• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the greatest/mysterious phenomenon?

RJC

Smash Cadet
Out of everything in the universe what do you think is the greatest/most mysterious phenomenon (concept, object, thought, process, animal, etc.)? It can be as simple as a microwave heating your food, to a star exploding/imploding into a supernova. I personally think the most mysterious things are space and time... what do you guys think?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The growth of a human being from 2 cells. I find that amazing really.

Legomaxx

Smash Journeyman
I find how the brain functions to be interesting to say the least. I am learning about it in Psychology class and the amount of functions the brain can cover is amazing for just a wrinkly-looking lump in your skull. It makes me realize that as far as we have come with technology, the human body is still more advance than any form of technology and it has been that way since we have existed.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Black holes, period. The fact that something could collapse into one of those babies just astounds me.

RJC

Smash Cadet
Yeah, anything to do with quantum physics is extraordinary... By taking psychology, I've also realized the amount of amazing things our brain can do; it's extremely complicated and fragile!

_milktea

Smash Lord
Hm. I'd probably have to go with emotion and how it unravels itself differently with each individual person.

Mental disorders are pretty intriguing too.

M3ca

Smash Apprentice
space and time is amazing. but the ability to think is even more amazing to me.

_milktea said:
Mental disorders are pretty intriguing too.
i have a mental disorder to some extent. XD

XXII

Smash Cadet
I think the way the brain works, like how we can see letters with our eyes which then are viewed by our brain which process them and comprehends them as words which can express ideas and concepts.

Also the human body...with how the heart can take the blood that is already used, then recycle it and pump it through our body again as a continuous cycle.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Dark Energy. And the idea of a perpetually self regenerating universe.

Also, those little swirls in marbles. How do they DO that?!

supermariopro101

Smash Journeyman
The fact that dog saliva is cleaner than human saliva even though they lick their butts. :chuckle: Also who could of thought of calculus.

RJC

Smash Cadet
Yeah, it seems that we can't imagine the universe without space or time; it's extremely hard (maybe impossible) to picture a spaceless or timeless universe...

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
How about Paris Hilton becoming famous? Doesn't anyone else find that incredibly unlikely? Her only talent is being skinny and ugly at the same time.

M3ca

Smash Apprentice
^ lol @ paris

and saying "that's hot"

btw i can't even picture a 4D object. how is it possible to picture a timeless universe ><

lceman

Smash Cadet
I find love to be the greates phenomenon..... so much happiness can lead to misery and depression in a matter of days and vice versa. Stone Henge is a phenomenon as well..........

Uncle Meat

Smash Champion
The creation of the universe interests me most, as it leads to all other phenomena. Plus it's just really ****ed up!

GaNoNdOrFgUrL

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2853-0620-9258
something going at the speed of light......what would happen? would u burn up due to friction? would u go through time? or would u be the first person to literally run around the world?

Supreme Pie Ninja

Smash Ace
Being in the state that mass does not slow you at all, meaning that you are going infinately fast, being everywhere at once. It boggles my mind! (warp 10 in Trek talk ;) )

RJC

Smash Cadet
Light is incredible.. it's weird how "light" sets the limit for velocity in the universe, and not gravity or sound..

M3ca said:
btw i can't even picture a 4D object. how is it possible to picture a timeless universe ><
and in quantum physics (string theory to be more precise) the universe has 11 dimensions :dizzy:

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
RJC said:
and in quantum physics (string theory to be more precise) the universe has 11 dimensions :dizzy:
But string theory is all technically just mathematical conjecture with no scientific support, because all the things theorized in it cannot be tested by experiment. Basically string theory is just Mathematicians' way of perpetuating their status quo, their way of keeping students busy, and their way of seeming like they're still useful to society. And the fact that it catches on like a religion in which the people who most believe [ i.e. the students and teachers] are the people most deceived-- THAT, my friends, is phenomenal.

Light is incredible.. it's weird how "light" sets the limit for velocity in the universe, and not gravity or sound..
Well, my physics teacher, although she was a total flake, said that scientists broke the speed of light by accelerating photons in some environment which was conveniently unable to be reproduced, and for a moment I believed her. I wanted to believe her. But now I think she might have been lying.
And there's no logical reason for sound to set the universal speed limit, since sound is just vibration.

However, the speed of gravity is a perplexing idea. Since matter has never been created, the speed of gravity is unknown, and it may very well be infinite, instantly taking effect when matter is introduced into space [like the speed of darkness]. But if we could convert energy into matter as E=mc^2 declares possible...we might be able to discover the speed of gravity.

RJC

Smash Cadet
First of all, string theory is just a proposal to explain the universe; that's all.. don't take it as a concrete science, because it really isn't. Gravity, on the other hand, is very strange. In the next decade, particle accelerators are going to be able to see if there is a messenger-particle of gravity (the graviton); this may provide scientists with evidence proving or disproving certain aspects of the string theory (and other theories as well).

About sound-- I kinda meant it like this: "why is light set the limit on velocity? How come the universe didn't 'select' sound as the limit?"

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
why people sell themselves short on Ebay. i just don't get how ur going to sell me your 140 dollar text book for 20. Its amazing.

aw ****....my 1,000 post! *masterbates*

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The greatest phenomenon to me is creation. Not life or the universe but how human beings can create ideas, abstract ideas, into something tangible. Take the process in creating music. The end result is always so fulfilling. I love to listen to my songs just to feel the emotion I felt when I wrote.

Same goes for stories and such.

Drab Emordnilap

Palindrome Bard
BRoomer
Crimson King said:
How is that 4D? All I can see is Length, Width, and Height.
Of course that's all you can see. Those are the only dimentions you live in, so those are the only ones you can percieve.

In actuality, that isn't really a four-dimentional object; it's just a three-dimentional representation of one. After all, we can only percieve up, down, left, right, forward, and back. We can't see ana or kata.

Gate Everest

Banned via Administration
I've always been really interested in religions throughout history and present day.

And love... emotion in general. Hm, a lot of human attributes, actually. Creativity, the sense of justice, competitiveness.

While there are physical phenomena that amaze me, humans and their ideas are more 'my thing'.

CaptainKnight

Smash Rookie
RJC said:
About sound-- I kinda meant it like this: "why is light set the limit on velocity? How come the universe didn't 'select' sound as the limit?"
Light has a velocity through a vacuum. That would logically be lights maximum velocity. But sound has no velocity in a vacuum (sound can't exist without particles to transmit it) and so sound would be a very bad 'standard speed' as it has no maximum.

That and sound is tranmitted by moving particles that have mass and therefore drag, while light is so infinitesimal that it is conidered to have no mass and as such capable of much greater speeds.

And my personally favourite would have to be the Aurora Borealis and Aurora Australis. That fact that something that beautful was created by a fluke of nature is astounding.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
....... No, it doesn't. It's the Helix nebula. It's always like that. =/

One of the things I still find amazing is digital sound. I'm not yet able to understand how 1's and 0's can bring you a sound so complicated like Jimmy Page's Heartbreaker guitar riff. I'm sure it's really simple, it's just something I can't currently get my head around.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Digital sound isn't the same thing as guitar effects you know?

Guitar effects are soundboard and hardware based where as "1s and 0s" are software base. If you are interested, I can show you schematics on pedals, they are quite cool.

Top Bottom