• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS What if Melee stages was exclusives on the 3DS version?

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
I am constantly re-watching the SSB Direct (because, damn, that was quality content in that video :p ) and noticed something interesting related to the confirmation of past stages in both games.

They showcased the Melee stage Jungle Japes in the 3DS version and the Brawl stage Halberd in the Wii U version, but they also said that every 3DS stage will feature 2 songs per stage and the Wii U version will bring back the My Music function from Brawl. This thing made me think about the possibility of the Melee stages being exclusive to the 3DS version while Brawl stages are going to be exclusive on the Wii U version, since in the original SSBM there were some stages featuring 2 songs.

The reason for this topic is because if my theory become true, there will be many people upset about this, since SSBM is still a popular game even nowadays, especially in the competitive scene which is, obviously, giving preference for the Wii U version.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think I've heard Sakurai talking once about how he had trouble porting certain Brawl stages to the 3DS version or something along those lines, so I think he's at least planning to port certain stages from each game to each version.

Though I guess it may be possible that he decided to have the Melee stages exclusively for the 3DS version whereas he includes the Brawl stages for the Wii U version.

Guess this is one of those things we would just have to wait and see about.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I don't think the music thing has anything to do with this. If anything, I could see it just being "only Melee stages are on 3DS" but not "Melee stages are only on 3DS".

I imagine it's harder to port Brawl stages to 3DS. Sakurai actually said he didn't think it was possible to do it and do justice. Personally, I think the 3DS should get N64 stages, but that's just me.

The Wii U version could feasibly have both (Brawl/Melee), though.

Regardless, I mean, Melee players (as in, those still playing it constantly) are going to want to play Melee anyway. SSBU could have nothing but Melee stages and that wouldn't be the thing to bring them over to play it. It's about the gameplay, first and foremost.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
At the very least I would not be surprised at ALL if they brought Temple to the Wii U version.

Last edited:

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Yeah, I was thinking Brawl stages would only be on Wii U and Melee stages only on 3DS. Maybe they'll even have stages from Smash 64 on 3DS as well.

R0Y

Smash Master
That would suck, Melee had a lot of great stages, and I mean, Temple on 3DS?

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
How about this idea?:

The 3DS version can get 3 N64 stages and 3 Melee stages.

The Wii U version can get 3 Melee stages and 3 Brawl stages.

R0Y

Smash Master
How about this idea?:

Nah, Wii U version costs 50% more, should have more content and not just be prettier.

Last edited:

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
also, 6 stages seems kind of small, I'm pretty sure brawl had more melee stages... also yeah, Wii U version can definitely afford to have more.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Really? It'll cost 50% more?

Bad marketing on Nintendo's part, considering how poorly the Wii U has been doing.
Well, it's standard for 3DS games to cost $40 and Wii U games to cost $60, it might not help the Wii U version but it wouldn't make much sense to have it be a $40 game.

R0Y

Smash Master
Wii U version will inevitably have more content.

3DS version helps justify budget :p

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
Well, it's standard for 3DS games to cost $40 and Wii U games to cost $60, it might not help the Wii U version but it wouldn't make much sense to have it be a $40 game.
Obviously, but think about it.

The Wii U version will be released later AND will cost more.

Which version is more compelling to buy?

R0Y

Smash Master

Wii U, for various reasons:

-3DS games are cheaper than HD games for obvious reasons.
-Will almost certainly have more content besides the already known extra music and despite Smash Run
-More trophies?
-More stages?
-Only version with adventure mode?
-No way it doesn't have at least 1 mode of its own with Smash Run on 3DS.
-more stable online matches (optional Ethernet + closer to Wi-Fi access points)
-local play up to 4 people 1 disc
-HD graphics compared to 3DS 240p (which almost necessitates the optional black outlines)
-Far superior effects
-Completely different engine
-Namco is clearly putting more effort into the Wii U version and Sakurai's pics of the day and the Directs have focused more on it.

3DS version pays for the budget IMO, Namco can't be cheap, but if it didn't exist, I bet Smash U would already be out. If the 3DS version weren't coming out first I'd probably have skipped it.

To the casual player with a 3DS and no Wii U though, yeah, I think it hurts the appeal of getting a Wii U for Smash. Think of it like Mario Kart 7 compared to 8 though, except with the same roster.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
That would suck, Melee had a lot of great stages, and I mean, Temple on 3DS?
Why not?

3DS is actually handling a Mute City-like stage and an auto-scrolling stage, and the Smash Run map is GINORMOUS!!!

I cannot be that negative about the 3DS version because a handheld Smash Bros. was a request from many people since the GBA era. I'm huge hyped for this version, it's going to be a day one pick for me, specially after the announcement of Smash Run mode.

Only version with adventure mode?
If you are suggesting a Melee-like Adventure Mode, the 3DS version also can handle this.

Completely different engine
Judging by the SSB Direct gameplays, the physics engine looks the same.

And I'll be glad if in both 3DS and Wii U Pro Controller I being able to configure the D-Pad for the smash attacks, it will like playing both versions with the exact same button configuration!

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Why not?

3DS is actually handling a Mute City-like stage and an auto-scrolling stage, and the Smash Run map is GINORMOUS!!!

I cannot be that negative about the 3DS version because a handheld Smash Bros. was a request from many people since the GBA era. I'm huge hyped for this version, it's going to be a day one pick for me, specially after the announcement of Smash Run mode.

If you are suggesting a Melee-like Adventure Mode, the 3DS version also can handle this.
Didn't say it couldn't handle Temple, just that it'd stink on the small screen.

Again, didn't say 3DS couldn't handle it, but If 3DS got its own mode, Wii U will.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
I think the 3DS version should have more single-player options, simply because is a handheld game, the game needs to take advantage of its portability.

Smash Bros. for 3DS will gonna sell a crapload of copies, not just because 3DS' install base is bigger (is nearly outselling the SNES, actually) but because a series of reasons:

>Fans was already requesting a handheld Smash Bros. since a long time;
>The mere idea of being able to play Smash Bros. anywhere is tremendously attractive;
>Game modes that only were possible through split screen are now possible (Smash Run <3 );
>Exclusive content (stages, music, trophies, etc.);
>Connectivity with the Wii U version;

I'm going to buy both versions, because I'm a Smash fan, of course. But denying the imminent success of the 3DS version at this point in time is just a waste of time.

BossMewtwo

Smash Rookie
This would be a cool idea but I like the brawl stages also and I also want to play them on the 3DS version. It would be cool if Rainbow Cruise was on the 3DS.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I think the 3DS version should have more single-player options, simply because is a handheld game, the game needs to take advantage of its portability.

Smash Bros. for 3DS will gonna sell a crapload of copies, not just because 3DS' install base is bigger (is nearly outselling the SNES, actually) but because a series of reasons:

>Fans was already requesting a handheld Smash Bros. since a long time;
>The mere idea of being able to play Smash Bros. anywhere is tremendously attractive;
>Game modes that only were possible through split screen are now possible (Smash Run <3 );
>Exclusive content (stages, music, trophies, etc.);
>Connectivity with the Wii U version;

I'm going to buy both versions, because I'm a Smash fan, of course. But denying the imminent success of the 3DS version at this point in time is just a waste of time.
Ok, cmon now, your kind of contradicting yourself here.
Smash 3DS doesnt need anything extra. And you want to know why? Because its a Portable Smash Bros! Thats enough to make it sell well over 1 million units in a few weeks. Of course, anything extra (Smash Run) is always a nice bonus, but Smash 3DS doesnt need any more content, simply because its a portable Smash Bros. Its probably the reason why its coming out first. Theres no need to add a bunch of material because if anything is guaranteed, its that this game will sell; fast.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491

Are you seriously suggesting they should sell Super Smash Bros. for Wii U at a budget price? This isn't Game & Wario.

I guess nobody's going to buy Mario Kart 8, since they can just get Mario Kart 7 for cheaper, or they have had it for a few years.

This is also under the assumption someone has a 3DS and/or doesn't want to buy a Wii U. If someone has just a Wii U, they're not going to be buying the 3DS version.

Everyone was waiting for the Wii U version, not the 3DS version. They're going to have different features, different stages, and different purposes and cater to different parts of the community.

Brisingr

Smash Rookie
NNID
tiagozanchi
3DS FC
1650-1471-3712
I think they will probably include Great Bay for the 3DS version instead of Temple.
I agree with you. And since they are going to announce MM3D in E3 2014, that makes a lot of sense. :awesome:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'm Hoping for Dreamland 64 and Hyrule Castle 64 on the 3ds version.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Title needs to be "What if Melee stages were exclusives on the 3DS version?"

Wouldn't be surprised if that happens.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
If we only get Melee stages, I'd like to see Fountain of Dreams, Stadium 1, and Fourside make a return.

Khao

Smash Lord
Why not?

3DS is actually handling a Mute City-like stage and an auto-scrolling stage, and the Smash Run map is GINORMOUS!!!!
It's not about being powerful enough to handle it, but about how much the camera would zoom out, characters would be like 10x4 pixel blobs when there's characters on opposite ends of the stage.

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
That would be bad, because i like brawl stages more :D
Honestly you have nothing to go by here, there is no evidence of this happening whatsoever. Guess we will find out at e3.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
How about this idea?:

...that's overall almost as many past stages as Brawl. why

Frankly, I'm hoping the Wii U sees a mixture of all but mostly Brawl's experimental stages while the 3DS version gets flooded in Melee/64.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
That would be really nice, imo. I like the Melee stages far more than the Brawl ones. I would love if the 3DS version get a few stages from the original game also.

I just want Poké Floats back, on the 3DS version.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I thought it was confirmed Wii U is getting brawl stages and 3DS is getting melee ones.. especially since 3ds stages only have 2 songs each and wii u has the my music thing.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Nah, Wii U version costs 50% more, should have more content and not just be prettier.
**** that. The 3DS version shouldn't be gimped with less content just because the Wii U version cost more.

If the Wii U version get Melee AND Brawl stages, so should the 3DS version, etc. Ugh, this mindset of the 3DS version having to be inferior is infuriating.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
If a Melee stages returns for the Wii U version, they should be remaked, that way it would fit better the new artstyle imo.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
**** that. The 3DS version shouldn't be gimped with less content just because the Wii U version cost more.

If the Wii U version get Melee AND Brawl stages, so should the 3DS version, etc. Ugh, this mindset of the 3DS version having to be inferior is infuriating.
It's logical from a business and marketing perspective that it should get less beyond obviously lower-quality textures and models. Also, how is it not already the inferior version...? Are you among the "3DS should get a GC controller adapter too" people?

Nintendo is a business, which is probably the only reason a portable version exists honestly.

Really for fans, it makes no sense to make the more expensive version equal in content. Nintendo obviously wants you to a buy a Wii U and the more expensive, leading version. If you don't want to, then that's tough for you.They shouldn't gimp the WIi U version to make it equal with the 3DS version, that mindset is infuriating.

...and it already seems to have happened with Olimar's Pikmin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom