• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the name of this movement technique?

Chrono Reyer

Smash Cadet

I've seen this in a few matches, and pulled this pic out of the Marth frame application thread (which was fantastic).
I would like to ask what the name of the technique he is using to grab the ledge out of a dash is, as well as if all the characters can use it.

Since I'm basically new to P:M, I learned to ledgehog by wavedashing backwards out of a full turn mid dash, as it changes the direction you face in P:M, but in melee that doesn't work so I wanted to know how to do this, as I also am interested in playing melee.

Sorry if something like this has been posted already, I just don't know the name of the tech so I can't search it! Heh. Thanks in advance for any help!

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
PC chris edgehog/PC drop or w/e ppl wanna call it. You basically walk/run towards the ledge (w/e point you can pivot at) and use your characters traction to carry you off the ledge with momentum as you turn around. You'll get a perfectly dropped edgehog.

Last edited:

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
^What he said, but doing it deliberately out of a run is borderline impossible as I believe is explained in that marth thread. A good way to do it for marth at least is to run, wavedash out of your run which will put you in the fastest walk, and then turn around for the edgehog.

SAUS

Smash Ace
^What he said, but doing it deliberately out of a run is borderline impossible as I believe is explained in that marth thread. A good way to do it for marth at least is to run, wavedash out of your run which will put you in the fastest walk, and then turn around for the edgehog.
Ya, I believe it was because you can only do it at certain intervals of distance, so unless you can measure how many pixels you are away from the edge consistently, you can't perform this trick consistently. Even if it were feasible to measure the distance, it is still frame perfect.

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
PC chris edgehog/PC drop or w/e ppl wanna call it. You basically walk/run towards the ledge (w/e point you can pivot at) and use your characters traction to carry you off the ledge with momentum as you turn around. You'll get a perfectly dropped edgehog.
pc hog is generally just fastwalk->turnaround, i think. it's much rarer to see people edgehog with an actual pivot like this, but you can definitely learn specific distances (like full dash length) with a bit of practice. being able to react and do it visually from arbitrary distances though is probably hoping for a bit much.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
That gif is definitely pivot hog, and I don't think you could learn to do that consistently, as kadano mentioned it's hard to do even in tas.

Kadano

Magical Express
That gif is definitely pivot hog, and I don't think you could learn to do that consistently, as kadano mentioned it's hard to do even in tas.
You know what’s up.

PC edgehog looks different:

I've seen this in a few matches, and pulled this pic out of the Marth frame application thread (which was fantastic).
I would like to ask what the name of the technique he is using to grab the ledge out of a dash is, as well as if all the characters can use it.

Since I'm basically new to P:M, I learned to ledgehog by wavedashing backwards out of a full turn mid dash, as it changes the direction you face in P:M, but in melee that doesn't work so I wanted to know how to do this, as I also am interested in playing melee.

Sorry if something like this has been posted already, I just don't know the name of the tech so I can't search it! Heh. Thanks in advance for any help!
You can just go back to the thread’s OP where you found the .gif, the name was mentioned in that section a few times. There’s also a link to the original post with more information.
Edit: Here’s a direct link for you: http://smashboards.com/threads/20xx-edgehog.342911/#post-16034752

Last edited:

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
pc hog is generally just fastwalk->turnaround, i think. it's much rarer to see people edgehog with an actual pivot like this, but you can definitely learn specific distances (like full dash length) with a bit of practice. being able to react and do it visually from arbitrary distances though is probably hoping for a bit much.
Lol yeah, I tried this for a half hour after seeing that gif. I'm someone with a lotta technical knowledge on the game and I'm very technically sound with my gameplay, I cannot for the life of me get that. It's frameperfect on a pixel or something, it has to be.

Last edited:

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I've always called it a pivot ledge grab, you can do it out of the run animation but it's easier to do it out of walking. If I practice it for a bit I can usually do it three of four times in a row from running with Falcon. It takes proper spacing and timing as you have to pivot at the right spot and still keep your forward momentum. I've found it's actually just a lot easier and more consistent to do a moonwalk a few frames before you hit the ledge, if you do it fast enough you run off, pivot and fast fall and it looks sexy as hell.

Top Bottom