• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is something you just... don’t get about Super Smash Bros?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Okay, so... not only does Mario start the fight by unnecessarily tripping Yoshi, DK also joins Mario to gang up on him for no reason.

How does Yoshi manage to keep his composure after bull**** like this? Good thing he gets his revenge.

Hopefully this can be an analogy for going from Smash 4 (Mario and DK top/high tier, Yoshi mid tier) to Ultimate :yoshi:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Most of the Fire Emblem characters playable in Smash are from Awakening on, and the only lords in the series who begin with a weapon other than a sword were in games before Awakening.
You've completely forgotten about Hector, Ephraim, and Micaiah...

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
It was probably put in to prevent dash dancing and/or dash attack spamming. Of course, like stale move negation, it didn't turned out well.

Brawl development was pretty loaded for a number of reasons, I can get why there are so many balance issues.
Well, the biggest indicator for Brawl's balance issues is that the game couldn't be patched according to the man himself. It was indeed a very bloated project but still met ends and satisfaction.

Bursss

Smash Rookie
I don't get why they have for fun matches on spectate. 99% of the time they just fart around until sudden death then get killed by bombs. Waste of my hard earned coins!!!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You've completely forgotten about Hector, Ephraim, and Micaiah...
No, he literally just said:
"the only lords in the series who begin with a weapon other than a sword were in games before Awakening." Which includes Hector, Ephraim, and Micaiah.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
No, he literally just said:
"the only lords in the series who begin with a weapon other than a sword were in games before Awakening." Which includes Hector, Ephraim, and Micaiah.
Oops. I must have completely misread the post.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I don't understand it when people absolutely coat their profile with everything about their most wanted. Their profile pic, signature, and everything else. Then when they advocate for said character and suggest they're like the most deserving or something they expect you to take them seriously.

Game Boy Blue

Smash Cadet
Why don't they treat stages like characters and innovate them, rather than consider them a sequal. Examples: Pictochat 2. Game & Watch 2. And a few Mario ones.

Also I wish there was a "Great Fox" stage that visited Sector Z and Corneria. And if hazards are on Venom and the Orbital Assault mission. We don't need 4 separate Great Foxes supposedly representing all of StarFox.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand it when people absolutely coat their profile with everything about their most wanted. Their profile pic, signature, and everything else. Then when they advocate for said character and suggest they're like the most deserving or something they expect you to take them seriously.
Though that's not really Smash related and more community related, I agree that it's a bit annoying when people attempt to artificially force their most wanted character into every conversation and topic.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Why don't they treat stages like characters and innovate them, rather than consider them a sequal. Examples: Pictochat 2. Game & Watch 2. And a few Mario ones.

Also I wish there was a "Great Fox" stage that visited Sector Z and Corneria. And if hazards are on Venom and the Orbital Assault mission. We don't need 4 separate Great Foxes supposedly representing all of StarFox.
I like that. Can be like a transition stage that doesn’t change the main platform you’re on.

Starts in Corneria, travels through the asteroid field, A quick trip through Fortuna (the snow world), then a drastic temperature rise at solar (the sun), sector z would be the next stop with a few missiles instead of arwings, After that we go to Area 6 with more frequent air crafts and the occasional mine, Venom would be the next stop where Andross is the hazard, Then finally You see the star fox team defeat Andross in the background and we take a return trip to Corneria with no hazards.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
just because there a huge fan of a character don't mean that there point of deserving to be invalid. I Like ridley and I think he deserved to be in for an article of reasons on which i don't fell like writing.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Why the community gets so angry at certain characters getting their chance in the game.
Try putting yourself in their place for a moment, some of them have waited since Brawl for their character of choice, even though I don't like highly requested picks like Geno, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Skull Kid, Waluigi, I can understand their frustration at seeing newer picks get in over what they want, especially since Ultimate is shaping fan service in the form of the 2 most requested characters, Ridley and King K. Rool. That being said the community's reaction to picks that make sense like Isabelle, is just not acceptable, yes, Sakurai said he pulled from the ballot for newcomers but he never said that ALL of them would come from there.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Try putting yourself in their place for a moment, some of them have waited since Brawl for their character of choice, even though I don't like highly requested picks like Geno, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Skull Kid, Waluigi, I can understand their frustration at seeing newer picks get in over what they want, especially since Ultimate is shaping fan service in the form of the 2 most requested characters, Ridley and King K. Rool. That being said the community's reaction to picks that make sense like Isabelle, is just not acceptable, yes, Sakurai said he pulled from the ballot for newcomers but he never said that ALL of them would come from there.
You are not wrong, but like you suggest, it's a matter of perspective. I feel that betting all your horses on one character making the cut is going to make you miserable and feeling jealous at other additions isn't healthy. If your enjoyment depends on whether one character, and only one character makes the cut, you will be ruining the whole experience for yourself. I've seen people say that if X character isn't in then they won't touch the game; I would question if they actually cared for the gameplay and the crossover appeal to begin with.

I reject the idea of constantly having a negative attitude about things around me that I can't control and being a pessimist in general, because stuff like that leads to fatalism and radicalism. As corny as it may sound, you need to put up a positive outlook. I for example don't have any personal attachments to series like Animal Crossing, Punch Out, Xenoblade, Pacman or Castlevania, but seeing the additions from those games makes me elated. I even enjoy playing as Little Mac.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Petty moment time: I fully enjoy having a K. Rool avatar (doesn't matter which one, any of them), as a constant reminder for those who told me and other fans that he was never, ever happening and we were delusional and should just give up on the stupid fat ugly irrelevant Rare character.

Did consider swapping to Banjo since he's now my most wanted, buuuuuuuuuuuut... still basking in the post-K. Rool glory almost two months later.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Petty moment time: I fully enjoy having a K. Rool avatar (doesn't matter which one, any of them), as a constant reminder for those who told me and other fans that he was never, ever happening and we were delusional and should just give up on the stupid fat ugly irrelevant Rare character.

Did consider swapping to Banjo since he's now my most wanted, buuuuuuuuuuuut... still basking in the post-K. Rool glory almost two months later.
I feel you, I seriously considered switching my avatar to Isabelle for the same reason after she got revealed. But I have a lot of such characters and I don't like picking faves too much, aside from gameplay.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
You should, and you shouldn't be surprised if the answer were in the negative. If x character isn't in, why not play Melee if one thinks it's better?
I care of both gameplay and my favorite characters, and I'm seriously considering to skip this new Smash if none of my favorite characters will get in.
This because while I care of the gameplay, it's also true that the gameplay always disappointed me since Brawl, to the point that I'm still interested in the series ONLY for the characters and the several games' representation (stages, music, etc.).
If the game has no content that interests me, then I'll probably stay with Melee once again. I got both versions of Smash 4, but after some months I and my friends came back to Melee because we got bored by the gameplay so it would happen with the new Smash as well since the gameplay is similar.

I still don't have a Switch, so far Kirby Star Allies is the only game that interests me, and I don't want to buy it for only one game. Smash is the selling point of the console for me, and characters can be decisive even for getting the console.
(I played Zelda on WiiU and I didn't like it, and Mario Odyssey doesn't convince me, there are some elements that I don't like of it and I don't feel like buying it... heck, even Kirby, I'm only interested in it because they brought back Adeleine, the game seems very bland).

I can see where you come from, though, I don't have any problem with that honestly.
But I can see, in fact, I was used to have a different avatar before; I decided to put Adeleine in the avatar only because I'm the owner of the support thread and the OP looks better if both avatar and signature fit with the content.

Though, I have nothing against people who put their favorite character in their avatar/signature, I mean, they like the character, what's wrong with it?

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I care of both gameplay and my favorite characters, and I'm seriously considering to skip this new Smash if none of my favorite characters will get in.
This because while I care of the gameplay, it's also true that the gameplay always disappointed me since Brawl, to the point that I'm still interested in the series ONLY for the characters and the several games' representation (stages, music, etc.).
If the game has no content that interests me, then I'll probably stay with Melee once again. I got both versions of Smash 4, but after some months I and my friends came back to Melee because we got bored by the gameplay so it would happen with the new Smash as well since the gameplay is similar.

I still don't have a Switch, so far Kirby Star Allies is the only game that interests me, and I don't want to buy it for only one game. Smash is the selling point of the console for me, and characters can be decisive even for getting the console.
(I played Zelda on WiiU and I didn't like it, and Mario Odyssey doesn't convince me, there are some elements that I don't like of it and I don't feel like buying it... heck, even Kirby, I'm only interested in it because they brought back Adeleine, the game seems very bland).

I can see where you come from, though, I don't have any problem with that honestly.
But I can see, in fact, I was used to have a different avatar before; I decided to put Adeleine in the avatar only because I'm the owner of the support thread and the OP looks better if both avatar and signature fit with the content.

Though, I have nothing against people who put their favorite character in their avatar/signature, I mean, they like the character, what's wrong with it?
I support Adeline. I have no issues with other people and I make no ad hominem arguments, my real concern was over a flame war that sprouted in one of my threads that I tried to quench.

I have nothing against anyone simply by their profile picture. It's what they say that I can have a problem with.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
You are not wrong, but like you suggest, it's a matter of perspective. I feel that betting all your horses on one character making the cut is going to make you miserable and feeling jealous at other additions isn't healthy. If your enjoyment depends on whether one character, and only one character makes the cut, you will be ruining the whole experience for yourself. I've seen people say that if X character isn't in then they won't touch the game; I would question if they actually cared for the gameplay and the crossover appeal to begin with.

I reject the idea of constantly having a negative attitude about things around me that I can't control and being a pessimist in general, because stuff like that leads to fatalism and radicalism. As corny as it may sound, you need to put up a positive outlook. I for example don't have any personal attachments to series like Animal Crossing, Punch Out, Xenoblade, Pacman or Castlevania, but seeing the additions from those games makes me elated. I even enjoy playing as Little Mac.
You need to tell that to N. Onymous over on the Lip thread...

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797

Now this is exactly how I feel and I really agree with this, I’d rather support and be happy for fans that got their favorite character in rather than being negative about it, because all that time spent being negative, can be time used having a positive outlook on things.

I also agree with this statement with Isabelle, I was just like, oh cool, she’s in, good for the fans that wanted her, but people really did act like she was the final character revealed and I’ve never seen such an amount of saltiness but people need to think about that there’s gonna be a Final Direct before the game launches and we haven’t seen the blurry or “Spirits Mode” explained and there’s probably a few more characters left that we haven’t seen yet.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122

Then even though my way of thinking is most likely wrong, it's their fault for setting their expectations to the "If my most wanted is not in, I'm not buying the game" level. There are 74 characters if we include echoes as their own, you can't tell me there isn't at least ONE you want to play.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It still feels odd how someone like Isabelle got higher priority than Ashley.

Anyway, I do feel rather sad that transformation Final Smashes are getting the boot. I would think that for certain fighters, they could receive custom Final Smashes, so that way, you could relive their Final Smashes from the previous Smash Bros. titles. However, their power would have to be reduced if you trigger them through the Final Smash meter.

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122

Anyway, I do feel rather sad that transformation Final Smashes are getting the boot. I would think that for certain fighters, they could receive custom Final Smashes, so that way, you could relive their Final Smashes from the previous Smash Bros. titles. However, their power would have to be reduced if you trigger them through the Final Smash meter.
Well, Isabelle became the face of Animal Crossing at a astronomical rate, while Ashley is the second most popular Wario Ware character behind Wario himself. It's not a good comparison, but I am putting the limited amount of knowledge I have on Ashley because I otherwise know next to nothing on her.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Animal Crossing is one of the biggest franchises of Nintendo at this point and Isabelle still shares quite a lot with Villager, making her easier to develop.

EDIT::ultgreninja:'d.

Last edited:

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
My lack of understanding comes more from the community than smash itself but I'll throw them out there anyway,

I don't understand the need for Geno as a newcomer. I only hear smash bros players talk about Geno. It's just so interesting how hyped this character is when he's so obscure. I feel that if he does end up in ultimate, there won't be even near as much hype for him as Ridley, Simon, or K Rool. I just don't get where the fanbase comes from. I was told by my brother that apparently Sakurai said at one point he considered adding geno to a past smash game but couldn't because of licensing issues and people have been hyping over him since. I don't know how much truth there is to that.

My biggest peeve is when I see smash players saying a character should get in because their franchise needs more reps. I'm so sick of seeing this and I'll never understand why people think it's a good idea to add someone in because their franchise needs more characters as opposed to being objective and adding a newcomer because they bring more to the table. When adding a newcomer, it should be about what they add to the game first. The franchise they come from shouldn't have a part in the decision making. This also goes for people who say cut this character because that franchise has too many characters. Again, extremely dumb argument. Thank god Sakurai evidently doesn't decide the roster this way.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
My lack of understanding comes more from the community than smash itself but I'll throw them out there anyway,

I don't understand the need for Geno as a newcomer. I only hear smash bros players talk about Geno. It's just so interesting how hyped this character is when he's so obscure. I feel that if he does end up in ultimate, there won't be even near as much hype for him as Ridley, Simon, or K Rool. I just don't get where the fanbase comes from. I was told by my brother that apparently Sakurai said at one point he considered adding geno to a past smash game but couldn't because of licensing issues and people have been hyping over him since. I don't know how much truth there is to that.

My biggest peeve is when I see smash players saying a character should get in because their franchise needs more reps. I'm so sick of seeing this and I'll never understand why people think it's a good idea to add someone in because their franchise needs more characters as opposed to being objective and adding a newcomer because they bring more to the table. When adding a newcomer, it should be about what they add to the game first. The franchise they come from shouldn't have a part in the decision making. This also goes for people who say cut this character because that franchise has too many characters. Again, extremely dumb argument. Thank god Sakurai evidently doesn't decide the roster this way.
Well, for me at least, the reps argument is less of filling an arbitrary number and more of making as many fans as happy as possible. For instance, take Zelda and FE. Zelda, one of the most popular gaming franchises on the planet, has only gotten 3 links, 2 Zeldas, and a falcon semi-clone, even though there are TONS of characters that people love and have been wanting for years.

Meanwhile, FE, which has sold a tenth of Zelda's sales and thus has a much smaller fan base, has gotten more characters than Zelda. It just seems like Sakurai is favoring FE, especially when the 'no one-offs' argument is in place for Zelda but seems to be completely nonexistent for FE. It just seems like Sakurai favors some series over other, far more popular franchises that would bring just as much, if not more than some less popular ones.

As for Geno, I just want him because his design is rad as heck.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Animal Crossing is one of the biggest franchises of Nintendo at this point and Isabelle still shares quite a lot with Villager, making her easier to develop.

EDIT::ultgreninja:'d.
I guess fighter mechanics could also play a factor. While the Nintendo Switch's hardware may be strong, it's debatable if it would've been able to handle Ashley's mechanics if her attacks possessed any extra effects.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Does anybody remember this?

Seriously, what was the point of this?

Nobody remembers it. No one. It was just THERE. Like a score system. The fact that you can even solo it makes it worse, because you don't need to go online and you can still be "stronger" than that many people. Makes absolutely no sense. This was their version of a rank mode.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well, for me at least, the reps argument is less of filling an arbitrary number and more of making as many fans as happy as possible. For instance, take Zelda and FE. Zelda, one of the most popular gaming franchises on the planet, has only gotten 3 links, 2 Zeldas, and a falcon semi-clone, even though there are TONS of characters that people love and have been wanting for years.

Meanwhile, FE, which has sold a tenth of Zelda's sales and thus has a much smaller fan base, has gotten more characters than Zelda. It just seems like Sakurai is favoring FE, especially when the 'no one-offs' argument is in place for Zelda but seems to be completely nonexistent for FE. It just seems like Sakurai favors some series over other, far more popular franchises that would bring just as much, if not more than some less popular ones.

Sakurai only uses 'no one-offs' thing for side characters, not main characters. Ganondorf got in Melee despite making only one appearence, since he was one of the main characters of Ocarina of Time.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman

Well yes you're right. There are a few Zelda characters that have been requested for years that we've never gotten like Skullkid, Impa, Midna, etc. I'm not sure why FE gets so many characters. Maybe because FE has such a huge following in Japan? Maybe FE is more popular than Zelda over there? I don't know. I'm not sure how he decides that. FE feels like it has more of a presence in smash because it has the most semi-clones and echoes. And since mostly everyone in FE wields a sword, it's super easy to add them in to the game. That would be my guess as to why there are so many. I do wish characters like Skullkid, Impa, or Midna made their way in. Zelda is full of good choices. But my reasoning for adding them in is because those characters have been long requested and not just to give the Zelda franchise more presense. I do see what you mean though.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Sakurai only uses 'no one-offs' thing for side characters, not main characters. Ganondorf got in Melee despite making only one appearence, since he was one of the main characters of Ocarina of Time.
Even then, is it really that much to ask for Zelda to get just one unique character after 17 years?

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Well yes you're right. There are a few Zelda characters that have been requested for years that we've never gotten like Skullkid, Impa, Midna, etc. I'm not sure why FE gets so many characters. Maybe because FE has such a huge following in Japan? Maybe FE is more popular than Zelda over there? I don't know. I'm not sure how he decides that. FE feels like it has more of a presence in smash because it has the most semi-clones and echoes. And since mostly everyone in FE wields a sword, it's super easy to add them in to the game. That would be my guess as to why there are so many. I do wish characters like Skullkid, Impa, or Midna made their way in. Zelda is full of good choices. But my reasoning for adding them in is because those characters have been long requested and not just to give the Zelda franchise more presense. I do see what you mean though.
I agree, I just use reps argument as a way of allowing as many people as possible. When DK and Metroid were massively underepped before, I didn't want more characters just to reach a quota, but because I knew the characters they'd add to those series would be some of the coolest and most unique characters in Nintendo history, at least to me

Sin Slash

Smash Rookie
:ultganondorf: (and possibly :ultwolf:) still don't have their own unique victory fanfare, while every other villain does

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Why Paper Mario isn't a character yet.
Lets be honest, he'd just make him like Mario.

Look at the Links, who all have LOTS of possible items and weaponry from their seperate games at their disposal and like usual, he just copies and pastes, and adds very little changes.

See: almost all of our Sword Emblem characters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom