• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if matches were 3 stocks?

dragnet4000

Smash Apprentice
All I'm saying is that it should stick to four, not that anything amazing can't happen on the third stock. It just happened to work, and that's why people don't stray very far from the 4-stock/8-minute rule. That's what I think, anyway.

Purple

Hi guys!
You're right, it just happened to work. But what if three stocks happened to work? Two stocks would seem weird, four would seem like too much. It's just what EC and WC agreed on, so there was no reason for any third party to wonder "hey, why not three stocks?"

dragnet4000

Smash Apprentice
The what-if's could go on forever, and for a good reason. We should just take what we have and run with it.
What if the wombo combo didn't happen?
What if M2K didn't make his comeback against Shiz?
We won't know why things worked out as they did.
All the same, none of these facts take away the fact that melee is an awesome game.

Purple

Hi guys!
What would happen dragnet, is that we would have different combos in place of them. You can't use the fact that those particular combos wouldn't exist to say 4-stock is better, 3-stock could have those same amazing combos.

dragnet4000

Smash Apprentice
What would happen dragnet, is that we would have different combos in place of them. You can't use the fact that those particular combos wouldn't exist to say 4-stock is better, 3-stock could have those same amazing combos.
That's true. But today, the Wombo Combo exists, M2K is the greatest, and maybe sometime in the distant future (no sarcasm intended), we might switch from four to three. Until then, enjoy the combos, and love the commentary. XD

AXE 09

Smash Master
Well at some point the number of stocks changes the game drastically. At 99 stocks you've now made endurance a large part of the metagame. This would make melee more tennis like, in that a grand finals event (2-3 sets, with 5 matches 99 stock) would be an all day event. This introduces new tactics based around tiring your opponent.

But fighting games, and melee isn't tennis. They're fast and action packed, and not boring like golf.

On the more stocks = better angle, what about a 2 stock best of 7? That's 14 stocks which is 2 more than the current 4 stock best of 3. I guess what I'm trying to understand is how the game changes when you have many smaller matches compared to fewer larger matches. I mean theoretically people could play best of 1, 12 stock matches, but that has stage fairness problems.
There's a big different between having one 4 stock match, and having four 1 stock matches. I guess the biggest difference is that in the event of 1 stock matches, the winner's damage will reset back to 0%. So imagine if you are in a 4 stock match and your opponent kills you first, then his damage goes back to 0% (still with 4 stocks) and you now have 3 stocks. What I'm saying is that the less amount of stocks we start out with, the more dramatic of an effect this will have. The reason why it's not a good idea to have more stocks is because of time constrants. Obviously a 99 stock match would take way too long. 4 stocks take about 3 or 4 minutes on average, and that seems to be a reasonable time average per match.

I'm probably not making any sense -_- Anyways, I just feel like the more stocks that we start out with, the more likely the better player will win (which is how it should be). This is just what I think. Only just my opinion. So please don't attack me for saying all this lol. I'm just providing my input.

THeDarKnesS

Smash Journeyman
Statistically, the better player will excel at longer matches. 10 stocks 1 round would often be won by the player who is better.Its less likely to be swayed by minor factors that can swing a 4 or 3 stock game.

Better=the safer options, avoiding damage.

Signia

Smash Lord
wtf, these arguments against 3 or 5 stock matches are just ********.

"4 stocks is good because everything else doesn't feel right"

Why do you THINK anything else doesn't feel right? A few of you are just leaving it at that, so that makes me think you aren't even considering that 4 stocks feels right because that's the way you usually play.

"if it weren't for 4 stocks, amazing combos/combacks that we have seen would have never happened"

Lol, first of all, so what? we're trying to find the best way of testing our skills against other players in tournament, and are speculating as to why 4 stocks was chosen and why it is the best way. If we can't come up with a good reason to choose 4 stocks over any other number, it's safe to conclude that we just decided on the number without any more consideration than "it just feels right." Of course, that's not enough justification when we're dealing with srs business (money's on the line). Amazing combos/comebacks are completely irrelevant.

Now, obviously, in all likelihood, you'd have other amazing combos, but one would never think that a small change in stock count which doesn't have anything to do with combos or comebacks (I'll explain in a sec) would cause there to be nothing similar. That would be like saying if any one factor that is irrelevant to the cause is different, then the effect is different. Like saying any small change in the past automatically causes negative effects cuz lolz the present is the best possible.

"you don't get amazing comebacks with anything other than 4 stocks"

or

"it would be harder/easier to comeback with anything other than 4 stocks" (this is actually correct but not for any reason that anyone's discussed)

you gotta be ****tin me. Obviously you would still have comebacks. Consider a ruleset where a set consists of two BO3s with 2 stocks. Consider any ****ing ruleset, do I even have to explain this? Whenever you have a lead, you can have a comeback. A change in stock count would not change this fact, so this argument is also irrelevant. More stocks would allow for larger leads, therefore less but more amazing comebacks. Less stocks would result in more but less amazing combacks.

"longer matches allow for a more accurate test of skill."

This is true. But we're not talking about match length, we're talking about stock count. To isolate the stock count variable and keep match length controlled you'd just have more rounds with fewer stocks or less rounds with more stocks. This also isolates what we're discussing from the time constraints issue (well, almost).

Okay, now those are out the way we can finally discuss what for some reason nobody has mentioned, which is what the effect the stock count has on the match. I thought that was the original question! The stock count controls round length. Since we play in sets under time constraints, the round length controls how many times large leads are reset. Whether the first match is a JV5 or a close match, the score is still 1-0.

This has serious implications. The rules of the tournament are affecting the gravity of any lead. As a TO, you control the degree of slippery slope in the game! That's probably better left to the game designers, who know more about the game than you, and if you add too much or too little slippery slope, you could **** up the game! Too little slippery slope means there's no advantage to the guy in the lead, and a comeback could occur at any moment. This is Brawl's problem. There is very little slippery slope in that a hit in Brawl doesn't increase your chances of another hit as often as in Melee. Low slippery slope makes decisions feel less meaningful as there will be no long term consequences for successes or failures. It makes you feel like you always have a fighting a chance -- but never the security of a lead. High slippery slope helps keep the guy in the lead in the lead. Comebacks are more rare and more amazing as a result. Decisions at first are very meaningful, as the any mistake will have dire consequences later on. This is evident in Starcraft, where losing any amount of mining workers puts you way behind in economy later on. Any "random" occurrence or mechanical error may make players feel cheated, as those errors will probably make them lose, and they feel that their opponent did not defeat them, but rather it was random or they only defeated themselves. Near the end of the game, decisions are meaningless, as the game has already been decided by past occurrences. This is much like many games of Chess, where only a few pieces on one side remain, yet the game continues with the king hopelessly getting in and out of check until a player concedes. While decisions are more meaningful with high slippery slope, the endgame is meaningless to play out, as the losing player has no fighting chance.

So the real question we're trying answer is "how far should the TO adjust the game's slippery slope in order to best test our skills?" With the above paragraph in mind it seems ideal to adjust the slippery slope so that decisions and leads always feel meaningful, but the losing player still always feels like he has a fighting chance. Fortunately, Melee already does this. With a high "tech skill" ceiling and deep nuances, and therefore heavy emphasis on these skills, differences in skill are usually significant enough for the players better at these skills to keep the lead no problem. However, those skills' emphasis is not so overpowering that players can afford lapses in thought or predicting the opponent correctly (well, in most cases); a player with superior (enough) mindreading and kill efficiency can still take the lead. Also, the game allows for low percentage deaths, which can cause leads to shift dynamically (negative slippery slope). The ability to gimp or kill efficiently, the high mechanical skill ceiling, and the meaningfulness of correct reads resulting in combos but eventually allowing a reset in the form of a new stock are what gives Melee it's perfect balance of positive and negative slippery slope. I'd say it's actually on the high side, but that's where the TO comes in...

As I explained before, playing in sets automatically causes negative slippery slope. We all like this slippery slope because it allows us to make up for errors due to "randomness" or self-inflicted errors. This is partly why long matches are preferred; it allows players to make up for their errors. Playing in sets is an easy fix. Any abnormal error like a pro suiciding 4 times in a round against an average player doesn't matter with the current ruleset. Sets also make the few correct decisions by the losing player not matter, however, which decreases the accuracy of result of the set.

The real reason we play 4 stocks then is that most fighting game communities and practically any competitive community and everyone that likes the idea of playing two outta three, i.e. everyone that likes a normalization of the lead after a certain point believes that you should have one mulligan (a mistake you decide just shouldn't count because it's not representative). It just so happens that the first round also allows you to figure out your opponent's skill level and play style. Since we like playing two outta three, someone decided that 4 stocks per match was all we had time for.

But if you wanted to change what's long been accepted as the norm, here the things to consider, as a summary:

-How long do you want the average set to be? Tournaments must be completed on time, so the time it takes must be predictable and short enough.
-How many times do you want to take the specific length of the lead and normalize it, causing negative slippery slope?
-How much do you want decisions (whether they be SDs or amazing combos) to matter?
-Do you want to allow things (counterpicks, stage selects, breathers) to happen more often that can only happen if you play more sets?

optional
-Do you want the game to be fun to watch? With high slippery slope your audience will leave before the game ends and with low slippery slope you won't have much of an audience.
-Do you want your game to be fun to play? High slippery slope causes random errors to be more frustrating while low slippery slope is boring.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
Sometimes the fact that it's always been done that way is enough of a reason to keep doing it that way

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Sometimes the fact that it's always been done that way is enough of a reason to keep doing it that way
I agree with this. 4 stocks is currently working very well. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Not true kane. Read this story.

http://www.americanliterature.com/Jackson/SS/TheLottery.html

Is it okay to do this just because of the fact it's been done for decades?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it hmm? Sure, but why should we stop at letting the community be where it is, when it could be better? When by expanding our minds, we can make the community become something greater than what it is.
We shouldn't alter the way it is because an adjustment is unnecessary. You suggest changing the rule set because of couldbes and maybes. You don't actually have a case to why another stock number would be better.

When making a change of such magnitude you have to consider the cost/benefit analysis. It's going to be a major pain for smashers to adjust to playing with a different number of stocks when they've become accustomed to the previous number for half a decade. And just what are they gaining from this change?

Purple

Hi guys!
Merkuri, I'm saying if we have the ability to change, and can use our minds to figure out logical reasons to why certain stock numbers would be better, why not use it? We have become comfortable with the four stock rule, however we have no reason to be that way. It's like religion, Christians are comfortable with the idea of going to heaven, therefore they have no reason to view their lives outside of what the bible gives them.

I'm not actually saying that we change the numbers now, I think you're just putting words into my mouth, re-reading my quote, I said nothing about actually changing the number, but instead expanding our minds to make the community become something greater than what it is. I don't have any reason to switch from four to five or any other number YET, however that's why this discussion is here.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
Not true kane. Read this story.

http://www.americanliterature.com/Jackson/SS/TheLottery.html

Is it okay to do this just because of the fact it's been done for decades?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it hmm? Sure, but why should we stop at letting the community be where it is, when it could be better? When by expanding our minds, we can make the community become something greater than what it is.
Key word is "sometimes". I'm not saying it's a universal rule, but in this particular scenario it's probably fitting. Once again, probably.

Also, here's a little thought. SSB is played at 5 stocks a match. Brawl is played at 3. It would make sense that the game that's in between, both chronologically and in actual gameplay speed, would be 4. Please note I'm in no way offering this as justification or concrete evidence, or even a decent argument for keeping it a 4 stocks, it's just something to think about.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Merkuri, I'm saying if we have the ability to change, and can use our minds to figure out logical reasons to why certain stock numbers would be better, why not use it? We have become comfortable with the four stock rule, however we have no reason to be that way. It's like religion, Christians are comfortable with the idea of going to heaven, therefore they have no reason to view their lives outside of what the bible gives them.

I'm not actually saying that we change the numbers now, I think you're just putting words into my mouth, re-reading my quote, I said nothing about actually changing the number, but instead expanding our minds to make the community become something greater than what it is. I don't have any reason to switch from four to five or any other number YET, however that's why this discussion is here.
Oh yeah I probably assumed things. I suppose if they can find a sensible reason that warrants them changing the rules then it should be open for discussion.

Why does SSB have five stocks? Why does Brawl have three?
At the top level dieing in Brawl takes longer and dieing in SSB takes shorter. It's why competitive matches in all 3 games usually take around the same time.

Purple

Hi guys!
Oh yeah I probably assumed things. I suppose if they can find a sensible reason that warrants them changing the rules then it should be open for discussion.

At the top level dieing in Brawl takes longer and dieing in SSB takes shorter. It's why competitive matches in all 3 games usually take around the same time.
Very true, however the amount of time that games take in smash seems ridiculous in comparison to other fighters. Wouldn't three stocks be sufficient for melee?

Merkuri

Smash Lord

Very true, however the amount of time that games take in smash seems ridiculous in comparison to other fighters. Wouldn't three stocks be sufficient for melee?
Nah, the Smash community likes long games. Also in a lot of Street Fighter 4 tournaments, each set is made up of 3 best of 3 rounds. Smash matches are hardly any longer than that.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
Why does SSB have five stocks? Why does Brawl have three?
Pretty much exactly what merkuri said

SSB stocks go by in like 10 seconds (if you're isai), brawl stocks go by about 5 minutes at a time

Having come from a game where it's painfully obvious who has more skill, regardless of the outcome of a match, (and where the better player often loss because of comp, map, RNG, other ******ry) I can see that 4 stocks is more than enough to determine who's a better player.

"It's too fast, wahh the better player loses sometimes because they aren't paying attention" isn't a good argument, and would only be used by someone who's never played another game competitively.

Purple

Hi guys!
Where do you live? lol, it's usually three best of two rounds here, I'm assuming somewhere in the east?

And from what I've seen yes, the smash community does like long games. This is okay in it's own right, but I'm also noticing because of our long games we tend to have HORRIBLE time syncing with other fighting game communities.

@Kanelol - Please don't exaggerate, looking at people besides Isai, the time for stocks to go by in SSB isn't all that bad. Brawl isn't all that bad either in certain matchups, most games are around 3 minutes long each, however the only reason they go out longer is because in brawl you're more likely to camp than in the other ssb games.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
Midwest yo. I'd smack someone in the face if they tried to play 3 stocks.

Well, not really, but I'd give 'em a weird look. Call it close mindedness if you want, it probably is, but I really can't see a valid argument for changing from 4 to anything else

Kanelol

Smash Lord
I won't claim to know anything about the majority of competitive fighting games, but most matches are what, a minute and a half?

Blubby

Smash Apprentice
saying a comeback wouldn't have happened if there where only 3 stocks is kinda stupid.

Why? if there were only 3stocks, m2k would've played otherwise, every player play a little bit different at his last stock.

Purple

Hi guys!
Basically. What I'm talking about now is the amount of time we take in comparison. While I'm not entirely saying.

"We should make our matches even in length to theirs" I am saying that because of how long our matches our, other fighting game members tend to lose interest and we don't get many opportunities to have our games hosted with theirs

Kanelol

Smash Lord
It's sort of a niche game anyway, I'm not too heartbroken about not being able to hang out with the SF peoples

In comparison, life for life, stock for stock, smash takes longer. But I'm pretty sure they play, in general, more games per set, so it evens out. Sort of.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
Well, that shows how much I know. I'm tapping out of this discussion due to being confronted with my humbling ignorance

THeDarKnesS

Smash Journeyman
I watched your interactions during the coaching thread, you seem very ditsy if you are a girl, or kinda dumb for a guy. You continue to come up with worthless "what if's" when they are in fact irrelevant and don't add to the discussion at all.

I don't mean add in length because they do actually make them longer, but its because people are wasting time trying to explain simple things to you. You cannot always just chalk everything up as "It's just my opinion."

Signia

Smash Lord
was my post too long

cuz it looks like no one read it

It took me an hour and a half to write that you jerks

Purple

Hi guys!
Actually I did read it Signia, and I agree with it, I don't know how else to comment.

ShutyoAUp - actually, that's just how I discuss with people, I ask a bunch of questions to make sure I get their opinion on the matter, to the point it's annoying if you're not interested in the conversation. THe problem with debates and discussions is that people can change threir view at any time, and you can't go on the assumption that "oh, he said this four pages ago, he probably still feels that way" therefore I ask questions. There's nothing wrong with asking too many questions, and making things as simple to understand for yourself as possible.

That being said

I don't see why you bring this up as a dumb guy or a ditsy girl comment. If a person likes to ask questions, it doesn't make them dumb. The person that feels they have all the answers and assumes is the dumb one in the long run. All I was doing was asking questions and bringing in 'what if's' along with semi-walls of conversation to prove my point. Sure, you can say that some of these comments were irrelevent, but many of the comments of pro-ban and anti-ban comments were just the same way, some were even biased.

However, it has nothing to do with the discussion at hand, in fact it's completely worthless to the conversation because you're deciding to personally attack me instead of converse on my opinion.

Everyone's comments in that thread were all based on their opinion.

THeDarKnesS

Smash Journeyman
My apologies Roxy. Asking questions is in no way dumb.

I just think you ask dumb questions.

*ba da pa*

Purple

Hi guys!
SYAU - why do job applications tend to have questionnaires that repeat the same question and give what if scenarios that are likely to not happen? Isn't that dumb?

Top Bottom