translators/ nintendo deciding to release it), but out of what I've observed its depressing (it's much darker than previous installments as with most series lately). Just a lot of unfortunate events happen rapidly.

Eternal Smasher

Smash Ace
I only cried once playing a video game, but it was for a completely unrelated reason.
That one song in Marvel vs. Capcom...

But a genuinely sad game...I've never come across one, besides Majora's Mask, which I didn't get to finish. I can generate some somberness in the endings of some games when I put them into some sort of context, like F-Zero GX, Sonic Adventure 2 and even Viewtiful Joe 2.

For seriously.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
It was depressing when
Zelos
died near the end of Tales of Symphonia. I was sad. Then I figured out on my second run that somehow you can make him not die instead and it was all good. Wish I knew how to do it, though.

MGS had many sad scenes.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Metroid II:Return of Samus is sad, all those poor metroids, every last one dies, I still have sore tear ducts.

Majoras Mask was pretty sad actually, I never beat the game, but the Goron part was really sad, and so was the
zombie dad
part, overall, plenty of sadness, and without getting to the ending that probably had a emotional uplifting resolve, it will be sad in my mind forever(or until I youtube the ending).

MattC13

Smash Cadet
I dunno as in heartbreaking, but as an attempt for a video game sad, I'd say Manhunt (Don't go all flammy on me MH fans >_<)

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Shadow of the Colossus, hands down.
Poor Agro...

I think Portal's up there too, as is Indigo Prophecy. Final Fantasy VII, however, can go take it up the bum--FFIV and FFVI did "touching" first, and did it way better (without all the metaphysical bull****).

MattC13

Smash Cadet
Your either 9 years old or your names Jack Thomphson.
Or just hate the Manhunt series.

I mean, come on. GTA's fine, and Rockstar was doing great with that. But Manhunt is sickining and useless.

If you're going to judge me of what video games I like, or of anybody, then stfu and gtfo.

Oh yeah, and BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :p

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
*Facepalm* I had the game and it wasnt actually that bad.

It just seemed as if you were judging the quality of the game based on the violence in it. Also if you think people are not going to judge you based on facts you have given then I suggest you GTFO the internets.

Warriors

Smash Journeyman
the saddest game is any zelda game in which link and zelda do not get together

MattC13

Smash Cadet
Also if you think people are not going to judge you based on facts you have given then I suggest you GTFO the internets.
I've been through many a******(mainly Halo fanboys), who've written posts that have taken them 20 minutes, only to get flattened by a post that took 2 seconds. :p

Anyways, since I think this is done, we can resume with the regular topic.

m0rdin

Smash Rookie
Star Wars Republic Commando. Yes, I'm serious. I was really into the game and that ending really did me. Frustrating and since there was no sequel I still did not compensate that finish. :(

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII

It's definitely up there. For those that played through it and what kind of fight awaited you at the end, then you'd understand.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Let's see...sad games....
Final Fantasy X comes to mind. That was certainly a sad ending. I cried at a lot of moments in video games, though. The ending of MegaMan Battle Network 3 had me bawling like a toddler with an ice cream cone covered in sand. Let's see, what else...ah, hell with it, I'll just list them.
Final Fantasy X
Kingdom Hearts II
MegaMan Battle Network 3
Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival (story mode)
Metroid Fusion

Those are my biggies.
What's funny is that Final Fantasy VII didn't make me cry or even make me sad, despite all the fanboys telling me that it's the most deep, emotionally driven, beautiful masterpiece in history.
Could someone tell me what's good about that game? I honestly can't find anything.

Top Bottom