• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is better, Wii-mote or GC controller?

raffae

Smash Rookie
Just wondering what those who already have brawl like better and which one is better to use.

illphil

Smash Apprentice
Wii-mote is defnitely the worst choice. If you're referring to wiimote+nunchuck, the main difference is index button for B, otherwise the other buttons can be changed to match GC more.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
GC controller is really really nice.

You'll already be decent at brawl if you were good at melee.

The wii mote takes alot of time to get use to. I don't like it at all.

Cepheus

Smash Cadet
I think most people will use the NGC controller but the wii-mote will still be popular since everyone with a wii will have it.

Heroic

Smash Cadet
Wiimote is the worst control scheme ever. Completely unplayable and not fun. There are some things you can't even do with the wiimote, like an up-tilt.

streetballa2

Smash Rookie
wiimote is stupid if u havnt played melee for the apst 6 yrs then i guess use the wiimote + nunchuck

lChaosl

Smash Cadet
I'll be using a GC controller simply because its what I have been using for the past 7 years.

Yangtze

Smash Rookie
well i never played melee cuz gamecube sucked compared to ps2 so ive never used gamecube contrllers to smash. i feel really comfortable using the wii mote and nunchuk cuz of that. and it's a nice configuration to sit back and relax with

rajendra82

Smash Rookie
I like the Wiimote nunchuck combination better than the wireless Gamecube controller I started out with. I found the analog stick on my wireless Gamecube pad to be quite twitchy, and controller was a less comfortable for longer sessions. The Wiimote + Nunchuck scheme just seems easier to manage cause the hand are held in lot a more comfortable apart position. Plus the shake smash just feels so much more natural to me than the C-stick.

Rash

Smash Ace
I don't mind either setup, to be honest.

Like I said in the other thread, the Wiimote/Nunchuk combination is completely viable and effective if you map the buttons the right way, and to your liking. It's hard to detach myself from my Wavebird, but at the same time, I can easily just grab the Wiimote/Nunchuk and play without much problem. It takes getting used to, but it's a far better option than just the Wiimote on its side.

DarumaBlue

Smash Rookie
Rajendra,

Does that mean nobody else uses a regular Hard tilt + A to do a Smash? I had always thought the C-stick was a quick alternative. I must be way out of the loop...

Anyway, I use the GC controller. The feel from Melee carries over very well, plus I have a controller with a lot of legend, legacy and experience already ingrained. =)

milind4

Smash Apprentice
Wiimote is the worst control scheme ever. Completely unplayable and not fun. There are some things you can't even do with the wiimote, like an up-tilt.
i have a gc and i tried both gc and wiimote, and i have to say that for some strange reason, i really like the wiimote more. it just fits me. oh, and it is possible to do an uptilt, i've done it multiple times...

Sinan421

Smash Rookie
I personally prefer the GC controller, maybe because I'm a melee veteran. I and most of the people I know, prefer the GC controller a lot more

Gorgonian

Smash Rookie
I was used to the GC controller from years of Melee, but I always knew I would rather play with the wiimote+nunchuk. I've never even gone back to the GC controller because when I first tried Brawl with the W+N controller, I was already faster and more accurate than I ever was with the GC controller. It just feels natural and easier to me. I will never use a GC controller for smash again.

rajendra82

Smash Rookie
Rajendra,

Does that mean nobody else uses a regular Hard tilt + A to do a Smash? I had always thought the C-stick was a quick alternative. I must be way out of the loop...

Anyway, I use the GC controller. The feel from Melee carries over very well, plus I have a controller with a lot of legend, legacy and experience already ingrained. =)
I was not mentioning that way, because it is the same for Gamecube or Wiimote+Nunchuck method of control. I brought up the shake smash because it's unique to the new control scme, and I am liking it better than the old C-Stick.

iluvwobbuffet

Smash Cadet
Once I tried the Classic Controller, I couldn't go back. I prefer it over both.

If you don't have that option, or would rather not spend the money on one, then I would recomend the GC controller. The Wiimote alone is terrible, although I've yet to try it with the Nunchuk.

=^_^=

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
If you have a dog that likes running around, then the Wii-mote is better. I was just playing(with the GC controller) and my dog ran by... tripped on the cord.....and pulled my Wii off of the table onto the floor breaking the little flap the covers the Gamecube control section..... luckily thats all that seems broken....... but **** that pissed me off.

GC control FTL.

Firebert

Smash Ace
If you have a dog that likes running around, then the Wii-mote is better. I was just playing(with the GC controller) and my dog ran by... tripped on the cord.....and pulled my Wii off of the table onto the floor breaking the little flap the covers the Gamecube control section..... luckily thats all that seems broken....... but **** that pissed me off.

GC control FTL.
That's why I use a Wavebird.
I highly recommend using the GC controls because it is useful to not have to learn a new way to play and a new set of controls. And I just find it much more comfortable.

Ichida

Smash Ace
Wiimote failed me in battle too many times. Ended up buying a new GC controller, then resumed asskicking. The C-stick is Godsend. :)

SeraXI

Smash Rookie
I really like the wiimote+nunchuck but the lack of a 2nd analog stick might drive me to go buy a wavebird. The feel of the wiimote+nunchuck is just awesome, and great for long play sessions since you can basically hold your hands anyway you want. The classic controller I can't stand. It has no shape to it at all.

ily924

Smash Rookie
i use all of them but the gc is the easiest...but wii mote + nunchuck is wireless and pretty easy too

All_Characters

Smash Apprentice
The main reason why I think that the GC controller is better is because it has a C-Stick, and also because with the Wiimote and Nunchuk, it is very difficult to jump, because the same finger is used for jump, and sheild. So when i jump, i have to press up on the joystick, which is 100% lame.

And don't get me started on the wii-mote alone.

rajendra82

Smash Rookie
The main reason why I think that the GC controller is better is because it has a C-Stick, and also because with the Wiimote and Nunchuk, it is very difficult to jump, because the same finger is used for jump, and sheild. So when i jump, i have to press up on the joystick, which is 100% lame.

And don't get me started on the wii-mote alone.
I am not sure why you say that the same finger is used on the Nunchuk for the C and Z buttons, making it hard to use that control scheme. The way I hold the Nunchuk, my thumb is on the stick, the index finger is resting on C and the middle finger is on the Z button. Very comfortable for me with either buttons readily available to jump and shield (or however you may have them mapped).

I also find the Wiichuk scheme much more comfortable to use for extended periods because my wrists are in a neutral position with the palms facing each other and the controllers tilted inwards. When trying to grasp the Gamecube controller, the wrists have to rotate slightly so that both palms are facing a little more upwards. The angle of wrists has basically to conform to the controller in this case and not the other way around. Hold your hands out in front of you and see how you would normally hold them up without any tension if you were not holding anything, and then hold either controller, and you will see what I mean. The lack of C stick on the Wiichuk scheme is a small drawback but shake smashes can overcome that. The taunts however are pretty much unreachable because how far away the 1 and 2 buttons are, but you can map those to the D-Pad if you have to have them.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
I am not sure why you say that the same finger is used on the Nunchuk for the C and Z buttons, making it hard to use that control scheme. The way I hold the Nunchuk, my thumb is on the stick, the index finger is resting on C and the middle finger is on the Z button. Very comfortable for me with either buttons readily available to jump and shield (or however you may have them mapped).

I also find the Wiichuk scheme much more comfortable to use for extended periods because my wrists are in a neutral position with the palms facing each other and the controllers tilted inwards. When trying to grasp the Gamecube controller, the wrists have to rotate slightly so that both palms are facing a little more upwards. The angle of wrists has basically to conform to the controller in this case and not the other way around. Hold your hands out in front of you and see how you would normally hold them up without any tension if you were not holding anything, and then hold either controller, and you will see what I mean. The lack of C stick on the Wiichuk scheme is a small drawback but shake smashes can overcome that. The taunts however are pretty much unreachable because how far away the 1 and 2 buttons are, but you can map those to the D-Pad if you have to have them.
No c-stick is a Small draw back? wow, you have no idea what you are saying do you?. Rotated wrists?What the hell are you talking about.

rajendra82

Smash Rookie
No c-stick is a Small draw back? wow, you have no idea what you are saying do you?. Rotated wrists?What the hell are you talking about.
If you say controller X has more buttons and one less stick than controller Y, that is an indisputable statement of fact. But whether the C-stick or the waggle are better for doing the quick smashes and what is a comfortable holding position are subjective opinions. Is it written somewhere that I must have the same opinion as you. Just beause it is different doesn't make it any less valid.

Edit: Of course it is entirely possible I don't know what I am talking about. If you think that lack of a C-Stick is a really big drawback please elaborate. I do own two cube controllers, and if it will give me a lot of advantage because of using them, I am willing to put up with the discomfort.

As to neutral or natural wrist position, read this link:
http://ergonomics.about.com/od/glossary/g/defnaturalwrist.htm

or take this advice from the American Society of Hand Therapists:
"Tell your child to use a neutral grip when holding the controller. Try to keep the wrist in a neutral (i. e. unbent) position, and make sure you’re not hunching forward towards the screen. Keep good posture. Holding the game pad near your chest may be a natural reaction when the game play gets going , but keep it closer to your to your lap means less work against gravity and less stress to the muscles."

With the Wiichuk I can get there easily because the wrists are always naturally neutral, but not so with the Gamecube contoller.

Steelclash

Smash Rookie
Economically speaking, I prefer GC controller, because it's battery life is 4-5x better then the wiimote.

Tohoya

Smash Rookie
I prefer the Wiimote + nunchuck because I don't C-stick, and prefer the index finger for B and the shield/roll button being more accessible, plus a better analog stick.

T2Russo

Smash Rookie
I've had a GC since the day it came out, same for Melee, but I still find the Wii-mote better. I like the fact that I can set it up so that each finger is only in charge of one button, but I do miss C-sticking for quick smashes. However, the fact that I can short hop attack faster is really nice, because my thumb never leaves the A button on the Wii-mote, while its a fast trigger pull to jump. You can also switch between A and B attacks faster, as you don't have to move fingers, which is really evident for Marth when switching between Dancing Blade combos and regular attacks.

OnettSphere

Smash Cadet
Im a Ness player and for some reason, the Wiimote and Nunchuck work great for me
Yes, I did play Melee alot
its just I wanted to try the Wiimote and It ended up feeling good in my hand so I kept it
But I do go back everyonce in a while and use a Gamecube Controller

Top Bottom