• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is "The limit"? (concerning DLC)

demonickirby

Smash Rookie
So as EVERYONE knows by now both :4lucas:and :4mewtwo:have been shown for DLC. It's taken a long time but they are almost here. Now they have already opened the ballot thing to everyone and stuff. But do you think they've already started working on more characters? I mean think about it like this. ALL of smash 4, both versions, took about 2 and a half years or so to make. Thats all characters, the engine, modes, ect. Yet we thought Mewtwo has taken over 6 months to make ALONE. But now we know better. Lucus was also in the making at the same time. But to me that still seems like a long time for just 2 characters. Is it possible they have more characters in the works that they have yet to reveal? And how many characters do you think they will release for DLC in the next year? I find all of these to be interesting questions.

Tl;DR: Do you think more characters are already in the works?

D

Deleted member 269706

Well don't forget that they were also working on a majority of other things including balance tweaks, new costumes for Mii fighters, tournament mode, Miiverse stage, and some other stuff. I think it's fair to say that Wolf is in the works, and I wouldn't be surprised if they have plans for other characters such as Isaac. But obviously the next few releases are much less hyped than the initial release, so the team is probably slowing down a bit. By the end of the year, I think we'll have 3-4 new fighters including Mewtwo and Lucas.

Skjoett

Smash Cadet
Completely agree with Rawkstar. Here is my own, quite lengthy, personal analysis of the situation though :-)

If I don't remember incorrectly, the ballot ends October or November. After that Sakurai and the sm4sh team will probably discuss and valuate which of the most voted for characters shall get in. After that we're definitely at the end of 2015, so the actual making of the ballot voted characters would first begin 2016.
Before the ballot ends though, I could very well see Wolf comming out in Q3, and maybe, just maybe, another character in Q4. My gut feeling though is that all we will see this year will be Mewtwo, Lucas and Wolf. Which I am completely fine with. Keep in mind though, none of these should have been affected/caused by the ballot votes, as they already where in the making/planned for before the ballot opened.

In 2016 I think there will come 2-3 characters, the latter if theres "only" 3 characters getting in this year. Who it will be I have no clue on at this point, though I do have some predictions myself. Here they are in no particular order:

- King K. Rool (whom my ballot vote went to) or Dixie Kong. The DK franchise just needs a 3rd representative, and after seeing the already huuuge demand for K. Rool (and some other factors), I am pretty convinced he will get in.
- Isaac. Now I must confess, I don't really know who this dude is, as I never have played the Golden Sun series before. He does though have what seems like a huge fanbase, and a huge demand in the ballots. So wouldn't be surprised to see him getting in.
- The Inklings (or one of them). To promote the Splatoon game (and franchise), though it will be a bit late to do it considering their game comes out soon. But, if the game sells well, I could see Nintendo wanting the Inklings in to promote the franchise as a whole, so many people recognize the franchise in upcomming instalments. That, and there is also a rather big support for them on the ballot votes.

I dont think Ridley will come in since he already is a stage hazard, and Sakurai seems very adamant on putting him in the game.
Roy also has huuge support on the ballots as of thus far, but I just don't see a 5th FE representative, especially when franchises like Zelda, DK, Starfox etc. are relatively under-represented.
Snake has a ton of votes as well, but I'm just not sure any third party characters will get in, no matter the amount of support. And I also have a gut feeling that his apperance in Brawl was his last in Smash.
I don't think Waluigi will get in either, since he's an assist trophy. Not that he is likely to get in anyways, but I see a lot of people who vote for him.

That is my complete analysis/predictions. Sorry it was pretty damn long, but I just love wondering about all of this character speculations :D

Last edited:

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
If characters already have conceived movesets, ergo they'd been in Smash Bros previously, it's fair to say it'll take less time to remake for Smash 4.
As Sakurai has expressed, the team basically has to remake any veteran that got into Smash 4, so it still takes a fair bit of time.

I think there is a chance for a third new character this year, which in-turn probably would have to be a veteran to make it in time.
With that said, I'd believe without a doubt that they are in some early pre-production on some characters they have a feeling people would be into. So :wolf:, :ivysaur:or :squirtle:.

opinions ahead
:snake:'d be cool, but I presume it'd more costly (license etc) and thus less prioritized. KEIFER SAUTHERLAND THO, THINK ABOUT IT Since we essentially have them (but in other incarnations) already, I'd be bummed if they took time to remake :pichumelee:, :roymelee: or :younglinkmelee:. Obviously, I don't want to undermine any passion people have for these characters, but I have very little of that for them, other then the obvious "oh man Melee!!!! guys Melee!!!". I also wouldn't want them to retrofit :icsmelee: just to make them (or they) work on the 3DS, thus redefining them just for the sake of having them there.

At this point, I'd rather they produce more stages (be it old or new) and make the lives easier for people that play the game competativly. or idk rayman plz

Last edited:

DraculaSb

Smash Cadet
:falconmelee: Needs another rep from F-Zero. Idc who at this point. I voted for Jody Summer from F-Zero X though. A female Falcon with a different movement would be cool imo. I would like to see K.Roll, Skull Kid, and even Bomberman.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
:falconmelee: Needs another rep from F-Zero. Idc who at this point. I voted for Jody Summer from F-Zero X though. A female Falcon with a different movement would be cool imo. I would like to see K.Roll, Skull Kid, and even Bomberman.
black shadow
deathborn
:)
blood falcons already in(ish)

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
Nintendo's not stupid. They released Sm4sh and made more money than they've made on any game in a while. It seems like a no-brainer to expand on it to increase the profit. Smash is my favorite series of all time. As long as they add stuff, I'll probably be paying for it. (Unless they start throwing in rreeaally ridiculous characters)

demonickirby

Smash Rookie
I want more characters for sure. Iceclimbers would be sweet. Dont really want roy, or pichu. Don't care about snake (and seems highly unlikely.) Wolf actually seems kind of likely but I dont particularly care about him personally.
I think ridley is actually possible. I don't want him to be but from a business standpoint it makes no sense for them not to make him DLC as there seems to be a huge demand.
Inkling would be pretty sweet and so would another DK rep.
I'd rather not have any more FE, mario, or zelda reps.
More competitive stages would be awesome for sure.

Tyclarity

Smash Rookie
Sakurai posted a tweet about the limits of DLC

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
4 tops with at least two of them being veterans. With the way :4mewtwo: and :4lucas:turned out, other veterans probably won't have significant chances to them either, meaning that a good chunk of the planning work for them will be done, making them easier to add than all new characters. Realistically speaking, :wolf: and :popo: seem to have the best shot. Wolf is pretty much the same situation as Lucas as a character that just simply needs to make the jump. Ice Climbers are tricky but I don't think they're impossible. They said they got them to work just fine on the Wii U version but had trouble functioning on the 3DS. Supposedly they didn't dedicate a lot of time to figuring out this problem because of the Ice Climbers' overall obscurity but now they have that time as develop is now exclusively focused on DLC. If you had to turn in a project and you already had one that was 90% done, would you just start over or finish the one that you started? That's the logic I see behind it.

As for the potential newcomers, it really could go in any direction because we really don't know the guidelines. Will third party characters be considered? How the ATs/Pokemon already in the game? Who does Nintendo simply want to save until the next game? Maybe some light will be shed on this at E3 and in the coming months.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Likely they already have a whitelist and are basically quietly deciding which to go through with next.

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
We all know Lucas was being made while Mewtwo was being made, however, he was probably started a bit after Mewtwo. I believe, that at this moment, Wolf has just started being made, so that he will be ready to be shown off at E3 with Star Fox Wii U in a similar vein to how Lucas was shown with Mewtwo. So we will get a Lucas release and then a Wolf trailer at E3. Then they will start development of the most wanted ballet character, releasing them around October. And since the Ballet itself ends on October, that leads me to believe they will pick another ballet character and release them on December.

Mewtwo - April

Lucas - June

Wolf - August

Ballet Character 1 - October

Ballet Character 2 - December

Last edited:

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
. Then they will start development of the most wanted ballet character, releasing them around October. And since the Ballet itself ends on October, that leads me to believe they will pick another ballet character and release them on December.

That does not really make too much sense. In order to make every ones vote fair, I would assume they would start developing the character in or after October when the ballot ends, and release them in 2016, or late December. If we get any one in October it will be someone non related to the ballot.

Skjoett

Smash Cadet
I am unsure if they can make the ballot characters so quickly, and I assumed they'd first begin any work or consideration with them after the ballot ends. Maybe I am wrong though, and I personally wouldn't mind getting new characters quickly :-)

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I am unsure if they can make the ballot characters so quickly, and I assumed they'd first begin any work or consideration with them after the ballot ends. Maybe I am wrong though, and I personally wouldn't mind getting new characters quickly :-)
Well, they will have access to the ballet year round, so it's likely that the top voted characters will remain top voted throughout the lifetime of the ballot.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm assuming 2 to three more. One will be Wolf, no questions asked, it's the other two I'm intrested in.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Repostin' from the other thread.

I'm expecting around five in total, including Lucas and Mewtwo. Sakurai recently said on his twitter that there wouldn't be too many additional characters due to the amount of work it takes. https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/583402090862551040

Which makes sense. Fighting games typically don't tend to have a huge amount of DLC characters (For example, Mortal Kombat 9 had only four, I think), and Smash 4's roster is already packed to the brim with characters (53+, yes, that includes Mii Fighters, Mewtwo, Lucas, and whatever else we're gonna get).

Outside of Lucas and Mewtwo, I definitely think we're getting Wolf back. Seems extremely obvious, with him being on the same boat as Lucas and the fact that Star Fox actually has a new game coming out.

But I definitely hope the Smash devs eventually revisit the idea of the Chorus Kids, or at least implement some kind of Rhythm Heaven character. RH is a fairly significant Nintendo SPD/Yoshio Sakamoto developed franchise and it's extremely bizarre how much it's been given the cold shoulder in Smash. It's not just the lack of a character, it's the lack of a stage, the lack of an assist trophy, and the lack of music. Between the Sneaky Spirits in Smash Run and the fact there's data pertaining to RH within Smash 4's files, it's clearly obvious Sakurai was going to do something more significant with the series, and I hope he comes back to the idea for DLC.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
I won't be surprised if Wolf is released around the time the new Star Fox is coming out. But after Lucas I doubt we'll see another character until around christmas season

cybersai

Smash Ace
Not counting Wolf, I think we'll see 2-3 characters from the ballot and that's it.

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
More than likely the ballet will show the same results as polls conducted recently, they can pick characters that are high in votes and start development while another character is halfway finished with development. That's how they would get the 2 month window. It would really take about 4-5 months per character. Waiting until 2016 would take much too long to start on characters, and most people will have voted by now or at least the next few weeks, it's not gonna take months to figure out who the most wanted characters are.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yea i don't think we need to vote for wolf because because sakurai lied on mewtwo being the only. Dlc,

Wolf is pretty much a lock.

As a matter of fact I think its a double dip on sakurai working on another dlc, lucas looked more than 75% done but what i saw in the trailer and yet 2 months required to finish him.

I think we can exclude ridley sakurai is definatly going to stick to his guns on what he said on ridley (especially the cause the game to crash part.)

4th party votes are clearly going to get thrown away (especially shrek and goku votes sorry guys/girls)

3rd party can be considered but i really doubt it.

As for newcomers probably being in works, probably a rythem heaven rep but i really doubt it. (Data file of rythem heaven rep was found in the hack)

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
We all know Lucas was being made while Mewtwo was being made, however, he was probably started a bit after Mewtwo. I believe, that at this moment, Wolf has just started being made, so that he will be ready to be shown off at E3 with Star Fox Wii U in a similar vein to how Lucas was shown with Mewtwo. So we will get a Lucas release and then a Wolf trailer at E3. Then they will start development of the most wanted ballet character, releasing them around October. And since the Ballet itself ends on October, that leads me to believe they will pick another ballet character and release them on December.

Mewtwo - April

Lucas - June

Wolf - August

Ballet Character 1 - October

Ballet Character 2 - December
This is what I'm hoping for. Sounds reasonable. Plus, Wolf would be a great birthday present.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
The limit for DLC really just depends on how long Nintendo supports Smash DLC. If they decide to support it in the long run, as in, throughout the Wii U's lifespan, we could get quite a lot of content as DLC.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what Sakurai would prefer. The guy definitely isn't healthy enough to make another Smash game, but making Smash DLC? That's way easier to do.

demonickirby

Smash Rookie

See I feel like this SHOULD be true, and that to him, it certainly is. But I dont think it is. I think they will make more than he intends. Remember, he didnt want to make ANY, but I think they will soon discover that DLC is the way to go.
They'll soon learn the demand, the amount of money they make from doing it, and that it will keep people happy for a long time so they dont have to make another smash for years and years.
Just my predictions though. But I think there will almost def be more than 3 that havent been revealed.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970

The Japanese quote translates to "I can't make too much effort, so I think that I will as far as possible."

Anyone know Japanese and can verify what he's saying, it sounds like he can't make too much effort, but will try to do as much as he can?

Mechageo

Smash Ace
The Japanese quote translates to "I can't make too much effort, so I think that I will as far as possible."

Anyone know Japanese and can verify what he's saying, it sounds like he can't make too much effort, but will try to do as much as he can?
The man's pushing himself into the ground at this effort level.

Top Bottom