• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if Nintendo did this?

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
If they provide, not Sakurai but Nintendo, an update to Brawl later on that allows DLC characters to be installed on your Wii, and after you buy them, you're free to play with them on your Wii, but if you want to go online with them, Nintendo enforces Pay2Play, and you must pay lets say 50 Wii points in order for them to transfer the character data over to the opposing Wiis so they can fight against your characters.

How would you feel about this if, and only if this happened? Would you pay to go online with these optional characters?

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
More characters=More better opponents with that typical opponent and yes i would for anything under 100 wii points

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Awww...isnt that cute...

BUT IT'S WRONG!

-THOR-

Smash Rookie
I don't know if its even possible on the wii but what your saying just sounds like to much work to be plausible.

6footninja

Smash Ace
Nah, I like the detail in your post, but it wouldnt happen.
But, to answer your question, if it was possible, I probably would, at least eventually

WarxePB

Smash Ace
Sakurai has already stated in an interview on IGN that downloadable characters are not planned for Brawl. There's a slim chance that Nintendo will go over Sakurai and release a patch via WiiConnect24, but I don't think they would do that.

And Pay2Play is supposed to be shown on the box via an orange Wi-Fi sticker (as far as I remember). I haven't heard of Brawl having one of those, so I doubt there will be P2P content in Brawl.

So no, I doubt it'll happen.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The business aspect has a couple of big problems with that.

1. Sakauri and his team don't directly work for Nintendo, as a result even though Nintendo publishes the game, it doesn't necessarily give them a right to alter anything without permission from the development team. Which is hard to say as far as that is concerned

2. Once again it the general issue is the limiations of the Wii Hardware.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Roy and Mewtwo were not coded?

Oh well. However, I don't think it is going to happen, unless something like a virtual memory thing comes out (which I highly doubt it will happen).

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
50 wii pointes isnt that much, but it would still be annoying, and more annoying if you had to do it every single online match

Aguasatori

Smash Journeyman
I would pay. But it depends what characters I would get and how many times i would have to pay.

However, unfortunately, I consider this unlikely =/

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I'd be happy about the inclusion, but MAD that they tried to screw us over like that.

It won't happen though.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
pretty sure it will not happen, Sakurai already said no to DLC once, i think if he thought there might be a possibility of it in the future he would have hinted at it in his interview when he deconfirmed DLC.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
I guess you aren't fimiliar with the Wii's hardware limitations, are you?

This won't happen. If you want to know why, search the net (Or smashboards for that matter).
What limitations, the Wii is very much capable of DLC, Nintendo even announced it themselves.

I don't know if its even possible on the wii but what your saying just sounds like to much work to be plausible.
It's a major company, I've seen homebrew hackers do more than this, heck the main PSP homebrew hacker, Dark_AleX, has found a way to hack every Sony firmware, combine it with the hackable 1.50, and added a ton of bonus features, newest one being the ability to update the hacked firmwares over Wi-Fi. If a hacker could pull this off, a major company, one of the largest and wealthiest in Japan could easily hire a team to figure it out.

Why would I pay for someone else to get a character I already paid to download?
It's not really paying for the other guy to have it, just to stream the other guy the data over the server, so he can play against your added character, probably only if the other person doesn't have the extra character. They don't get to keep it.

pretty sure it will not happen, Sakurai already said no to DLC once, i think if he thought there might be a possibility of it in the future he would have hinted at it in his interview when he deconfirmed DLC.
He kinda hinted by giving a lame excuse of no hard drive for DLC, even though large DLC was already announced by Activision, and Nintendo announced it itself 2 days later at the same convention.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Sakurai has already stated in an interview on IGN that downloadable characters are not planned for Brawl. There's a slim chance that Nintendo will go over Sakurai and release a patch via WiiConnect24, but I don't think they would do that.

And Pay2Play is supposed to be shown on the box via an orange Wi-Fi sticker (as far as I remember). I haven't heard of Brawl having one of those, so I doubt there will be P2P content in Brawl.

So no, I doubt it'll happen.
True, Pay2Play is supposed to be on the box, but with the Wii's ability to update games, they might make this change, but yeah, it's a low chance.

That's not the point of this thread though, not asking if it will happen, just what if it happened. Would you guys pay, I might for a few matches every once in a while like in an arcade match, but those 50 cents add up....

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
I hope theres DCL but unlikly
Again, not what the thread is about...

This is just something to pass the time till tomorrow, I'm just curious if Nintendo's Pay2Play would work the way it sounds like it's supposed to, either this way or monthly subscriptions. Just wondering if even on a game as popular as Smash if this system would even work...

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
50 wii points=50c

i think it would be a little more than that
Any more than that, and people might not want to pay. To pay a $1, or more, that would get ridiculous to have to pay that each and every time you wanted to play online with a DLC character.

pirkid

Smash Lord
Any more than that, and people might not want to pay. To pay a $1, or more, that would get ridiculous to have to pay that each and every time you wanted to play online with a DLC character.
You mean, pay each time you want to go online?

HAH.

That sum would reach far too high for anyone to consider using online, effectively ruining Wi-Fi.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
You mean, pay each time you want to go online?

HAH.

That sum would reach far too high for anyone to consider using online, effectively ruining Wi-Fi.
Like I stated earlier, it's like playing in an arcade, that's why I said 50. It might be upsetting, but it might solve the problem of playing online with DLC characters...

But thanks for the opinion, I honestly think the same, but from a business standpoint, I wouldn't put it past the big N.

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
So, we know it's possible.

If they tagged a price tag to the characters, like you're suggesting, then Ninty would benefit from "a business perspective."

Now all that's in question are the following:
1) Why would Sakurai be against DLC?
2) Time/resources (time not being the major issue, and resources being the greater issue. MUCH greater)

tbh, It's going to happen sooner or later. Demand will be too high for no action to be taken, unless they make a 4th smash game. Which by the way, IS pretty much the same thing as DLC if you slant it that way.
----------------------------
back on topic,
Yes, I would buy a character and pay to have him. No, I would not pay wii points every time I'd play online, but rather, when the characters come out, there can be free downloads for the info but not for unlocking the character. If you don't have the latest updates, you can't play online.

Top Bottom