• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what is the best way to practice wavedashing with samus?

silversephiroth

Smash Rookie
what is the best way to learn how to wavedash with samus? im terrible at wavedashing and although i can do it, i always seem to go ball form and roll when i try to do it fast. i need to know how to PRACTICE wavedashing, i dont need to know HOW to do it. so please dont waste your time coming in here and telling me how to wavedash.

p.s. i need to know things like what mode to be on, and what stage to practice on

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Just follow these steps:
1) Turn on SSBM
2) Go to training mode
3) Pick Samus and whatever enemy
4) Pick Final destination for the stage
5) Practice Wavedash!!!

YesSSSS!!!111!!!

Redragon

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
Just follow these steps:
1) Turn on SSBM
2) Go to training mode
5) First practice Full Jumping and air dodging down, and slowly get closer to the ground, until you can successfully jump and AD down so it looks like Samus didn't leave the ground.
6) Repeat step 5, but instead of ADing down, AD diagonally down and either left or right.

YesSSSS!!!111!!!

Wii4Mii 99
Fixed. wavedashing ftw!!!111!!!

Edit: ^ Wait, that's HOW you wavedash...

Well, all I can say is practice.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Yeah when i first started wavedashing, and i started ot get it down, i had a hard time wavedashing the opposite way right after. (i would turn into a ball and roll the other way) What i did, was i would jump, waveland and then try to immediately wavedash the opposite way. If you can get that down, or even waveland into serveal back and forth WD's, you should be near perfecting it.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
what is the best way to learn how to wavedash with samus? im terrible at wavedashing and although i can do it, i always seem to go ball form and roll when i try to do it fast. i need to know how to PRACTICE wavedashing, i dont need to know HOW to do it. so please dont waste your time coming in here and telling me how to wavedash.

p.s. i need to know things like what mode to be on, and what stage to practice on
thank you wii4mii 99. this is more helpful then the garbage redragon wrote.
Look at your first post^^^ You said you know how to wavedash you just want to know how to practice it. I told you to go to training and practice. Cause practice makes perfect!!! Don't say my advice is garbage without proper thought and consideration because i did answer your question, and saying things like that makes you sound like a 10 year old kid that has little knowledge of SSBM.

Redragon

Zjiin

Smash Master
Look at your first post^^^ You said you know how to wavedash you just want to know how to practice it. I told you to go to training and practice. Cause practice makes perfect!!! Don't say my advice is garbage without proper thought and consideration because i did answer your question, and saying things like that makes you sound like a 10 year old kid that has little knowledge of SSBM.

Redragon
You intention was fine, but the question was, how to BEST practice wavedashing. (i.e excersises & routines) You answering his question of how to BEST practice wavedashing with "practice wavedashing," probably wasn't as helpful as you thought it would have been, and to him could have come off as sarcastic.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
OK, from my above post, it's the same routine as shown in Wak's Advanced Techniques vid. But that's HOW to wavedash. silversephiroth asked how to wavedash fast. Notice he said he knew how to wavedash. So technically, REDRAGON was correct because the best way to wavedash quickly IS to practice. You should eventually know what positions to put the control stick in to reach what distances suit your situation without rolling. You'll also learn the correct timing to fluently wavedash without messing up.

Also, in his first post, he posted "i need to know how to PRACTICE wavedashing, i don't need to know HOW to do it. so please don't waste your time coming in here and telling me how to wavedash." So I guess I made the mistake, not REDRAGON. I'm pretty sure there's no way to verbally tell someone how to practice wavedashing quickly, as everyone has different speeds they're comfortable with.

So, to practice wavedashing...(quickly)
1) Turn on SSBM
2) Go to training mode
4) Pick Final destination for the stage.
5) Practice wavedash !!!

YesSSSS !!!111!!!

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
Just follow these steps:
1) Turn on SSBM
2) Go to training mode
5) Practice Wavedash!!!

YesSSSS!!!111!!!

Redragon
XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

silversephiroth

Smash Rookie
You intention was fine, but the question was, how to BEST practice wavedashing. (i.e excersises & routines) You answering his question of how to BEST practice wavedashing with "practice wavedashing," probably wasn't as helpful as you thought it would have been, and to him could have come off as sarcastic.
exactly. dont act like you're not trying to be sarcastic. you answered "what is the best way to practice wavedashing?" with "practice wavedashing". plus, you also said "turn on ssbm". im not six years old and im not semi-********, so with all due respect, i'd aprecciate it if you dont act like i am. anybody can get the implications that you were trying to be sarcastic from youre reply, but if you werent then i realize my mistake and i apoligize.

silversephiroth

Smash Rookie
OK, from my above post, it's the same routine as shown in Wak's Advanced Techniques vid. But that's HOW to wavedash. silversephiroth asked how to wavedash fast. Notice he said he knew how to wavedash. So technically, REDRAGON was correct because the best way to wavedash quickly IS to practice. You should eventually know what positions to put the control stick in to reach what distances suit your situation without rolling. You'll also learn the correct timing to fluently wavedash without messing up.

Also, in his first post, he posted "i need to know how to PRACTICE wavedashing, i don't need to know HOW to do it. so please don't waste your time coming in here and telling me how to wavedash." So I guess I made the mistake, not REDRAGON.

So, to practice wavedashing...(quickly)
1) Turn on SSBM
2) Go to training mode
4) Pick Final destination for the stage.
5) Practice wavedash !!!

YesSSSS !!!111!!!
no wii4mii, you didnt. youre information is actually quite helpful, and i appreciate it.

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
You intention was fine, but the question was, how to BEST practice wavedashing.
the best practice to do wavedash is in an actual tournament, pay for the tourny and start doint it like crazy in a tourney match and it will come out after a few tourneys but dont practice...is a waste of time -.-

xeonoex

Smash Journeyman
If you wanna get the basics first, you can figure out the timing best like this.

Assuming you use X to jump and R to shield, the buttons are
X (diagonal on the control stick) R

The diagonal can be put in anytime before you push R. You could even just hold down-right/down-left the control stick and just push XR is you want.

To get wavedashes as fast as possible, try this:
Hit X R quickly. You should jump, then airdodge. You wanna get the airdodge as close to the ground as you can to get the best wavedash. Then hold down and do it. You will wave dash in place.

When you learn to wavedash with other characters, this is the timing that is different. All of the characters have different start up frames when they jump. Samus' is pretty short, but not as short as Foxes. For Fox, you should have to go from X to R quicker, but for a character with a long jump time, you would go slow, like Ganon's jump.

Now to add the airdodge, just jump high into the air. At the peak of your jump, air dodge diagonally down. Just move that lower until you get to the floor and you will be wavedashing.

If you just jump, then you pushed R too soon. If you look like you wavedashed, but stay in the same spot, then you didn't push the control stick in time. If you air dodge, but are too high in the air to slide, just speed up your fingers. If you roll, then you did everything backwards.

And just do you know, If you want the furthest distance for your WD, the control stick shouldn't be perfectly diagonal, it should be a bit higher. If you wanna figure out the pefect spot, start at horizontal and hit X R. Slightly lower it until you actually do a wavedash. If you X R timing is right, then you have it as far as you can get it.
On Final Destination, if you just hold down-right, you will cross the stage with about 9 wavedashes. If you get them as far as they can go, it should take about 5.

Eten

Smash Ace
Wavedash-
1)VS. Mode, plug an extra controller in slot two. This way you can use the c-stick.

2)While you are playing people! You'll learn pretty fast if you get punished each time you mess up and get rewarded when you do something new and cool.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Wavedash-
1)VS. Mode, plug an extra controller in slot two. This way you can use the c-stick.

2)While you are playing people! You'll learn pretty fast if you get punished each time you mess up and get rewarded when you do something new and cool.
It's true, punishment is the best medicine. When i first wanted to get great at wavedashing, i put up a lvl 1 CPU to fight against and i told myself i couldnt hit him, unless i WD'd into a hit. It forced me to wavedash, in order to win. By the time i worked my way up to a lvl 9 CPU with this system and 4 stocked it, i was set.

mach5

Smash Journeyman
we'll heres my way that i learned how to wave dash.

i practiced by

Dash forward
wave dash back

if you can practice being able to move your control stick many different directions between wave dashes you should be able to get use to letting the control stick go back to the middle between every wave dash. then you can wave dash forward and backwards constantly then soon after you can wave dash a certain direction perfectly

Watty

Smash Lord
i practiced by doing it with luigi than doing it with samus

zeddicus55

Smash Rookie
Jump, air dodge diagnally down as soon as possible in the jump. Eventually you'll get it down so fast that you won't leave the ground = wavedash ;P

Final Destination's good for practice

mach5

Smash Journeyman
or practice wave dashing with luigi, then practice with bowser, then after you get the timing of both of them down, you can wavedash with any character in the game.

Echo

Smash Champion
yo dude i may eb krunk as **** rite now but i no god danm wel when i fukkin wavedash with samus i just press diagnoal down and press teh r button i dnot know mann it miight be hard at first but just press the buttons you dont need tonerd the exact frames n **** like ****in losers do just press the buttons that all youdo ull catch on to dat ****n igga dont owrry bout it :)

Zjiin

Smash Master
yo dude i may eb krunk as **** rite now but i no god danm wel when i fukkin wavedash with samus i just press diagnoal down and press teh r button i dnot know mann it miight be hard at first but just press the buttons you dont need tonerd the exact frames n **** like ****in losers do just press the buttons that all youdo ull catch on to dat ****n igga dont owrry bout it :)
Whoa, this is major pro info here. Props to Echo for making all of the other people's post in here pointless with this stroke of genius!

Pratice with agantist link ,& captin falcon
Then when set them on 6 then they should be ready
c. falcon
first when falcon does a falcon kick try to wavedash to move out the way and do the foward smash if falcon hit the wall with the kick move out the way and do the sweep attack when he does a falcon punch side step wave dash and do any attack the up smash use it the you the forwad smash you cant to
link
side smash wave dash to the other side if the second is delayed wavedash to the other side
bomb wave dash or sidestep and catch it and throw back
the bottom smash jump in the air and do a b down attack to snap him out and do a air smash
that all i can think off if it work then hit back

Mars-

Smash Champion
Pratice with agantist link ,& captin falcon
Then when set them on 6 then they should be ready
c. falcon
first when falcon does a falcon kick try to wavedash to move out the way and do the foward smash if falcon hit the wall with the kick move out the way and do the sweep attack when he does a falcon punch side step wave dash and do any attack the up smash use it the you the forwad smash you cant to
link
side smash wave dash to the other side if the second is delayed wavedash to the other side
bomb wave dash or sidestep and catch it and throw back
the bottom smash jump in the air and do a b down attack to snap him out and do a air smash
that all i can think off if it work then hit back
We really need to learn how to invent methods like this guy.

Top Bottom