• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what is the most exciting thing about ssb4

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
When i transfered from SSB64 to Melee, it was such a huge leap over the previous installment. When i transfered from Melee to Brawl it honestly felt like a downgrade... first Smash to have several characters dropped, and features. Plus a dumbed down gameplay mechanic that gets boring quickly.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Melee added sideb's, the MAD, moonwalking, true di, stage teching, and is still a fun party game ON TOP of being technical and competitive.

Brawl added tripping. Real cool game right?

:phone:

Linnom

Smash Cadet
I'm excited for Sakurai to get my hopes up then disappoint me even more than he did with Brawl
When i transfered from SSB64 to Melee, it was such a huge leap over the previous installment. When i transfered from Melee to Brawl it honestly felt like a downgrade... first Smash to have several characters dropped, and features. Plus a dumbed down gameplay mechanic that gets boring quickly.
Melee added sideb's, the MAD, moonwalking, true di, stage teching, and is still a fun party game ON TOP of being technical and competitive.

Brawl added tripping. Real cool game right?

Don´t worry, folks! I'm pretty sure when the SSB4 is launched, our fellow hackers will find a way to hack the Wii U only to create a new wavedash code. And then, a new Project M will be created for the sake of the all good smashers.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Right, now. How come there was no Project 64 during Melee? Oh wait...
Because the level of hacking skills and the desire to expand them was not nearly as great as in Brawl's time. In 2001 personal computers were still yet to be a thing for teenagers and were seen more as a family device by and large. This and a lack of desire for 64's positive traits from the initial apprehension for the weaker throws and smaller combos after Melee's metagame had been explored for a short while made heavy modifications to the game seem unnecessary.

A much, much larger group of people were mad as hell when Brawl churned out the way it did, and there was a much more involved group of people willing to change it.

That's why.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Melee hacking is incredibly difficult. From what I understand it requires heavy amounts of knowledge of hex edits, and is really unstable/resistant to changes. Brawl was much easier an egg to crack, and therefore mods for it developed sooner.

And no one said Melee was perfect and without need for modification. Melee SD remix does exist and is being worked on.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Melee hacking is incredibly difficult. From what I understand it requires heavy amounts of knowledge of hex edits, and is really unstable/resistant to changes. Brawl was much easier an egg to crack, and therefore mods for it developed sooner.

And no one said Melee was perfect and without need for modification. Melee SD remix does exist and is being worked on.
Plus, it's much easier to softmod a Wii than a Gamecube. Heck, you don't even need a softmodded Wii to run some homebrew.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
One thing that is exciting would be to see melee veterans square off against the top brawl players. Let's say hypothetically we know for a fact that smash 4 is a worthy successor to melee and didn't get rid of any of the "features" that appeal to the brawl crowd. Wouldn't you want to see matches like mango vs ally or esam vs axe. That **** would be so hype.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
MK players. :troll:

Ally plays a really good snake. And has one of (top 4 i think) the best DK's.

Esam is a really good pikachu player in brawl.

But I don't play brawl so I honestly don't know what constitutes a "good player" besides winning.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I pretty sure in brawl they measure player skill by how gay the dude plays.

That's how every game works.

Brawl just doesn't have rewards on hit so it's more noticeable and slow, or has disproportionate rewards from specific hits that make confrontation discouraged when you can always just throw out another safely spaced aerial.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
That's how every game works.

Brawl just doesn't have rewards on hit so it's more noticeable and slow, or has disproportionate rewards from specific hits that make confrontation discouraged when you can always just throw out another safely spaced aerial.
I know all of this. Brawl is a fighting game that discourages fighting. The one difference in this case is that aggression has a place in melee as long as it's calculated aggression.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Because the level of hacking skills and the desire to expand them was not nearly as great as in Brawl's time. In 2001 personal computers were still yet to be a thing for teenagers and were seen more as a family device by and large. This and a lack of desire for 64's positive traits from the initial apprehension for the weaker throws and smaller combos after Melee's metagame had been explored for a short while made heavy modifications to the game seem unnecessary.

A much, much larger group of people were mad as hell when Brawl churned out the way it did, and there was a much more involved group of people willing to change it.

That's why.
That's sorta the point i was trying to make with my comment, lol.

Also was trying to point out that "Project 64" the emulator was sorta a solution for competive SSB64 players, because it supported netplay during Melee's early lifespan. So a competive community got built around that concept, so they had a solution already.

Brawl is a fighting game that discourages fighting.
Yet it's the top selling fighting game of all time.

Scar86

Smash Cadet
For me it's going to be /v/s reaction to the roster. That's always a lot of fun.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
one thing that interests me is that Namco is helping bring their own twist to the game's creation. with the exception of Other M and a few Starfox games, having outside develpoers work on Nintendo IPs usually gets great games(Ninty+Square=Mario RPG, Ninty+Capcom=Orcale & minish cap, Ninty+Koei=Pokemon Conquest, etc.)

Vkrm

Smash Lord
one thing that interests me is that Namco is helping bring their own twist to the game's creation. with the exception of Other M and a few Starfox games, having outside develpoers work on Nintendo IPs usually gets great games(Ninty+Square=Mario RPG, Ninty+Capcom=Orcale & minish cap, Ninty+Koei=Pokemon Conquest, etc.)
I agree with this. I think the actually development matters more than the director.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Say what you want about the plot for Other M, but I think the gameplay in Other M has a lot of potential. The big problem was Sakamoto's idea of giving it NES type controls which really limited the combat potential for a game that was made by the Ninja Gaiden developers. Don't get me started on the poorly executed FPS mode either.

For the Starfox games, the only one I thought was genuinely weak was Command. For an action adventure game, Adventures was an enjoyable one and it should be viewed as just an action adventure game with Starfox characters which, too, has the potential to be a gaiden series. Assault was good, but needs some cleaning up if they decide to go that route again.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Being developed by team ninja doesn't mean as much as it used to. Ninja gaiden gets worse with every new game in the series. I didn't play other m but I watched an lp and I gotta say that I'm only really disappointed by samuss' character. The game looks fun. Not diggin the story though, not sure if anybody does. I've HATED all the modern starfox games. All I want to do is fly a freaking arwing and shoot fools. That's it. At this point a triple a Title sf on wiiu would be a waste of resources. A new star fox on 3ds or mobile would make more sense.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Being developed by team ninja doesn't mean as much as it used to. Ninja gaiden gets worse with every new game in the series. I didn't play other m but I watched an lp and I gotta say that I'm only really disappointed by samuss' character. The game looks fun. Not diggin the story though, not sure if anybody does. I've HATED all the modern starfox games. All I want to do is fly a freaking arwing and shoot fools. That's it. At this point a triple a Title sf on wiiu would be a waste of resources. A new star fox on 3ds or mobile would make more sense.

The story wasn't Team Ninja's fault. Regerdless of what you think of the story, the person responsible for the story was Yoshio Sakamoto. Team Ninja just did the gameplay, which most people agree was at least good.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Say what you want about the plot for Other M, but I think the gameplay in Other M has a lot of potential. The big problem was Sakamoto's idea of giving it NES type controls which really limited the combat potential for a game that was made by the Ninja Gaiden developers. Don't get me started on the poorly executed FPS mode either.

For the Starfox games, the only one I thought was genuinely weak was Command. For an action adventure game, Adventures was an enjoyable one and it should be viewed as just an action adventure game with Starfox characters which, too, has the potential to be a gaiden series. Assault was good, but needs some cleaning up if they decide to go that route again.
The controls for Other M were some of the most appealing parts of it for me. It's the slow walking and area scan segments that annoyed me. The controls were a perfect example of how to build a game around its control scheme rather than build a game and include the controls as a secondary additions like the Wii remakes of Gamecube games or DKC. The controls for these games feel forced and out of place, like the game was made and the motion controls were forced into them to push the idea that shaking your controller is the future.

Other M was carefully built around its limitations with the entirety of level design, camera, and enemy patterns being made with Samus's controls in mind. That's what you need to do when making a game; no matter what it is, it has to be built with the limitations and features of the control scheme in mind from day 1.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
The controls would have been perfect in not for having to switch to first-person mode to use missiles. I don't mind the first person mode, but I don't see why they couldn't have missiles work like they did in the older games. That and the pixel hunts(which can go straight to hell) and the slow walking segments were the only real problems for me with the gameplay. With a little polish, and maybe a different scenario, OM's gameplay could probably be used to make one of the best Metroid games ever IMO.

..wait, weren't we supposed to be talking about Smash?

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Controls are an important part of Smash as they are with any other game. So on that note, I await to see how Sakurai plans to build the game with the new control options in mind.

My guess? He won't really. Fighting game controls are almost all streamlined so little innovation is going to be used to transition the game from Gamecube Controllers into the new controllers.

Making a custom control scheme is probably going to be the first thing I do with this game, unfortunately.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
oh yeah, speaking of controls, since Namco is supposed to release a fight pad for TTTT on Wii-u, I wonder if that will be an option this time?

Ove

Smash Journeyman
oh yeah, speaking of controls, since Namco is supposed to release a fight pad for TTTT on Wii-u, I wonder if that will be an option this time?
I am definitely pro a gamepad for smash. That would have been sweet, although that would most likely mean a radical change in the control scheme.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'd most definitely enjoy that option. Unfortunately, there are a few issues surrounding it, but some of them are easily resolvable.

• Loss of analogue movement - runs would have to be initiated with a double input in the intended direction.
  • Little tip toe animations are lost since the game would only be able to have walk and run for the most part. Meh, most people wouldn't notice.
  • Any mechanics that involve the C-Stick would have to either be removed or revamped in some form to where it's completely unnecessary.
  • All kind of pressure sensitive mechanics - should they ever return - would be impossible to implement unless you have a specialty stick, but those would be expensive.

To be fair though, the series is going into another direction so maybe they will have a game design with the arcade stick in mind or not. With the way fighting games have been booming since 2009, I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo get in on this.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
To be fair though, the series is going into another direction so maybe they will have a game design with the arcade stick in mind or not. With the way fighting games have been booming since 2009, I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo get in on this.
Oh god I hope they don't. Smash being made for a gamepad and actually taking advantage of analogue movement was what helped make it unique.

As far as special "fight pads" go, I'd rather get a special Gamecube-stryle controller.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Just to play devil's advocate, how does it take advantage of analogue movement in a way that switching to a gamepad wouldn't deliver an equivalent advantage?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Just to play devil's advocate, how does it take advantage of analogue movement in a way that switching to a gamepad wouldn't deliver an equivalent advantage?
-Running versus walking, and having vaiable walking speed.
-Smash attacks and tilt/strong attacks can be performed on the same button.

Little things, but they help the game stand apart from others IMO.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Not to be a graphics ***** or anything but, I'd be looking forward to the 1080p HD graphics the most in this game.

Top Bottom